Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #1

2504 with Murphy Bed - standard mattress replacement question

Hey folks. Have really enjoyed the 2504 with the murphy bed design since we purchased it last spring. The thin mattress has been tough on my bad back. I vowed to not camp again until I could replace the mattress.

Was at a local mattress retailer over the weekend and found a nice queen mattress on sale (mattress only, no box spring). Pulled the trigger and bought it but haven't picked it up yet.

Got to thinking how the factory mattress is 74" long and the standard replacement queen is 80" long. After mulling it over, I'm not convinced this thing will fit in the upright position in the murphy bed. I tried measuring it but it looks like it will be tight, maybe 77" or so of space in the upright position. It doesn't look like thickness will be a problem as it seems to have adequate space and I've read posts where people have thick toppers with no problems.

Don't want to take delivery if it won't fit. Really don't want to pay the extra price for a short queen either if I can help it. Anyone have experience putting a standard 80" long queen in the murphy?

Thanks!
rcknrbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #2

This is something I have considered doing, but haven't yet, so I can't tell you if it will fit. What I can tell you is that we have had a 4" thick full 80" long queen size memory foam mattress topper on top of ours since the day we purchased the 2504 and have not had any issues. The foam does have some bend and give to it that the standard matters wouldn't have.
How about cutting a board to 80" long and putting it on top of the current mattress and then try folding it up. Be slow, in case it doesn't fit. This should give you an idea on fitment.
Kevinwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

Please report back what you find - I'm curious as well.

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #4

We had a 2306 with the murphy bed. We left the stock mattress on but put a standard queen size, 3" memory foam topper on it. Worked perfectly! No problems.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
We had a 2306 with the murphy bed. We left the stock mattress on but put a standard queen size, 3" memory foam topper on it. Worked perfectly! No problems.
Does the Murphy bed close easily?
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Ours did with no issues.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #7

Answered my question

Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased the standard queen (80" long). Don't remember the brand but it was about 10" tall with a pillow top and very good quality. Pulled the factory mattress out of the camper and laid the new mattress out on the bed. I immediately saw a problem. At the head of the bed frame is a cleat which prevents the mattress from sliding forward. Folding the bed up was a disaster. When the mattress got past this cleat, you are almost able to stand the murphy bed upright. Since it is past it's pivot point, it is impossible to lay it back down without lifting the mattress up (a strong two person job).

My descriptions my be lacking but the 80" standard queen mattress was a no-go. My local mattress store assisting me in finding a brand that custom makes any size so I found a very nice firm mattress that will work with my bad back and am having it made to a custom length of 74". Should be in next week.

I'll provide another update then but I think answered my own question!
rcknrbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcknrbn View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased the standard queen (80" long). Don't remember the brand but it was about 10" tall with a pillow top and very good quality. Pulled the factory mattress out of the camper and laid the new mattress out on the bed. I immediately saw a problem. At the head of the bed frame is a cleat which prevents the mattress from sliding forward. Folding the bed up was a disaster. When the mattress got past this cleat, you are almost able to stand the murphy bed upright. Since it is past it's pivot point, it is impossible to lay it back down without lifting the mattress up (a strong two person job).

My descriptions my be lacking but the 80" standard queen mattress was a no-go. My local mattress store assisting me in finding a brand that custom makes any size so I found a very nice firm mattress that will work with my bad back and am having it made to a custom length of 74". Should be in next week.

I'll provide another update then but I think answered my own question!
I think you've discovered what most of us believed, but weren't ready to actually buy an 80-inch mattress to prove.

We have 2 pieces of foam, 5" x 6-1/2" X 30" and when put end to end, are long enough to push into the space at the head of the bed when it's down. It basically adds the extra 6" or so back to the length of the mattress. Since my pillow is basically all that's on the foam, it works out very well. When we fold the bed up, we stick them between the back of the couch and the bed. At this point, we've been covering them with a couple pillow cases, but the plan is to make custom-fitted covers at some point.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

Can't answer your question as I just ordered a 2507s through RVW. Hoping you could tell what max size storage container can fit under the murphy bed. I'm sure the containers that I had from our previous trailer will not fit, but trying to get an idea of what replacement containers will fit.
garybeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybeau View Post
Can't answer your question as I just ordered a 2507s through RVW. Hoping you could tell what max size storage container can fit under the murphy bed. I'm sure the containers that I had from our previous trailer will not fit, but trying to get an idea of what replacement containers will fit.
If you have the pass-through storage under your sofa like mine, it's about 22-1/2" wide and 10-3/4" high if you want to put something under there from outside. Might be a bit larger if you raise the seat of the sofa and stick it in - I've never measured that.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, replacement