Old 07-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #11
basically i have a quick connect female connection under the camper. with the camper i received a quick connect hose with one female and one male end. Then the grill it self has a quick connect male fitting. I have no problem connecting to the camper, but the hose will not connect to the grill. It gets almost into position but just shy of being able to lock. Almost like the fitting just was made a bit to big, so slightly you can tell looking at it. my old grill has the same looking (different thread) male connection and hooks to my hose fine.

I went to a local camper dealer (not where i got it) and they took a look, took my hose in the shop, found a similar male fitting that fit the hose. Went out, couldn't get the fitting off the grill. for the couple bucks i just bought it, went home, disassembled part of the grill so i could get two wrenches on it. once i got the fitting out i noticed both are male thread but different spacing and the inside opening is very different. The guy i talked to (owner of small dealership) at one point did say something about "high pressure gas" to which i said no clue, its the grill and set up that came with the camper. i'll post some pics in a little while.

bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #12
The grill works well for us, and it does have a temp gauge on the side. It easily gets above 400F but there are some hot spots and uneven cooking.

I use mine on top of a portable table I bring along because during my walk-thru the RV tech recommended I don't keep it attached to the side of the RV. He said it gets too hot and could damage the siding. I use the small removable shelf to hold my utensils and my beers. ;-)

2014 Ram 1500 5.7L
2015 Mini Lite 2504s
nc_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #13
Originally Posted by vanreever View Post
How does the side mounted grill that comes with the camper perform? Can it get hot enough to sear? I have a camp chef mvp grill, however on shorter trips with simple menus I would like to just use the small one instead. Unless it is worthless. My father in law hates the one that came with his solaire hybrid but I am still hoping i can make it work. Beats lugging a 40 pound grill around to cook some burgers and hots over a 2 day trip. I love the little shelf thing. Gonna set a little 21 inch tv on it to watch football and playoff baseball in the fall.
Yes, they work fine but I agree with your father in law for searing not so great. We use our tripod but you can place any grill over the fire pit and a little charcoal and fire is best for searing and taste. A round grill over the pit easier to lug around
Essex County
Southern most area in Canada
2015 F150 XLT Sport 5 ltr V8
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
The fitting on the right is the original. On the left is the one I bought which I hope to replace for the correct one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437488224040.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	83585   Click image for larger version

Name:	1437488242102.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	83586  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
Grill info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437488376989.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	83587  
Old 07-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
Ours worked first try. Good enough for what we need. If we want to sear we will wait until we find a campground with wood fire.
John Spear
RMCS (SW) USN Retired
2012 Ford F-150
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #17
If you are a serious griller, the stock BBQ unit will disappoint. The thin aluminum grill is not going to sear well and the heat distribution is uneven. Yes, it is adequate for hot dogs but if you want a good grill, I would look at upgrading to a Camp Chef or Weber propane grill.
2015 Rockwood A128S
2010 Rockwood 2604
2014 Ford F-250 CC SB 2WD
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:53 AM   #18
We've found the grill does what it was designed to do. We leave the little shelf at home because there isn't enough room for grill AND shelf at same time on mounting track. We just bring the TV from inside and slide it into the mount on the side of camper. The shelf is basically too small to be much of use anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Humteddy is offline   Reply With Quote