Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

2504s Radio Question

Hello all,

Just purchased my first RV, Rockwood 2504s....my DW wanted our family to give it a try. My 5 & 2 year old are so excited, they've already loaded their respective bunks with sleeping bags, toys & flashlights!

In the meantime, I'm learning all their is to know about this thing. One question I have is the use of the radio/entertainment center. The radio speakers have "3" modes. 1&2 are interior speakers & mode 3 switches to the outside speakers. However the interior speakers don't turn off. Since the exterior speakers require much more "juice", the interior speakers are so loud you can't be in there. Is this correct?

Appreciate any insight & thanks in advance.
Tomt996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

Radio Question

Typically you should be able to turn off the interior speakers and the exterior speakers.If your system is a IRV-33 or 66 they did have a problem with not being able to turn down the volume to a listenable level.Thank goodness for warranty.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #3

Ugh, I was afraid you were gonna say that. My dealer is 4 hours away....I know, buy local, but couldn't find a 2504s that I wanted locally. Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thank you for the response
Tomt996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:58 AM   #4

Use the search for more info. We had the same problem, more or less, and I found the guy who sells them/ provides them for Forest River. (I can't remember where it is in the forum; maybe try iRV33 or whatever it is) My wife called him up, he asked for a credit card number, which is understandable, and sent a new unit out the same day. No charge. Got it 3 days later. Easy switch out, too. Didn't even have to go through the dealer.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Radio

The guy you want to contact is Todd Eash from Patrick Industries, their located in Elkhart In. A google search will get you their phone number.He will take care of you.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

They also seem to get wired incorrectly at the factory quite often. What you may find is zone 1 left channel is wired to one interior speaker, zone 2 left channel is wired to the other interior speaker, both exterior speakers may be wired both to either the left or right channel of zone 3, or any other combination of the above. If you search you'll find recent threads on the subject and the wiring incorrectly issue go's back years to when they were using the Concertone stuff, before the IRV. I have corrected the wiring on at least a dozen Rockwood/Flagstaff products since 2011 or so. Why they have never resolved the incorrect wiring is beyond me.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

You should be able to activate or deactivate each set of speakers in any combination of on/off that you choose. Its convenient (especially with children in the bunks) to turn off the speakers at the bunk end and use the speakers at the murphy bed end at night, for example. With that being said, I have noticed that there is a difference in volume between inside and out. Having it set at a comfortable level inside means you cant really hear it outside. I simply assumed it was because inside is an enclosed space, and outside is so large. So I think that aspect is functioning correctly. But the inability to isolate the radio to only outside speakers isn't correct functionality. Hope you get it figured out

Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #8

We are taking our 2503s to the dealer today for a couple warranty radio problems. This dealer is not the one we bought from but, they service lots of brands.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

Appreciate everyone's responses. I've spoken with my dealer & they said they have also been having issues with iRV33. Told me to send them the serial number & they'll either mail me a new one or have a tech come to my house & install a new one. A little disappointing if FR knows these are junk they haven't found a replacement model....Anyways I hope it turns out to be that easy, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomt996 View Post
A little disappointing if FR knows these are junk they haven't found a replacement model....
They haven't found a replacement model that costs less. That's the problem.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

Per "Happy Camper" I called Todd Eash at 574-970-8287 at Patrick Industries. He explained that the iRV33 was having issues, the manufacturer suddenly quit making the radio so they have found a new company to produce an improved version iRV34. He is mailing me one out today, free of cost. He was extremely courteous & helpful. I hope this information is helpful to others.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Per "Happy Camper" I called Todd Eash at 574-970-8287 at Patrick Industries. He explained that the iRV33 was having issues, the manufacturer suddenly quit making the radio so they have found a new company to produce an improved version iRV34. He is mailing me one out today, free of cost. He was extremely courteous & helpful. I hope this information is helpful to others.
Cool, let us all know how the new model works out.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #13

