Old 09-13-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

2306 (and other owners) with Bunks - Beware

My daughter likes to sleep on the top bunk, but we don't always use the ladder. In fact, we usually DON'T put the ladder up because it gets in the way when you're going into the bathroom.

So, she climbs up by stepping on the bottom bunk, and climbs down the same way. No biggie - right? She'll 11 years old and I'm not too concerned with her falling... Been doing it this way for 18 months, and no issues.

Well, not exactly. I noticed that the cabinet doors under the bottom bunk looked really strange during our trip for Labor Day. Looking closer, I found that the top of the cabinet panel had completely separated from the metal frame-work behind:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2715.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	120069

As with everything else, the cabinet is held to the aluminum sub-structure with smooth "nails" about 1" long. There's no way they would hold very long when installed through aluminum...

I pulled out the nails, then drilled and countersunk some #8 sheet-metal screws in the same holes.

Name:	IMG_2716.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	120070

Wish I could have found screws with black heads, but Home Depot didn't have any...

Just an FYI to other owners. Either reinforce the bottom cabinet, or make sure your kids use the ladder.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

Thanks 53flattie. I will check on mine. We have used the ladder off and on. I am going to put a piece of pink styrofoam insulation under the bottom bunk so I will be working in that area anyway. Jay

Old 09-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

Good you caught it before it came completely off, the screw fix should hold things in place. Can't a ladder be fashioned that would be tight to the beds and not get in the way?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Good you caught it before it came completely off, the screw fix should hold things in place. Can't a ladder be fashioned that would be tight to the beds and not get in the way?

Yes - it could be shortened. Hadn't really thought about that, but it might be worth looking into...

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

Wow, we recently had the same problem. It was pretty much impossible to get the staples lined back up to push it back in. I cut off the staples, and drilled and countersunk eight screws behind the cabinet doors. Then, put wood plugs in the holes. I'll either stain the plugs or may just put some felt bumpers over the screw holes. If you look at the lower bunk, there are two very thin pieces of luan wood with a metal band, so the bunk bottom is not solid. Our grand kids just used the camper at the fair and I guess getting in and out must have pushed it loose. It's very solid now but sure wasn't built that way. Still love the camper

R&DJCat, 2016 Rockwood 2306
Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the warning. Our daughter is 9, but is a solid 70 lbs and also prefers to climb to top bunk the same way. I will inspect the cabinet door fascia to see if it is separating from the cabinet. We don't use the ladder for the the similar reasons, it is inconvenient, does not have hooks on the end and on occasion has slipped out when stepped on. I will see about attaching it flush to the bunks.

FYI, you could use a Sharpie to color the screw heads.

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'05 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
MudyOvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Chuck

Bunk Beds

I travel and sell retail items so I use the bunk beds to store merchandise. I do step on the edge sometimes to deal with the cargo in the top bunk so I was glad to see this post. One thing you can do is put down the clear plastic edge guards. I found them at Home Depot. they are self adhesive but I still put in a small nail every once in awhile. I have them in strategic places all over the trailer in areas that tend to get nicked. The counter extension was a good addition as well as the bottle opener My last FR trailer had a lot of nicks in the edges so this eliminates that issue. Also, the area behind the TV is hollow so you can run wires up to the bunk beds to save clutter. I have a dish receiver and printer that I travel with. I also have a laptop connected via a docking station. It makes setup a breeze when I get to a campsite. I also drilled a hole downward into the lower compartment and keep an invertor in the TV area as well. That way I can run the cord down to the 12V plug and have TV etc when I am boondocked. To run wires the easiest thing to do is pull the radio out and use a coat hanger or fish tape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160914_134448.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	120201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160914_134407.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	120202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160914_140032.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	120203   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160914_140010.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	120204   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160914_140547.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	120205  

Old 09-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Cool screws with black heads

east solution screw the screws you want to use into some cardboard and spray heads with black aerosol paint
QUOTE=53flattie;1316299]My daughter likes to sleep on the top bunk, but we don't always use the ladder. In fact, we usually DON'T put the ladder up because it gets in the way when you're going into the bathroom.

So, she climbs up by stepping on the bottom bunk, and climbs down the same way. No biggie - right? She'll 11 years old and I'm not too concerned with her falling... Been doing it this way for 18 months, and no issues.

Well, not exactly. I noticed that the cabinet doors under the bottom bunk looked really strange during our trip for Labor Day. Looking closer, I found that the top of the cabinet panel had completely separated from the metal frame-work behind:

Attachment 120069

As with everything else, the cabinet is held to the aluminum sub-structure with smooth "nails" about 1" long. There's no way they would hold very long when installed through aluminum...

I pulled out the nails, then drilled and countersunk some #8 sheet-metal screws in the same holes.

Attachment 120070

Wish I could have found screws with black heads, but Home Depot didn't have any...

Just an FYI to other owners. Either reinforce the bottom cabinet, or make sure your kids use the ladder.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudyOvl View Post
Thanks for the warning. Our daughter is 9, but is a solid 70 lbs and also prefers to climb to top bunk the same way. I will inspect the cabinet door fascia to see if it is separating from the cabinet. We don't use the ladder for the the similar reasons, it is inconvenient, does not have hooks on the end and on occasion has slipped out when stepped on. I will see about attaching it flush to the bunks.

FYI, you could use a Sharpie to color the screw heads.

The ladder is a death trap the way it comes from the factory. I can't believe they sell them like that.

I saw other members on here who added hooks to the back side of the top of the ladder. It will hook onto the top bunk and stay in place now.

I tried to find my original post about it, but was unsuccessful. I'll take another picture and post it later today.

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 09-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #10

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473944560.457711.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	120259Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1473944576.455351.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	120260

The came from Home Depot, in the hardware section.

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax

Tags
2306, bunk, bunks