Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #1

2209 miniLite AC leaks when it rains

I have a 2012 Mini Lite. Last year the A/C unit leaked a couple times when it rained hard. Water comes through the controls. They said at the dealer it does that some times if it rains hard. This year it does it whenever it rains.

Any thoughts on where to look or start looking. I looked at the unit and saw no cracks or holes in the roof or unit??

I'm not sure were to start!!

Ideas would be Welcome!!

Andy
andyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #2

Take a look at this link about 1/3 of the way down on AC. DIY RV roof repair, Moisture in RV's

Better yet, here it is;

Air conditioners:
Air conditioners are really pretty well designed. They have to be open to the elements, so everything is just mounted on a big pan with drains in it and any water that gets in just goes back out (or should). Lift off the outer cover (shroud) and make sure the drains aren't full of crud. Weather, dirt, insects and small birds and critters have easy access to the inner machinery of the A/C. You should clean up the area once or twice a year.
While the cover is off, examine the sheet metal box that covers the blower and air chamber. Seams usually have a gasket or putty material to keep what little rain that might collect from dripping down into the housing inside the RV. It's easy to reseal these but in many cases all that's needed is to cover them with the aluminum repair tape mentioned above, allowing moisture to run down into the pan.
The whole air conditioner is held on by nothing more than a large gasket and about four big nuts and threaded rods reached through the A/C inside frame. (Has to be that way because it moves and vibrates.) Most leaks occur at the gasket and fortunately can usually be stopped by doing nothing more than gradually tightening the main nuts/bolts, (one of the few things in an RV that's usually easy to fix).
Replacing an A/C gasket is easy but strenuous. Simply remove the main nuts/bolts, disconnect the wiring harness, go up on the roof and lift/tilt the thing from one end, not straight up. It's easier when two people do it and you should have someone down below to make sure wires and such don't get hung up. New gaskets don't need added putty and stuff, but you do need to make sure the roof edges around the hole are clean and don't have gouges or dents that water can run through.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Our handful of trips that we have been on so far this year have always included a day or two of rain, and lots of humidity. On one particular trip to Bull Shoals White River, we had more days of rain than not, and very heavy rain at times. We woke one morning to a puddle on the kitchen rug and drips coming from the a/c. We worried about it most of the day as a repair on the to do list. Upon closer inspection, we decided that it was an extreme amount of condensation on the inner parts of the a/c (we removed the cover to the filter and were amazed at the wetness on the metal pieces inside). The windows were extremely wet with condensation also. We dried everything off real good, opened some vents, wiped off the inner a/c and after a little time the dripping stopped. We were there several more days, had more rain, but with the venting never had anymore condensation build-up, and no more drips from the a/c.
TTforTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train

Mine leaked. I found it was coming from the front. I torqued down the front bolts a bit and it stopped.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #5

We torqued all of the bolts down on our A/C but to fix it we had to have a new gasket installed & resealed. We had the 2nd year warranty & FR paid for the fix.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote