Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #41

GearHd6, I also would like to see the repaired picture(s). I have not had that problem but I would like to save the pictures in case it hits me also and I can show the repair people. Thanks in advance!

Gus
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #42

If there is still daylight by the time I get home I'll take a few pictures and post them up.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #43

Here are the pictures of the repair.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #44

Thank you GearHd6. I intend to save those photos in case I need the repair.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #45

Thanks for the pics! It definitely does look like it will stay put now.

My trailer is in the shop right now. I'm still waiting to see what their plan of attack is.
Nick1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #46

I mentioned this issue to my dealer when we bought earlier this summer. He said they addressed the issue in the later 13's and 14's. he said the problem was where those holes in the metal brackets were. He said the brackets bent at that point as it was weaker and showed me a set that he had changed. When he showed me ours they did look different.
mini-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #47

Good to know! At least they realized it was a problem and corrected it. I still think the brackets should be of thicker steel. My brackets did bend at those unneeded slots.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #48

In April I bought a 20109S Rockwood RV. Due to having cataract surgery had to wait to take a trip. Was getting ready to take a trip to go to Branson Missouri and found out my water tank frame was bent. Instead took it to camping world to have it repaired before I went on a trip which is where I bought it. The only time it had any water in it was when we did the PDI. I have not put any water in it since I brought it home. The tank was empty when I left from the Pdi to bring it home. Camping world is just doing a band aid job to repair it, was told you're not supposed to travel with a full tank of water. I asked why not and was told that the industry says not to travel with a full tank of water. So I asked why can you not travel with a full tank of water that makes no sense, how are you supposed to Boonedock without a full tank of water. Was told he was going to check into that and see why that is an issue. I also called Forest River and explain the situation to them also, was told the reason why you should not carry a full tank of water because of the sloshing while you travel. I told him that made no sense whatsoever, the man also told me that he was going to look into it and check out to why the frames are not strong enough and causing this problem..
sandysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #49

The whole thing is a bad design, for one, they put slots in the framework and both my brackets bent right at the slots. Second, my vent pipe was not tucked against the bottom of the camper so it had a low spot that could trap water. So now when you fill the water tank the vent is basically blocked until the tank builds up enough pressure from filling to blow the vent line clear. By then, the damage is done and you've pressurized the tank and bent the brackets before the camper even traveled down the road.

Read through your owners manual, there is a section about traveling with water in the tank. No where in the manual does it state not to travel with a full tank. I believe all it says is to factor that water weight into your gross weight. My dealer at first tried telling me the same thing until I pointed them to that section in the manual.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #50

I never traveled with anything close to a full tank, -the most being 1/3 full, and the supports bent anyway. That being said, I don't see why anyone would want to travel with a full tank in the first place, the extra weight and the sloshing around being counter productive. In my experience, -camping at campgrounds, all a have a potable water supply available where you can fill-up before setting up camp.

In my case, the dealer replaced the cheap, original equipment supports for the tank with heavy duty angle iron.
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #51

Dealers Fix

Here are some pics of how the dealer fixed the steel angle that kept bending. I told the dealer to call me before they did anything and of course they did not. Just made the changes and said come pick it up.

They cut the hose that originally ran from the vent opening (by the water inlet) to the top of the water tank and then connected the hose to a water nozzle that they installed on the side of my camper. I have to open the nozzle when filling to vent the tank. When the tank is full water starts coming out the nozzle.

They also welded an additional steal piece to the original steel cross beam that kept bending.

So far this has been working. Going camping this weekend and will see if it continues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	52934   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	52935   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	52936   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	52937  
Nick1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkillora View Post
In my experience, -camping at campgrounds, all a have a potable water supply available where you can fill-up before setting up camp.
You obviously have not camped in western Canada or Alaska. Very few provincial or state campgrounds have water and most of the ones that do have a "boil before use" sign. Try boiling 20-30 gallons of water in a 2109S--not going to happen. So, we always made sure we had enough water to spend a night or two, even if we didn't have enough to take a shower.

I realize Mini Lites are just that--light. But a trailer that can't carry at least 10-15 gallons of water without bending steel supports would be useless on a northwest North America trip. Fortunately, the supports on our 2012 2109S held up on our 2013 Alaska trip.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1122 View Post
Here are some pics of how the dealer fixed the steel angle that kept bending. I told the dealer to call me before they did anything and of course they did not. Just made the changes and said come pick it up.

They cut the hose that originally ran from the vent opening (by the water inlet) to the top of the water tank and then connected the hose to a water nozzle that they installed on the side of my camper. I have to open the nozzle when filling to vent the tank. When the tank is full water starts coming out the nozzle.

They also welded an additional steal piece to the original steel cross beam that kept bending.

So far this has been working. Going camping this weekend and will see if it continues.

This seems to be the fix that most dealers are doing I notice. With my trailer
they just ran the hose thru the bottom of the trailer and left it open. I like the idea of being able to close it off like yours so that nothing ugly flies up into the
tank when its moving. My first trailer had the tank under a seat bench so it sat on a solid floor. The overflow line was attached to the inlet area and I never had
a problem. Both other tanks with that trailer lost their origional shape and had trouble draining. The dealer than did a similar repair to yours. Trailers should be able to travel with fresh water and be strong enough to allow you to drive somewhere to dump the other tanks.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #54

I wonder where the dealers would put the steel brace on a tank like mine that has factory-installed 12v tank heaters? The heating pads are placed right in the middle of the bottom of the tank.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #55

All they do is piggyback the old brackets.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
I checked my brackets and there is no bending. The only traveling I do with a full water tank is at the state campgrounds. I fill up with water inside the cg at the potable water station.
That's what I generally do. Although I travel with about 5 or 6 gallons of water in the tank. My best guess is that my frame bent in my drive way. It was fine last fall when I winterized. I filled it to sanitize the system last week and when I drained it I noticed the bent brackets. Personally, I'd recommend that anyone owning one of these units reinforce the brackets before they bend.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote