Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #1

2020 Mini lite 2512s any one have thoughts

My wife and I are looking to move from our 2013 Roo 21ss to the new 2020 mini lite 2512. We like the layout seems to have much more going for it and would be towing with a 2019 Ram 1500. I haven’t seen anything posted on a 2512 and was hoping someone out there may have one or looking at one that may have thoughts. Good or bad? We also looked at the 2511 and 2506.. keep going to the 2512.. appreciate any comments. We do love the roo but are looking for a little more comfort as in a more real bed and keeping within the towing capability with some room to spare of the truck.

gscarter100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 AM   #2

We recently upgraded to the2511s ,So far so good , Only had it for about 2 months now and have used most everything in our driveway. Real test coming Friday, What sold us was the rear bathroom. Will keep you posted.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Explore

We also went with the 2511S after comparing to the 2512S. Rear bath, shower door, large sliding bath and bedroom doors, and TV viewing angle is what we preferred over the 2512S.
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
Grammar Pedant

I hate these floorplan comparison threads without pics. So, I'll just add a couple:

2511S:

2512S:

I've not been in either, but, on paper, I'd probably lean toward the 2511S.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #5

My wife and I are looking at the 2109 with seriousness. We've been in both the 2511 and 2512. We are not fans of having to bump a slide to get through the trailer. But in the 2512, the deal breaker is that you cannot even use the bathroom without kicking the slide open. That put a squash on that debate.
2109 or possibly 2511 for us.
yankeebobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Explore

Actually viewing both trailers at the dealership (as we did) was our comparison.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

Just another option

We were looking at the 2512's but got concerned about seating area.... all that's there is a sofa (or 2 recliner like chairs).... we thought about where guests might sit.. to that end we went with Flagstaff Super Lite 26FKBS.. front kitchen bedroom slide... offers sofa and dinette seating along with an oversized bedroom .. the bathroom is the smaller standard size but then again.. how much time do you spend in the bathroom.. the 2512's are nice but we really like the room in the super lite 26fkbs... just my 2 cents.. by the way.. you can use the full kitchen dinette area as well as the bathroom / bedroom with all slides closed.. that's the thing that set us over the top..
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #8

2020 Mini lite 2512s any one have thoughts

Everyone has their personal preferences and use their trailers for different types of camping. We camp long weekend, take cross country trips and spend 2 months as snowbirds each winter so our needs/desires may be completely different than some. Here’s our take n the two models.

We debated between the 2511s and 2512s in the Flagstaff brand. We chose the Flagstaff 25FBLS over Rockwood only because the dealer had what we wanted in stock. We spent a lot of time on the different dealers lots going back and forth between the two trailers. Sitting in the theater seating and imagining how we would live in each of these models. We thought the 2511s kitchen, entry wardrobe and panty cabinets were a great idea and had us leaning towards that floor plan. However the more we sat in each trailer the more we felt the 2511s was more like home. The 2512s felt cramped and the immovable tv wasn’t going to work for us. Good luck with your choice.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #9

Thoughts

We have Mini Lite 2502KS .

I HATED REFRIGERATOR IN SLIDE in our past hybrid!!! Will never do that again!

Also check that sliding door allows restroom to be accessible when slide in.

Kitchen across the back looks nice.

Happy Hunting!!!
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYAH OUT THERE! View Post

I HATED REFRIGERATOR IN SLIDE in our past hybrid!!! Will never do that again!
This begs another point. I've read that the fridge on a slide also presents some additional issues (climate control, etc) due to several factors. One being that it jets out into potential climate (sun, etc) and another that the insulation factor is lessened. Did you find this to be the case?
Old 07-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Site Team

For us! We'd choose the 2511S, simply based on the theater seating. But neither has the amount of kitchen counterspace that the DW requires. Our current TT has both.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #12
Explore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeebobo View Post
This begs another point. I've read that the fridge on a slide also presents some additional issues (climate control, etc) due to several factors. One being that it jets out into potential climate (sun, etc) and another that the insulation factor is lessened. Did you find this to be the case?
Zero issues with our refrigerator that slides out in our 2511S.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #13

