Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

2109S Slide Motor Pulled Loose

I have the same issue as fanrgs has reported. All 4 bolts are loose on the wall & no support under the slide motor at all. I have put a piece of 2 X 4 under the motor to lift it back up but the loose bolts are a problem. I wish they went all the way through so I could put 4 bolts in to replace the screws. It is going to the local dealer September 5th & I'll see how they fix it.

If you have a 2109S it is worth checking your slide motor under the sofa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
I have been traveling over some pretty rough roads in Canada and Alaska lately (we are now on the Kenai Peninsula) in my 16 month-old 2109S. Yesterday my slide motor bolts came loose from the wall and the motor stopped working. When I checked under my sofa, the motor is just screwed into the trailer wall, not into the aluminum frame, so the screws stripped the hole when they pulled out. The motor puts out so much torque that it also blew the slide fuse when it broke loose from the wall. My emergency repair today has been to put the screws back in with Gorilla Glue on the threads and a stack of books under the motor to keep it level. Then I replaced the 30 amp fuse tha I searched all over for. It is located in a fuse holder attached to wiring beneath the frame of the trailer below the left side of the basement, not in the basement where it would be protected from weather. It is labeled "Not more than 30A." Fortunately, I carry a big supply of 15A and 30A fuses, so replacement was easy once I found the fuse.

Lesson learned and advice for others: watch the attachment points for your Rockwood slide motors, as they may be screwed into some pretty flimsy material.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #2

i have the 2104s. Where is the motor located and how do you access it so i can check it out.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
i have the 2104s. Where is the motor located and how do you access it so i can check it out.
See post #10 http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-44324.html
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

Thanks i just downloaded the manual. i will check mine this weekend> Seems with the amount of people having issues this needs to be a factory recall
Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #5

A factory recall of the way the slide-out motor is attached on the 2109s should definitely be in order. As a result of reading of this issue on other posts, I checked mine and sure enough all of the bolts (4) were in various stages of being loose, one just hanging there. I was afraid of tightening them too much for fear of stripping them entirely from the fiberboard wall where they attach. The trailer was in for some maintenance work at the dealer this week and I had them look at it. They replaced the original bolts with ones a bit longer, however, I fear that over time these too will pull away. One would think that FR would have mounted these bolts into something a bit stronger, owing to the torque that this mechanism undergoes. Too much to ask for I suppose.
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	slide motor.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	41222

I finally got my TT back from the dealer & tested the slide motor fix over a 5 day camping trip. The dealer added a larger block of wood underneath to support the weight, strapped it down to the floor & used larger bolts to bolt it into the wall. The larger bolts are a little hard to see in the picture. I had already put a smaller block of wood under it which was working even with the loose bolts.

It was covered by Rockwood, I do have the $150 second year warranty from FR.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

i wonder if this is just an issue with the 2109s or has anyone with the 2104s had any issues
Old 10-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #8

Appreciate the heads up on slide issues with the 2109S. DH went out and checked ours this morning and all is okay! We will be checking it frequently from now on!
Useta have a 17 ft Casita LD twin bed mod &
Coleman pop up
NanaKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaKaren View Post
Appreciate the heads up on slide issues with the 2109S. DH went out and checked ours this morning and all is okay! We will be checking it frequently from now on!
I would suggest just putting a 2x4 block under it now as a prevention measure. The electric motor torques down & to the left & a simple block of wood stops both. It keeps the 4 bolts from taking all the torque & the weight of the motor. I don't think the strap is really necessary as long as the block of wood is wedged in good & a 2x4 was perfect on mine. It took my dealer 4 weeks to get the job completed so you might save some wasted time as well.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
i wonder if this is just an issue with the 2109s or has anyone with the 2104s had any issues
I had just assumed they were the same configuration....doesn't look like it from the pics. Ours, being mounted inside the slide frame itself, shouldn't have the same issues.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #11

A block of wood seems kinna cheap to me, metal framework would be better 1x1 box tubing welded together with 1/4 inch plate for the motor to be mounted on.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
A block of wood seems kinna cheap to me, metal framework would be better 1x1 box tubing welded together with 1/4 inch plate for the motor to be mounted on.
That is too small & I don't weld. I wouldn't want anybody to be doing any welding under the sofa either.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Agree, that "fix" looks pretty inadequate (cheap) to me.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #14

Slide motor pulled loose on 2109s

We had the same problem-- the slide motor pulled loose from the wall on our 2109s the last night of a four-week trip this fall. Based on the warning from this thread, I had checked the bolts before we left, and they were tight, but unfortunately I neglected to continue checking during the trip. When we dropped the trailer with our dealer for winter storage, he assured us this problem would be covered under warranty. So we'll see what his fix looks like next spring. We also had the wooden panel on the refrigerator door come off, which others have reported. This is also covered under warranty. Otherwise this first long trip with our 2109s was wonderful, and we love the trailer!
EmersonTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #15

If you can, post a picture of the fix. It would be interesting to see the solution you get.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
I have the same issue as fanrgs has reported. All 4 bolts are loose on the wall & no support under the slide motor at all. I have put a piece of 2 X 4 under the motor to lift it back up but the loose bolts are a problem. I wish they went all the way through so I could put 4 bolts in to replace the screws. It is going to the local dealer September 5th & I'll see how they fix it.

If you have a 2109S it is worth checking your slide motor under the sofa.
July 2013 was heading out for a 2 week trip from Orlando to Devil's Tower with my 6 month old 2013 2109s; 1st stopover in Georgia, the slide is dead. I check all the breakers and fuses and all is good. Check the FR boards and find the post about the hidden fuse coming straight from the battery under the frame (In a place that is sure to get soaked the first time you drive in the rain). I replaced the fuse and the motor tried to open the slide, but was flopping around like crazy on the floor. Check under the couch and the slide motor in on the floor next to 4 black lag bolts with 4 holes in the wall board. Motor was screwed into the wall board only and nothing else. I put a plank of wood under and over the motor, and did this for the next 2 weeks until I got home.
Now I know I wasn't the only one having this issue.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #17

When my dealer did the fix on mine, they only added longer screws to tighten it up. I'm wondering if adding a board under the motor itself is actually required as others have mentioned in their posts. I'm a little nervous that this may make things worse rather than better. Has anyone had their dealer add the extra support board? Would be nice if FR could let us know the proper fix for this issue... Wishful thinking I suppose.
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s, led, slide