Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

2017 2304ks leather jack knife sofa

Anyone else think these don't have enough padding in the seat? I seem to sink down a lot. I'm thinking about making a 2 inch foam pad to fit the couch where you sit.
rcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

I have issues with mine as well. The spouse and I sink down in it as the springs are not very strong. I cut some small pieces of plywood and slide them between the cushion and the springs. Its a temp fix...but it works. Presently looking for a replacement sofa with is built more heavy duty
Refclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #3

we ought the a 2 inch piece of foam to lay on top of the couch. any thicker the bed hits it. We got some dense foam and had it upholstered. total cost of 200 bucks but its comfortable. no slouching to the springs.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

Thats a good option. I am trying to see if there is a better replacment sofa available of if the springs can be replaced with more heavy duty ones. The sofa is comfortable, just hate sinking into a hole
Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #5

I agree completely. We love our 2304ks but the soft sofa is a disapointment.
The 2 inch foam rubber, not memory foam, really helps stop the sinking in.
Also being in an upholstery material helps I think. We picked out material the was pretty heavy but expensive. They did a great job. The material pretty much matches the sofa color. It feels little stiff at first when you sit down but you settle right in. We also use a padded folding footrest from camping world. 15.99 I think. Pretty comfy now.
I would love to hear if you find out if the springs can be fixed or if you find a replacement that is better.
Rcguy1577@gmail.com
Old 07-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #6

Sofa

Still trying to find an Upholstery Shop to see if they can replace the springs with heavier duty ones. The Trailer is great....but the sofa SUCKS......BIG TIME. Have been unable to find a replacement..and have gotten no help from Forest River as it is out of warranty.......
Old 07-11-2017, 04:28 AM   #7

I inserted plywood under the springs, now it's too firm. I tried thinner plywood but it broke. I got some of those S springs from a couch that we threw out. I am going to try adding a few extra springs and taking the plywood out to see if that is any better. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Sofa

I tried the plywood as well....and it was like sitting on a board...but better than sinking down to the floor. I am still trying to find out if a furniture restorer can replace the existing spring with stronger ones...that would be the ideal solution. I have tried finding another sofa, but have only found the same one that I have, for a lot of $$$.

I would have thought that Forest River would have put in a better quality couch or one with heaver springs
Old 07-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #9

Has anyone tried the Sofa Savers or Seat Saver? Made to insert under sofa and chair cushions to help with sagging. We have not noticed the sagging issue with our sofa.
Max the Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:46 PM   #10

On my couch at least, there is no bottom cushion to lift up to put Sofa savers on . Jay
Old 07-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #11

Sofa

Yea...its a nice idea but it won't work with the way this sofa is made.

The quality of the sofa seems ok, its just the springs. Pretty shoddy for a Mfg to make a nice sofa and then install weak springs. Did they think that the only people that would be sitting on it only weighed 50 lbs? I would have thought Forest River would have done a better job of reviewing the products it installs in their units....
Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #12

I like the seat but the back seems way to puffy for my liking especially when turned into a bed. Thinking of having the back cushions redone to match the seat.
Doug357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #13

Sofa in the 2304DS

Since the sofa is not used for a bed (it just folds flat to allow clearance for the Murphy Bed to fold down) , the back is not an issue. But sitting on the couch and sinking down into a hole is not acceptable...... Very poor construction, not up to Forest River quality.....
Old 10-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #14

Sofa

After much research...I finally addressed the sagging couch issue. I took out the bottom portion of the couch (4 nuts and it came right out) and took it to an upholstery shop and had them repair it. They took it apart and installed 3" heavy duty nylon webbing, intertwining it among the springs and a layer of carpet to protect the springs from the padding.....and that fixed it. They stated that the frame was great but the the support system and padding was of poor design and quality. It was a little pricey...about $300....but a lot cheaper than a new couch...and its a quality fix
Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refclown View Post
After much research...I finally addressed the sagging couch issue. I took out the bottom portion of the couch (4 nuts and it came right out) and took it to an upholstery shop and had them repair it. They took it apart and installed 3" heavy duty nylon webbing, intertwining it among the springs and a layer of carpet to protect the springs from the padding.....and that fixed it. They stated that the frame was great but the the support system and padding was of poor design and quality. It was a little pricey...about $300....but a lot cheaper than a new couch...and its a quality fix
Would be great if you could post a picture.
BooneDocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #16

I already have it back assembled....but the first chance I get, I will try and take a picture of what was done.....
Old 10-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #17

Sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneDocks View Post
Would be great if you could post a picture.
Attached are the before pictures.... The bottom cushion (and the top) come off with a 1/2" ratchet wrench . Bottom and top cushions are only held on with 4 nuts each, 2 per side. Remove the nuts and the cushion lifts right off. Took me 10 min to remove them....

I did not take an pictures before I reinstalled them.....my bad.... When I get a chance, I will try aClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3890.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	153750

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3891.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	153751nd take one or two...showing how them repaired it....
Old 10-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #18

Before I went the springs route, jut for laughs I got a near scrap piece of 1/4 plywood to replace the 3/4 that I had in there. There was enough to do about half the couch completely and part of the other side. I wanted to see if this size would flex enough and not break. It worked! Now I need a complete piece for the other side and I will be happy. This may not work for everyone, but I am very happy. I would love to see the pics of the bottom of Refclowns couch. Jay
Old 10-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #19

See the attached as this is what repair was made by the upholstery shop....and its works great (even tho I am not a light weight - 220 lbs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3919.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	153798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3920.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	153799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3921.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	153800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3922.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	153801  
Old 10-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #20

That really looks nice. I weigh 240. I may have to reconsider the plywood if I can find a shop around here. Jay

Tags