Old 09-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #1

2104s storage tank locations?

Anyone know the locations of the gray, black and fresh tanks? I'm curious because we often drive home and dump the gray and black in our home sewer line. Wondering if the weight would affect the tongue weight and handling.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

Just brought our 2104s home for a trip prep. The fresh water tank is approximately 5í behind the front wall of the trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0980.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	216037
The gray is behind the rear most axle.

Name:	IMG_0979.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	216038
The black tank is about 2í in front of the rear bumper. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	216039

I have only towed a few times with the fresh tank completely filled. I did notice the increased weight but it pulled fine. I believe the fresh water tank filled adds another 307lbs! I canít imagine a time you would pull the trailer with all three tanks filled. Anyhow, hope this was of some help.

Dirtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #3

Thanks so much. I was afraid that the black and grey were all the way behind the axles. Seems like it would be bad for handling to have a lot of weight back there. What year is your trailer?
Old 09-28-2019, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerdude View Post
Thanks so much. I was afraid that the black and grey were all the way behind the axles. Seems like it would be bad for handling to have a lot of weight back there. What year is your trailer?

Ours is a 2017
Old 09-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyspokes View Post
Ours is a 2017
Is that a 2017 2104S? Did yours come with the enclosed underbelly and you removed it? I can't tell from the pictures. Ours is enclosed and the black plastic bows down under the fresh tank. I haven't poked around enough to tell if the tank is sagging or if the factory supports are of the proper strength. Looking at your pictures the plastic could not be flush with the frame: supports, hose, etc look to be in the way. So some bow might be expected.

I only traveled with a full tank once just as a test to see how it handled and to make sure the internal pump was working. I bought it used so I don't know if the previous owner traveled full or not. I'm hoping the supports are OK, don't need to be worrying about that.

Thanks
Jim M.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

It is a 2017 2104S, we bought it new. I have not modified anything on the bottom of the trailer. There is a black ďskinĒ on the bottom of the floor. All three tanks are supported below that skin. Here is a better (?) picture of the fresh water tank taken from the front end of the trailer.

Name:	IMG_0998.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	216274
This shows the supports for the tank.

Name:	IMG_1001.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	216275

I have not had any issues with the supports but have read on this forum that the supports can/have been an issue. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

I donít normally fill the fresh water but we traveled 45 miles on a back country dirty road in Wyoming earlier this season with the fresh tank filled and had no issues. The oven door tried to bounce off its hinges though. The size of Brown Trout made it a worthwhile trip.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyspokes View Post
It is a 2017 2104S, we bought it new. I have not modified anything on the bottom of the trailer. There is a black “skin” on the bottom of the floor. All three tanks are supported below that skin. Here is a better (?) picture of the fresh water tank taken from the front end of the trailer.
Attachment 216274
This shows the supports for the tank.
Attachment 216275

I have not had any issues with the supports but have read on this forum that the supports can/have been an issue. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

I don’t normally fill the fresh water but we traveled 45 miles on a back country dirty road in Wyoming earlier this season with the fresh tank filled and had no issues. The oven door tried to bounce off its hinges though. The size of Brown Trout made it a worthwhile trip.
Look at that "unused" slot in the vertical face of the L angle in your 2nd pic. That is the weak spot. The L angle will buckle at that slot (and the other one, too).

See first pic here:

2109S Fresh Water Tank Brackets (Bent?)

That being said, there are some folks on the forum without the unused slot and they've reported bent supports. So I would say: tow with a full tank at your own risk. Or beef up the supports.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Look at that "unused" slot in the vertical face of the L angle in your 2nd pic. That is the weak spot. The L angle will buckle at that slot (and the other one, too).

See first pic here:

2109S Fresh Water Tank Brackets (Bent?)

That being said, there are some folks on the forum without the unused slot and they've reported bent supports. So I would say: tow with a full tank at your own risk. Or beef up the supports.

Appreciate the link. That was a very enlightening read. I have some metal modifications in the near future.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

Below are what I was trying to describe. My trailer has the black corrugated plastic under the bottom mounted to the frame rails. I believe its called coroplast. It should be nailed on and then black foam sealed along the inside.

Since the support brackets for the tanks, and some of the hoses run below the level of the frame rails its not possible for it to sit flat. The question is does the bow I see come from this, or are the supports bowing, or both.

Removing it to take a look would be another 3 or 4 projects I don't have time or money to do so for now I'll just keep an eye on it. I'm in the camp that you should be able to travel with a full-ish fresh water tank otherwise whats the point. I did fill it once as a test, not sure when if I would need to in the future.

Thanks
Jim M.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front_side_underside.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	216378   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_underside.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	216379  
Old 10-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Below are what I was trying to describe. My trailer has the black corrugated plastic under the bottom mounted to the frame rails. I believe its called coroplast. It should be nailed on and then black foam sealed along the inside.

Since the support brackets for the tanks, and some of the hoses run below the level of the frame rails its not possible for it to sit flat. The question is does the bow I see come from this, or are the supports bowing, or both.

Removing it to take a look would be another 3 or 4 projects I don't have time or money to do so for now I'll just keep an eye on it. I'm in the camp that you should be able to travel with a full-ish fresh water tank otherwise whats the point. I did fill it once as a test, not sure when if I would need to in the future.

Thanks
Jim M.
Some people have made a U-shaped cut in the coroplast (with the top of the U towards the front of the trailer in an appropriate location. Then you drop the back of the U down and see in to figure out what's going on. Then you can just tape up the tongue of the U with Gorilla tape when you're done with your inspection.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Some people have made a U-shaped cut in the coroplast (with the top of the U towards the front of the trailer in an appropriate location. Then you drop the back of the U down and see in to figure out what's going on. Then you can just tape up the tongue of the U with Gorilla tape when you're done with your inspection.
Thats actually a good thought. You can't really tell from the picture but the front is a metal plate that looks screwed in place, almost like its meant to be removed. Since I need to removed the hinges on a fake door to get to my water filter, heater, and pump (normal maintenance items) I find it hard to believe that the would leave any type of easy access to the underbelly.

Still think I need to go with ignorance is bliss. Nothing good can come from looking in there.
Jim M.

Tags
210, cat, location, storage, tank