Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #1

2017 Mini-lite 1905 with cabinets?

In place of upper fold down bunk! Just saw on YouTube from Zoomers RV in Indiana that posted 1 mo ago one just received that has cabinets and not the upper bunk.

Opens up the space and provides utility if bunk not planned as being used, which would be our expected case. Also has only larger window on that side instead of the two smaller windows on top of each other. Lastly fridge door has same patterned wood as footer of Murphy bed.

DW and I really liked it and will be talking with dealer we ordered one from 2 weeks ago to see how we can get it like equipped like this. They said delivery is 6-8 weeks so hopefully we're in time.

Please comment if you know anything about the new configuration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #2

Pros and Cons of bunk on 1905

Palms,

I picked up my new 1905 a few weeks ago. It has the top bunk and like you I never saw this other configuration. Here are some considerations:
1. Will you ever need that top bunk? The dinette only sleeps one so if you only need to sleep 2-3 in the camper then the cabinets are a good option. PS - you will never be able to have someone sleep on the floor in this camper, there's just not enough room.
2. We didn't need the bunk on our last camping trip, so we used it for storage. However, it is NOT comfortable sitting in the dinette with the bunk down unless you are about 5'6" or less.
3. The big window is a big plus, I like it.
4. There is very little storage in the 1905, in fact we use the large cabinet in the bathroom for more than just bathroom stuff.

Bottom line: Looks like a great option.

I personally think Forest River does a poor job of providing updated sales literature to its dealers. It doesn't surprise me that your dealer didn't know about this layout. In fact, the Rockwood brochure online is still for the 2016 models (maybe that's a conscious decision on their part...don't know).
Mach1905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Now Camping Year-Round!!

You won't see the 2017 brochure until late September at the earliest.

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #4

DW and I talked about it and the chances of having someone come with us are almost nil so we opted for the 1905 which is now the dinette/single bed vs. The 1902 which is the double bunk. The dealer was able to confirm it and although we don't have a VIN no. or delivery date, it has been confirmed.

We've been noticing the lack of outside storage and limited inside storage and agree that those cabinets will be a welcome addition. Do you know if the 30 amp cord and/or the cable wire will fit in the little compartment where the water filter is in the rear sidewalk side by the way?

We're also thinking of cutting those windshield shields that they sell to fit the small and larger windows in the bed area and the large window in the dinette one. We already got one for the door, as well as the cushion that goes on the vent on top of the bed with the reflective cover as we like a darker sleeping area.

Hopefully FR will have the brochures out soon but it doesn't really matter at this point as we're expecting the 1905. Matter of fact, later on today will call the dealer to see if they've gotten an update!
Old 09-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

Rockwood mini lite 1905 storage

There's very little room in the area where the water filter is. The 30 amp cord is actually very large. In each of the two outside storage areas you can put a 5 gal bucket and there's still lots of room for other supplies (though nothing that big). At the foot of the murphy bed I'm going to put a bungee cargo net (similar to what you might find in the cargo area of SUVs) to store a few things there. Great size camper for two.
Mach1905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #6

On the subject of what can be stored in which compartments, here's what we have:

Front drivers side storage: water hoses, power cable, extension cord, sewer lines and fittings (only the stuff we haven't needed to use yet, these will be moved away from fresh water hoses once we use them), box of random "starter kit" stuff (I just realized, I should probably clean out/organize this compartment), and there's a little room to spare

Front passenger side storage: leveling stuff (10 lynx, 2 lynx chocks, 6 6x6x2 wooden blocks, 1 6x6x6 block), the table that mounts on the outside, some other random junk, and room to spare

Rear passenger side storage (where the water filter is): 6 solar powered lights (think 4 inch diameter ball on the end of a stake), some rope light stuff, a couple other small things (this compartment is definitely smaller, but you can fit a bit in it)

Under the couch (this is a great storage space, don't forget about it, and storing here doesn't interfere with operating the couch/bed): bunk ladder (which you won't have it sounds like), grill, pickleball set, spikeball set, some kid's toys, small suitcase

If I remember I'll take some pictures of the various storage spaces when I get home.
jstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

You guys are more than awesome! Jason you're my new hero. I plan on hopefully adding the 5" fence post and cap modification somewhere near the rear for the sewer hose and connections. We already have two sections of plastic gutter that fit inside each other where we used to place the sewer hose when we had the MH and it should fit inside this contraption as well. Will need to see the framing on the bottom of the 1905 when it gets here to see if it's possible. We also got the Andersen leveler which should allow for some more room on the passenger side front and have 4 Camco chocks that will also go in there. I take it that the grill you have under the bed doesn't fit through the two narrow openings of the front compartments?
Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

The grill probably would fit in one of the outside compartments, but it would take up most of the space, and I'd rather have that space for stuff that's always going to be outside/dirty (hoses, cords, blocks, etc). Keeping the grill inside forces us to actually clean it a bit after use, so maybe it'll last longer than our home grills. :P To be clear, this is the grill that goes with the camper and can mount on the outside rail.

As far as sewer line storage, we've got 2 10 foot lines, have only used 1 so far, and it stores in the rear bumper just fine. There's plenty of room for the second one as well, if we ever need it. I'm less certain what I'm going to do with all the fittings once we start using those. May just get some sort of water-tight box or a wet bag or something to keep them in.
jstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #9

I added shelves in cabinets in our 1905. We have cherry, Lowes had exact match shelf stock. I doubled all of my cabinet space. There was so much wasted space in the cabinets. We like our big little camper
Jhochst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #10

I did the vinyl fence post cover with plastic gutter inside for our rhino hose. Holds everything and gloves. Painted back and mounted under camper. Being a smaller camper, i put clear plastic corner protectors on all corners and bunk. We still have one that uses the bunk. Will become storage one day.
Jhochst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #11

10 lbs. of sugar in a 5 lb. bag as the saying goes!

Tags
cabinets