Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

2504 Murphy Bed Mattress

Looking to replace the mattress on the new 2504 we purchased 3 weeks ago. Not here to slam it as being a cheap mattress; more a problem with my bad back!

DW sleeps just fine but I've got to have a very firm mattress. We added a 2" memory foam topper which helps a bit but that just seemed to make it softer. Are there any toppers out there designed to make it more firm?

We've owned other trailers in the past and have ended up replacing the factory installed mattress in all of them. But this our first experience with a murphy bed (we love the design however, and the increased living space when it is raised up). The problem I see is that, when the murphy bed is the upright position, space is limited between the bed frame and the wall. I'm thinking the replacement mattress can't be more than 8-9" thick.

Has anyone purchased a replacement mattress for the murphy bed?

Thanks!
rcknrbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #2

Sleep by Number makes sizes that will fit most campers - although pricey it might be worth the investment. I've been temped to get one myself.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #3

Sleep Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
Sleep by Number makes sizes that will fit most campers - although pricey it might be worth the investment. I've been temped to get one myself.
We actually purchased a sleep number for our prior RV, a 5th wheel. Wasn't a bad mattress. Had a remote for both sides and could adjust the firmness. But in the end, you're sleeping on an air mattress.

We still have it but it won't stand up vertical with the Murphy bed set up. Plus, with the air pump that runs on 110v, gonna be hard to dry camp.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #4

We have a 2306 with the Murphy bed. We had a tempurpedic queen in our mh & when we downsized put it in the 2306. It's a little heavier & longer but we love it.

R&DJCat, 2016 Rockwood 2306
Rcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcat View Post
We have a 2306 with the Murphy bed. We had a tempurpedic queen in our mh & when we downsized put it in the 2306. It's a little heavier & longer but we love it.

Rcat,

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. Did you make any modifications to the bed deck or frame?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #6

No other modifications but in addition to the original strap that holds the mattress, I added an extra strap around the middle of the bed because the tempurpedic bends more than the other mattress. We've had many rv mattresses in the past and we haven't had much luck. The original "heated" mattress was not even a brief thought in our minds, lol.

Rcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed