Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #1

2109s slide trouble

Ok we have been on the road for several weeks and while trying to escape from a pending snowstorm left Ohio Sunday morning heading to the outer banks of NC. Woke up Monday morning to pouring rain ( had driven in it all day Sunday with temps hovering around freezing) and 37 degrees. While preparing to make our getaway ( get out of mountains) she told me the slide wouldn't come in. I got the manual handle out but when I looked under the couch I could see the motor turning but the bolt that attached it to the slide mechanism had broke off!! I was finally able to McGuyver it back together with a small Allen key from my toolbag until I can get to a hardware store. Looks like a 1/4 inch bolt. Anybody have this problem before? No binding on slide or frozen closed? Will pick up a few extras in stainless when I find a store

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Rockwood 2109S
2013 F-150

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

Haven't had that problem with the slide, but I did go through a couple bolts on the electric stabs before I put in good stainless bolts. Enjoy the Outer Banks, try the Brew Station in Kitty Hawk.
2013 F-150 4x4 EB
vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

I suggest you use Grade 8 bolts. Much stronger in "shear" as is your application.
Also check the motor mount bolts. They are notorious for comming loose or ripping out of the wall, causing a bind, etc.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

Thanks. I will look for those grade bolts but I know the piece between the motor and slide mechanism is not that strong looking ( square tube).
We are further down than Kitty Hawk ( Frisco) but will check out that place if we get up that way. I have spent a lot of time on the OBX but haven't been here in a while. Hope to ride the ferry down to Ocracoke and must stop at Howards
:-))

2014 Rockwood 2109S
2013 F-150

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

Look under the sofa as someone operates the slide. You'll see the motor moves drastically up and down depending on what direction the slide is moving. The severe angle on the drive shaft breaks the bolt. Mine did the same thing.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #6

Check my posting to this thread on 8-23-2014: "21FBRS Slide motor mount detaching"

If the slide motor is rotating you will continue to have problems.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #7

Thanks

Thanks Henboy and others who have replied, I will have to get under the couch when I return home next week (?), So far the allen wrench that I stuck in there to replace the broken bolt while traveling has held up to two or three openings and closings. it makes sense that if the motor is moving it would put a lot of stress on that bolt.
You would think that they would know about this problem and fix it before sending these things out! Same as the bent water tank brackets I encountered (fodder for another thread) I bought mine used from a non FR dealer so no warranty for me. Thanks again

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
Old 12-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #8

The 2109S broken bolt, the slide motor loosening, the bent water tank brackets, and the raised panel refrigerator door problems have been exhaustively discussed on several other threads on this forum. No use repeating it all here--just read the previous threads for temporary repairs and permanent fixes. Search the forum for "2109S" to find all of them.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #9

So you dug up and replied to a thread I posted over a month ago to scold me for not doing a search for every topic before posting. With your obvious vast knowledge you could probably add something useful ?? I come on here for good information and like to share what I know and have learned. You might try that

2014 Rockwood 2109S
2013 F-150

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6

Tags
210, 2109s, slide