Old 07-21-2015, 04:18 AM   #1

2504s Grill

How does the side mounted grill that comes with the camper perform? Can it get hot enough to sear? I have a camp chef mvp grill, however on shorter trips with simple menus I would like to just use the small one instead. Unless it is worthless. My father in law hates the one that came with his solaire hybrid but I am still hoping i can make it work. Beats lugging a 40 pound grill around to cook some burgers and hots over a 2 day trip. I love the little shelf thing. Gonna set a little 21 inch tv on it to watch football and playoff baseball in the fall.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #2

I'm no chef, AT ALL, but I find it totally adequate for cooking simple meals (burgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, etc).

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax

Old 07-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #3

VanIt works ok, not great but pass able, poor heat distribution some real hot spots.
But you are correct the convenience makes it worth while. We try to keep it clean so we don't have bbq grease in the storage area underneath. We pack it in a garbage bag so nothing leaks out.
2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS Diamond
Jokes about German sausage are the wurst
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:27 AM   #4

We use ours all of the time - works well, never an issue with heat issues with siding or awning.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses. Gonna give it a go friday night and see how it works.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

I have yet to use my new grill that came with my new unit. The gas fitting has an issue that i need to replace, $5 part isnt worth the trip to the deal for warranty. So not sure how it works but my issue with it is the size along with my storage options on my unit. it wont fit through the out side passage door. Only way to get it stored is moving cushions and play wood of the dinette, that is a pain when nothing is in the unit, but while camping we pretty much use the dinette for our dog kennel, cloths (6-7 people typically camping). So i either need to buy/build a box on the tongue of the trailer or cut a new door to the storage under the dinette.

after trying to fix the grill the other day with a new gas fitting only to find out the fitting i bought was the wrong size (going back to the store today) i put the new grill on the porch and grabbed my 10 year old one i saved from my previous camper. cooking space is similar but its much more low profile and fits through my out side storage door. i also like the old support bracket better, more stable and much smaller.

After this past trip i think i might get the correct gas fitting, fix my new grill and store it a way for another day and just keep using my old one. when the old one dies, i build more storage or upgrade campers in the future, well i will have a new grill waiting.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
I have yet to use my new grill that came with my new unit. The gas fitting has an issue that i need to replace, $5 part isnt worth the trip to the deal for warranty. So not sure how it works but my issue with it is the size along with my storage options on my unit. it wont fit through the out side passage door. Only way to get it stored is moving cushions and play wood of the dinette, that is a pain when nothing is in the unit, but while camping we pretty much use the dinette for our dog kennel, cloths (6-7 people typically camping). So i either need to buy/build a box on the tongue of the trailer or cut a new door to the storage under the dinette.

after trying to fix the grill the other day with a new gas fitting only to find out the fitting i bought was the wrong size (going back to the store today) i put the new grill on the porch and grabbed my 10 year old one i saved from my previous camper. cooking space is similar but its much more low profile and fits through my out side storage door. i also like the old support bracket better, more stable and much smaller.

After this past trip i think i might get the correct gas fitting, fix my new grill and store it a way for another day and just keep using my old one. when the old one dies, i build more storage or upgrade campers in the future, well i will have a new grill waiting.
My grill fits in my pass through storage under the murphy bed so that is not an issue. I too will be using my other grill as well because we frequently camp with family and typically use mine because it is a beast. You can grill like 8 large ny strip steaks on it with room to spare. However, the little one will be nice for when it is just my wife, 3 yo son and myself. Less weight in the bed of my truck to pack as well. As far as my connections, i checked them and everything seems to fit well and lock tight. The quick connect even fits my old grill using the hose I purchased from camp chef for low pressure application. My old camper had a different size female coupler and it would not lock tight. So I am pretty stoked about that.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:

bpa,

what part needs replacing? I haven't been able to get mine to light and its not the gas supply.

thx,
craig
Old 07-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:

I had the same trouble when doing a conversion to the bulk Lp sytstem on a Weber Q. The disconnect fitting i bought from CW was a Mr.Heater and couldn't be inserted into the female disconnect on the TT. On comparing the fitting with that of my outdoor stove, I realized the good fitting had a counterbore or about .200" on it and the Mr.Heater fitting was flush with the brass. I removed the sleeve inside and repositioned it. Or you can look on line at a Camco and see exactly what you will need. The female quick disconnect on the TT has safety flow valve in the center that has to )a be depressed by the counter bore and b) depressed the right distance to allow LP to flow and allow the locking mechanism to fully engage

Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I had the same trouble when doing a conversion to the bulk Lp sytstem on a Weber Q. The disconnect fitting i bought from CW was a Mr.Heater and couldn't be inserted into the female disconnect on the TT. On comparing the fitting with that of my outdoor stove, I realized the good fitting had a counterbore or about .200" on it and the Mr.Heater fitting was flush with the brass. I removed the sleeve inside and repositioned it. Or you can look on line at a Camco and see exactly what you will need. The female quick disconnect on the TT has safety flow valve in the center that has to )a be depressed by the counter bore and b) depressed the right distance to allow LP to flow and allow the locking mechanism to fully engage

I'll have to check and see if the male fitting on the grill is depressing the valve enough to let the gas flow but this isn't a conversion its the grill that came with the camper