Frig

Since the frig is in a slide there is no venting to the roof. The vent is therefore in the TT wall and also has fan. The vent is up high in direct sun. The fan runs constantly and is quite annoying noise wise. We always had to open the fan cover to cool it off better, which left quite a bit of exposure to the elements. Fan also is quite a draw on power. Keeping the internal fridge/freezer temperature was always a worry! I know many people have posted about adding computer fans, etc. but we didn’t want to get into that. For multiple reasons we wanted out of a hybrid, we owned 2 in 10 years, when we started looking for TT there was NO WAY we would consider a frig in a slide. That said, all 3 units we had have had kitchen sink in the slide and we never had any plumbing/use issues.
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #14

Trailer choice

Because of issues Yankeebobo listed and the problems of running the frig. in a slide. With the slide in ,it is often a problem getting the heat up and out while driving. I will pass on any frig. in a slide floor plan.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #15

With the fridge in the slide on 2511s, makes the living area seem large. Everything but the bed is accessible with the slide in. I also have had no issues with the fridge. Cools better than my home unit. Haven't noticed any fan noise. Rear bath was a plus for us. We did modify the counter extension on hinges, solves storage and set up and still allows access to the BR. It's really needed most of the time for food prep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarter100 View Post
My wife and I are looking to move from our 2013 Roo 21ss to the new 2020 mini lite 2512. We like the layout seems to have much more going for it and would be towing with a 2019 Ram 1500. I haven’t seen anything posted on a 2512 and was hoping someone out there may have one or looking at one that may have thoughts. Good or bad? We also looked at the 2511 and 2506.. keep going to the 2512.. appreciate any comments. We do love the roo but are looking for a little more comfort as in a more real bed and keeping within the towing capability with some room to spare of the truck.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #16

We had a deposit down on the 2512S. The salesman called us the following day to say that he couldn’t deliver the extras we wanted (a specific rear/side observation camera, 2nd battery, cover for the trailer). We went to a dealer an hour further away who has the Flagstaff MicroLites and ended up with the equivalent of the 2507S. It has a very open feel due to the Murphy bed, which my husband was dead set against at first. There’s also a ton of storage space and the biggest outdoor kitchen. And yes, you can access both the fridge and bathroom with the slide in. We spend a decent amount of time in our trailer when we’re camping during the summer (like now), so this ended up being the best choice for us.

Good luck!
Micro Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #17

Thank you everyone for your feed back. All good points very much appreciated.

So we have a slight change in that I spoke with our sales rep and gave him some feed back with regards to some concerns my wife had about the 2512 and having extra bed for possible grand kids and as well gets seating...we do camp with other couples and sometimes we do eat indoors... question was is there annoy other model that can accommodate addition sleeping and also guests.. he recommended the ultra light 2604 or 2606.

Judy (my wife) stopped by on her way home from work this evening and got a tour of both and liked them.. will both tour again this weekend and I will get first hand look other than you tube videos and then will hit the numbers and hopefully decide which is going to fit our use and future use better.

Glad there is no rush. We do want to get the right one and hope to get some good use and long life 10 years or so out of what ever we decide.

Also talked with mom who is a class A driver.. her comment hit home. Get something a bit more than you think is what you want as when you get it you may wish you got the one slightly larger! Thanks mom for making it a bit mor difficult, but I do understand what she means.. I feel like we did that with our roo..and is why we are searching now.

I know there are lots of brands..models etc.. Rockwood has always been in my blood (even when I didn’t have a trailer) just as is my Rams..

Keeping our fingers crossed we can both agree on something and compromises will be made and live happily ever after!

gscarter100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your feed back. All good points very much appreciated.

