Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

2109s Propane Leak

We have a 2012, 2109s and have been on a road trip for 2 weeks. Left the campground that we were staying in for 10 days this morning. We had full hookups there. The refrigerator was, of course, on electricity and we did use the stove, outside grill as well as the furnace on propane. Everything worked fine. When we were checking into a new campground this afternoon, the CO detector in the trailer went off. Went inside, and sure enough, a strong smell of propane. Turned off the valve on the propane tank, opened the windows and started the exhaust fans. Let everything clear and then turned on the valve again. After a couple of minutes, propane smell returned and detector sounded again. Repeated this a couple more times, with the same results. Checked all of the possible suspects; stove knobs, external grill valve, connection to furnace, connection to refrigerator, underneath trailer, with no results. My only suspect is the refrigerator. Turned it off electricity and tried to turn it on gas and it would not switch over.
Any advice would be most helpful?
Thanks in advance.
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

I think you need a professional to find the leak and not try to second guess where its coming from.
It could be coming from anyone of a number of locations.
Be safe and have a PRO check it out.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #3

Yes, sage advice. Although we've had this trailer since new and are very familiar with it, I thought I may be having a seniors moment and overlooking something simple.
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Either make get some snoop or some kids bubble blowing solution and squirt it on all the gas connections you can find. Be sure to completely coat the connections. If there's a leak that should find it.

If you suspect the fridge, that's where I'd start.

Once you find it, you can decide the best course of action in repairing it.

P.S. You can also make some leak detection solution using liquid dish soap and water, but it works better if you add a little glycerin to the mixture.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #5

Tried that on the connections to the furnace and the refrigerator with no luck. Out of necessity, we've given up on propane for the duration of this trip, which is coming to an end in the next couple of days anyway. Hopefully, the 12 lobster in the freezer won't thaw till we get home!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Tags
210, 2109s, leak, propane