Great! I will be anxiously how yours go. I will post my results as soon as I get the word.
Rockwood 2503s
Old 03-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Appreciate everyone's responses. I've spoken with my dealer & they said they have also been having issues with iRV33. Told me to send them the serial number & they'll either mail me a new one or have a tech come to my house & install a new one. A little disappointing if FR knows these are junk they haven't found a replacement model....Anyways I hope it turns out to be that easy, I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Just a suggestion- going through Todd Leash will be faster and your dealer doesn't have to get involved. Which may be a good thing or not, but worked out better for us, considering our dealer is 3-4 hours away.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #15

Final update; Todd Eash & he send a replacement/upgraded model IRV34 radio as promised. I installed it in approximately 10 minutes & it works as it should. Much better stereo/speaker control than the IRV33 that came new. Very pleased with his customer service & response. Thank you all for the advice!
Old 03-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #16

Well, not so fast. The new replacement (IRV34) isn't working right either. The outside speakers are so loud, the volume doesn't work. They also only play the radio, inside speakers change with the "mode" button but outside only plays radio. I guess I'll get another replacement..........."hello Todd, you there"?
Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Well, not so fast. The new replacement (IRV34) isn't working right either. The outside speakers are so loud, the volume doesn't work. They also only play the radio, inside speakers change with the "mode" button but outside only plays radio. I guess I'll get another replacement..........."hello Todd, you there"?
Hi Tom I'm not sure if you got this straightened out but there's nothing wrong with the radio it's actually a feature of the IRV34.

My new trailer came with that radio and I had the same problem. The outside speakers were full blast and I couldn't turn them down. I found out that the outside speakers zone three Can be controlled separately from the inside speakers.

What you have to do is turn on zone three and then press the zone three button for one second and then the volume knob will control the volume of the outside speakers. Then to control the volume of the inside speakers again just press zone one or two for one second and then the volume knob will control the inside speakers.

It's actually a pretty cool feature. Another nice thing they added to this model is split zone mode. That means that you can listen to one source inside and another source outside. For example, someone can be listening to TV inside while you can have the radio playing on the outside speakers.
If I remember correctly to activate that split mode you press and hold the outside speaker button for more than three seconds and then select the mode you want to listen to outside.

I think after the complaints they had about the outside speakers volume being either too low or too high compared to inside they added that new ability to control the outside speakers separately from the inside. It's a pretty cool feature!

Ray
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #18

Oh I forgot to add to my last post that I had an insert that came with my IRV34. It said that there is an app for iOS and android that can control all of the functions from your phone or tablet.

I haven't downloaded and tried it yet, but that would be actually cool to be able to control the radio while sitting by the fire!

Ray
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #19

After our IRV33 was replaced with the IRV34, the techs found one of the outside speakers not working. Now we are waiting for the new speaker.
Rockwood 2503s
Old 04-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
Hi Tom I'm not sure if you got this straightened out but there's nothing wrong with the radio it's actually a feature of the IRV34.

My new trailer came with that radio and I had the same problem. The outside speakers were full blast and I couldn't turn them down. I found out that the outside speakers zone three Can be controlled separately from the inside speakers.

What you have to do is turn on zone three and then press the zone three button for one second and then the volume knob will control the volume of the outside speakers. Then to control the volume of the inside speakers again just press zone one or two for one second and then the volume knob will control the inside speakers.

It's actually a pretty cool feature. Another nice thing they added to this model is split zone mode. That means that you can listen to one source inside and another source outside. For example, someone can be listening to TV inside while you can have the radio playing on the outside speakers.
If I remember correctly to activate that split mode you press and hold the outside speaker button for more than three seconds and then select the mode you want to listen to outside.

I think after the complaints they had about the outside speakers volume being either too low or too high compared to inside they added that new ability to control the outside speakers separately from the inside. It's a pretty cool feature!

Ray
We took our new 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2506S out for the first time this past weekend. When we tried to turn the outside speaker on, it almost blew us out of the park! Thanks for sharing the information. You saved us a call/visit to our dealer!

Rob & Pris
GeauxCajuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio