Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 11:13 PM   #1

2109s First Major Outing Report

Took our 2015 2109s to Ludington, MI for 16 days. Towed just fine.

I think that the 2109s is a good size for 2 people, we brought everything that we needed. I'm sure a larger one would hold more and we would fill every space. I definitely prefer the sofa over a dinette. Now as to that monster of a table. Many have mentioned that they replace it with a folding lifetime or similar, I would like to but the DW likes it (she doesn't have to move it). I did find one positive use for it, it worked well as an anchor for a bike stand I bought at lowes (Shop Blue Hawk Heavy-Duty Bike Stand at Lowes.com). A couple of bungees kept the bikes stable.

Since this was an upgrade from a pup, it was sure nice to not battle the bugs that invariably sneak in a pup. Watching a dvd on a rainy night was nice too. The DW found some nice towel racks for the bathroom door.

The two problems I did experience (going back to the dealer for these), were hitching and the TV. Getting it hitched (the lock down piece or whatever it is called) was a chore. A couple times I had to rock back and forth with the SUV to get it to drop. I'm guessing the ball is at a slight angle. Works fine in the driveway. The TV gets nothing on cable. Tried it at home also to no avail. TV works when removed and hooked directly to cable. I'm guessing something isn't connected or connected right in the wiring. Over the air was useless up there also, I am able to bring in about 8 channels at home in my driveway, but nothing up there. It was odd since the next camper over had a similar antenna and they were watching TV.

What would/will I change? I would replace those storage door locks with something that works smoother and would add a latch. No need to lock those doors sometimes, but you have to otherwise it is left with a gap for critters and rain to get in. I would add some kind of support to hold up the under bed storage top up while you rooting around in there. I wish it had a stainless steel sink instead of plastic. We are used to sticking hot pans in the sink to cool down.

So far I'm happy with the choice we made. I had 5 people stop and ask about it and 3 that looked inside, that was nice.
iamanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #2

Did you find the almost invisible antenna booster button? Try that.
The think I hate is that you have to unplug the TV and pull the power cord through the wall to take TV outside. It would be better if power cord detached from back of TV and have an extra cord for outside use. After battling to get that TV cord back through the wall a couple times, I fished a short extension cord through the wall to leave there permanently .
Other that that, we love the camper. Table is heavy though.
iefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #3

Yes I tried that button, I also tried the sat cable in case they cross wired it. I also fished a short extension cord through those grommets to make removing the TV easier. The other thing that I would have done different if I was a FR engineer and that would be to use two adjustable lights like are over the sofa over the bed instead of that one bright one. I feel like I am trying to sleep while laying on the beach at high noon when the DW is reading at night!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #4

I like the bike stand. Do you carry your bikes in the TT? As for that heavy table we traveled with it laying on the bed, it is now in the basement & free to anyone who pays shipping .

I thought that the hitch problems was just me not hooking it up correctly. Mine came unhooked about 1/4 mile after crossing the Conowingo dam with the jack sliding under the rear bumper & emptying the fully loaded refrigerator in the process. I now look under the hitch each time to ensure it is seated & put a safety in in as well.

For the television, the connectors are not very good. Check to insure that they are not loose. Also check that boost button for OTA reception, you should see a small green light when it is on.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #5

Yes I carry the bikes in the TT, didn't want to void the frame warranty. Yes the OTA light is on. I tried every permutation, for both OTA and cable. I wonder if the booster is less than stellar for OTA and if the cable is just not connected.

One other problem I noticed (will leave the TT with dealer for this when I am done camping in the fall) is there are several 1 or 2 inch cracks in the ceiling radiating from the vent. I am guessing they didn't cut the opening in that paneling quite big enough and the roof stressing while bouncing along the road rubbed just enough to delaminate and crack the surface. It is annoying since I will have to empty everything out of the TT before I leave it with the dealer (they don't lock them to prevent people from breaking the doors looking inside for something to steal.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #6

We just had extra keys made for the storage doors and leave the keys in the locks except when we leave the campsite for an extended period.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanomad View Post
Yes the OTA light is on. I tried every permutation, for both OTA and cable. I wonder if the booster is less than stellar for OTA and if the cable is just not connected.
Something is wrong. Our TV works fine both OTA (where stations are available) and using cable. The booster does a fine job. I did notice that cable doesn't work well if you forget to turn the booster off.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s