Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

2020 2104s seeking input

Summer @ 120 seemed like lots of heat from the front.

Winter in CO in the low 20ís defiantly felt cool creating in through there.

Iíve seen where people have used foam in the enclosed storage with the dedicated front bed.

Murphy bed folds up in a compartment that I have only explored to add screws to the alum support. FR punched three of the screws on the floor price though the alum. Nice big stainless washers better distributed the force. Anyway, has anyone insulated that compartment and if so how.

The storage area under the couch is jus open. Not sure how to add insulation and still leave access.

Any ideas appreciated.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #2

fella10 has opened up the side of the space that the head of bed moves through (it's not really a "storage area"). Look at the last pic in fella10's post #8 here:

Beefing up Murphy Bed

You can see that the bed only has a couple inches clearance to the front of the camper when it's down. You can see that as you raise the bed, the head of the bed will sweep an arch down until it's only an inch or so above the floor. So you really don't have a lot of opportunity to insulate this area. I guess you could come up with a curved piece of foam that might help some. See below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy bed insulation.png
Views:	23
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	219062

Let us know if you come up with something.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #3

The front of the trailer should be insulated with the same 1.5"-2" Styrofoam they use for the exterior side walls. Does the 2020 have a front window. My 2017 doesn't. Probably a lot of heat/cold is coming through that window. You can get some combination of reflective bubble wrap & foam to block the window when needed.

You can also look into adding foam board to the inside of the exterior compartment doors which are only ~1" thick. If you search for this or the above window treatment you should get some good ideas.

Specific to our 2104s I had thought about using foam board to cover the sides of the Murphy bed area open to the external storage. I had also thought about using foam to completely block off the "pass through" under couch storage when cold (again from the outside). The few things I keep in there would easily fit in the back of the truck.

Jim M.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
fella10 has opened up the side of the space that the head of bed moves through (it's not really a "storage area"). Look at the last pic in fella10's post #8 here:

Beefing up Murphy Bed

You can see that the bed only has a couple inches clearance to the front of the camper when it's down. You can see that as you raise the bed, the head of the bed will sweep an arch down until it's only an inch or so above the floor. So you really don't have a lot of opportunity to insulate this area. I guess you could come up with a curved piece of foam that might help some. See below.

Attachment 219062

Let us know if you come up with something.
When I squeezed into the front compartment (it stores the end of the bed...doesn't that make it storage..ha ha) to fix the bed support I didn't look to see how or how much the bed filled that space when folded up. Was hoping someone had played with this so I could cheat a fix. Kind of like I did to fix the support using Fella10's information.

Actually, I should open it back up and take some photo's as it's a little different than his photo's. I'm pretty bad about before and after photo's. Usually just dive in and fix it, then think "why didn't I document that".
theHookers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
The front of the trailer should be insulated with the same 1.5"-2" Styrofoam they use for the exterior side walls. Does the 2020 have a front window. My 2017 doesn't. Probably a lot of heat/cold is coming through that window. You can get some combination of reflective bubble wrap & foam to block the window when needed.

You can also look into adding foam board to the inside of the exterior compartment doors which are only ~1" thick. If you search for this or the above window treatment you should get some good ideas.

Specific to our 2104s I had thought about using foam board to cover the sides of the Murphy bed area open to the external storage. I had also thought about using foam to completely block off the "pass through" under couch storage when cold (again from the outside). The few things I keep in there would easily fit in the back of the truck.

Jim M.
Yes, the window. Cold. Don't take warm showers at night when it's 20 degrees outside. The inside of the window ices over by morning. Inside. Ice. Over. So I've been told anyway. The window is one of our favorite things about this trailer. The cold from the window we can deal with. The condensation we can control too. Fun stuff you learn.

I've seen a few posts where people have insulated under the bed on a fixed front bed setup, but did not find where anyone had with a Murphy Bed. Thanks for the thoughts. Ideas lead to more ideas. Thanks.
theHookers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Like your old doors at home, single pane glass will freeze. We'll be camping in GA over the Xmas holidays. Not sure what temps we'll hit. I will be taking showers... Hot ones at that. We'll see if keeping a window cracked helps with the moisture. Not sure how high the heat will be set to. The wife and dog like it cold.

Jim M.

Tags