Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #1

Thumbs up 2109s owners, or those looking to buy...

We have a 2019, 2109S MiniLite, that we love!

BUT, we do not like the jack knife sofa and as any 2109S owner knows, due to the type of slide out we have there is not much we can do to remedy the sofa.

I love the 2109S floorplan, with the front windshield I enjoy the open floorplan where sitting on the sofa you can see all around the trailer, (almost) out the front window mostly... but that uncomfortable jack knife sofa...

Well, looks like Forest River's Rockwood and Flagstaff have come up with a similar 2109S floorplan, but with a slide out that offers the option for a dinette, theater seats or a hide a bed sofa in the slide!

Plus a few additional benefits with a new floorplan.

The 2020 Rockwood model is a 2205S and the Flagstaff version is a 22FBS.

Oh boy... I think we are gonna trade up to the new model so we can finally have our 2109S floorplan with the more comfortable theater seats.

Check them out if you are looking for a 2109S floorplan, or if you still want the 2109S, we have a sweet 2019 model with some nice improvements and extras that will be for sale as soon as we can order the new model 2205S in a Rockwood configuration...

Hit us up with a PM and I can give you details on all the goodies we have done on our 2109S.

I will even deliver it to you within 500 miles of Eastern PA.

6CD.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
st4
from south Louisiana

I would sit in those theater seats before you get rid of your 2109. I had the same thoughts and tried the theater seats at our dealer and didn't find the theater seats very comfortable. We bought the 2109S and love it. I do wish the sofa was a little more comfortable but theater seats to me were not comfortable enough for us to step up to that model. Just my opinion though, you may like them.
Old 11-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
I would sit in those theater seats before you get rid of your 2109. I had the same thoughts and tried the theater seats at our dealer and didn't find the theater seats very comfortable. We bought the 2109S and love it. I do wish the sofa was a little more comfortable but theater seats to me were not comfortable enough for us to step up to that model. Just my opinion though, you may like them.
Thanks st4!

Good advice.

We have sat in the theater seats Forest River uses on other models and I was not as impressed as the theater seats other brands use...

Thomas Payne seats are nice, the most comfortable we found were Stacy Stewart theater seats Jayco uses... Wow those were really comfy.

I figure if the seats in the new model 2205S don't quite measure up, at least they are mounted in a slide that accepts the different seats the 2109S won't and we can swap them out for the Stacy Stewarts or similar...

I like everything about our 2109S except that sofa, so when I saw that new model had that same "open" floorplan, but with the different slide, got us a little happy thinking maybe we can have it "all". Haha!

The new model does have a little longer floorplan and a few new goodies...

Windows in the sides of the slide, a nice pantry next to the slide, bigger tv, different speaker system inside and a fireplace which is kinda cool to look at.

Thanks, though for posting, you are right about the seats.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
st4
from south Louisiana

I'm not sure that we could upgrade this sofa in our 2109s because they sit right over the fender well. If you run across something that would work for us let me know. I don't find the sofa terribly uncomfortable and we don't spend much time indoors, so I'm good for now. Like you said everything else is great.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #5

Cheaper alternative

I felt the same way about the jackknife sofa, but my solution was a couple of Rec-Pro Euro-Recliners. Not without issues, its a tight fit, but cheaper than a trade up, and you don't lose your mods. Hit me up if you're interested in a pic.
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
Roo Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthavana View Post
I felt the same way about the jackknife sofa, but my solution was a couple of Rec-Pro Euro-Recliners. Not without issues, its a tight fit, but cheaper than a trade up, and you don't lose your mods. Hit me up if you're interested in a pic.
I'm thinking of doing something similar in our Roo 235s. The jackknife sofa is lame-o.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” — Shedd
billskenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthavana View Post
You put the Rec Pro's in the 2109S slide?

Yeah a pic or pics would be cool!

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #8

We enjoyed our 2015- 2109s the 3 years we owned it. Don't know how much they've changed since. Didn't like the jack knife sofa either. Had considered trying to mod better seating into that slide, but because of the slide mechanism and rise of the floor I decided against it. DW said lets look at the 2511s. She loved it and we made the deal. I do miss the weight and tow ability of the 2109 though.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

Pix

Here are the pix of the sofa swap. I still need to enclose the slide mechanism.
As part of the project I removed the original carpet and added a pad, moisture barrier and new carpet. I also had to move the magazine racks you see in the pix.
I left them unmounted, secured for travel with D-rings screwed into the deck and a long bungee cord threaded through a vinyl tube to avoid any abrasion on the chair material. Leaving them unattached allows them to be moved forward so they recline and swivel.
On the down side, they are a tight fit, plenty of room side to side, but the height is a bit of a problem when reclining, another reason not to mount them.
Putting them ten inches off the floor level makes entry a bit of a challenge but I'm 67 and I manage easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliners 1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	219468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliners 2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	219469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliners 3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	219470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliners 4.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	219471  
hthavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #10

sofa seating

We love our 2109s (2014) as well. It has a nice open feel to the floorplan, and where we camp we wouldn't want to live without a front window. The sofa is not too comfortable so we placed two stadium seats (foam seats and back) on top of the sofa and that seems to work for us. Dann & Diane Yeager
dannyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
st4
from south Louisiana

I looked at closely at mine this afternoon. I see where u cud add r remove foam from the top and bottom cushion s. I’m wondering if we cud change the cushion foam to something better if that would help?
Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #12

I am not sure why there are so many complaints about the 2109s couch. Its cushions should be changed and leveled so sleeping on it (by our son, not us) is improved, but we are working on a topper to do that. My wife and I enjoy the couch to drink coffee and prepare for the day. We sat in several models with dinettes and theater chairs, but the couch actually fits us better. Leather would be nice, but that is beyond the price level expectation. Now the table included with the 2109s is a different story....
RBDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #13
st4
from south Louisiana

Yes like I said earlier, we find it to be comfortable enough.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #14

They use really cheap foam in the cushions, you just sink right to the bottom. I just got some high quality foam for my dinette cushions from foamfactory.com . Much more comfortable, plan to do the couch bottom cushions too.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #15

Pretty crafty there hthavana!!

I know what you mean about the mount being up off the floor, but hey once your in it it sure looks more comfy than the jack knife!

Tags
210, 2109s