So we have a slight change in that I spoke with our sales rep and gave him some feed back with regards to some concerns my wife had about the 2512 and having extra bed for possible grand kids and as well gets seating...we do camp with other couples and sometimes we do eat indoors... question was is there annoy other model that can accommodate addition sleeping and also guests.. he recommended the ultra light 2604 or 2606.

Judy (my wife) stopped by on her way home from work this evening and got a tour of both and liked them.. will both tour again this weekend and I will get first hand look other than you tube videos and then will hit the numbers and hopefully decide which is going to fit our use and future use better.

Glad there is no rush. We do want to get the right one and hope to get some good use and long life 10 years or so out of what ever we decide.

Also talked with mom who is a class A driver.. her comment hit home. Get something a bit more than you think is what you want as when you get it you may wish you got the one slightly larger! Thanks mom for making it a bit mor difficult, but I do understand what she means.. I feel like we did that with our roo..and is why we are searching now.

I know there are lots of brands..models etc.. Rockwood has always been in my blood (even when I didn’t have a trailer) just as is my Rams..

Keeping our fingers crossed we can both agree on something and compromises will be made and live happily ever after!
The Ultra Lite 2511S has a very similar floor plan to the MicroLite 2606, but is about 4 feet longer. In light of what you just said, you probably want to go with the longer unit, but for us, having a smaller footprint, better gas mileage, ease of towing (and ease of maneuvering in gas stations) and less money spent outweigh more space. But we downgraded as much as we possibly could from our previous unit which was a 40’ five slide fifth wheel.

You’re doing the right thing by taking your time and considering all the possibilities.
Micro Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
[...] having extra bed for possible grand kids and as well gets seating [...] question was is there annoy other model that can accommodate addition sleeping and also guests.. [...]
This is where the old adage of "buy your 2nd RV first" comes into play. You don't want to get a new Mini Lite and then figure out that it's just too small. Nobody wins there. Well, maybe the dealership wins ... and the people who get a good deal on a barely used Mini Lite.

So, from that perspective, you need something that offers a couple extra sleeping surfaces for kids and then maybe a second set of seats for guests. But, you probably don't want a bunkhouse, since the kids don't seem like they'll be a fixture. Bunks would take up precious real-estate that wouldn't be used most of the time, I'm guessing.

Depending on the kids, you could find a floorplan with a foldout couch for them to share a bed. Paired with some other couch/captains chairs, you'd have the second set of seats for guests. And, as you know, you're no longer talking about a Mini Lite.

The rub is length and weight. The Mini Lite is a nice 26', <6,800 lb trailer that pairs with your 1/2 ton very well. Going to an Ultra Lite (or equiv) is getting you into 30'+ and 7,500 lb+ trailers. That's going to be tougher on your 2012 1/2 ton truck.

For maximum flexibility, I'd look for a plan that had all three of: folding couch, theater seating (or 2nd couch), and a dinette. Dinettes always fold down, so that you'd have two sleeping surfaces: the folding couch and the dinette. And, you'd have two sitting areas: the couch and the theater seating.

Something like this 2906RS would be optimal for flexibility, but it's 35' and >9,000 lbs.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Mom View Post
We had a deposit down on the 2512S. The salesman called us the following day to say that he couldn’t deliver the extras we wanted (a specific rear/side observation camera, 2nd battery, cover for the trailer). We went to a dealer an hour further away who has the Flagstaff MicroLites and ended up with the equivalent of the 2507S. It has a very open feel due to the Murphy bed, which my husband was dead set against at first. There’s also a ton of storage space and the biggest outdoor kitchen. And yes, you can access both the fridge and bathroom with the slide in. We spend a decent amount of time in our trailer when we’re camping during the summer (like now), so this ended up being the best choice for us.

Good luck!
I don't suppose you can keep the slide in with the bed down can you? On paper, it looks like a hard no, but I can't be sure in reality

Tags
lite, mini lite