Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #1

2509S Battery relay or disconnect issue

We have had our 2509s for a year now (and love it). When we first started camping with it, we had power from the battery to raise and lower the hitch. Mid way through last summer, we lost this capability and always had to plug into power in order to hitch up. Even after camping for 2-4 nights plugged in (knowing this should be charging the battery as well) we still didn't have power to hitch up using just the battery. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Here are things we have done hoping to solve the problem: when we park the camper, we always disconnect the battery (turn the battery switch to off). We also charged the battery to see if that was the issue, it wasn't. We have looked at the relay 'box' and have used the reset button and that hasn't helped either. Are we missing something?

Could it be a problem in the relay box? Could it be a problem with the battery disconnect connection?
sportyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #2

Sounds like maybe the converter isn't charging the battery. Check the two large 40 amp reverse polarity fuses in your fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wfco converter - reverse polarity fuses.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	164808  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #3

Interesting! I'm not sure why you would turn the battery OFF when you are camping. This, of course, disconnects the power center battery charger as well.

When you are disconnected from 'shore' power do your other 12v fixtures work properly? Lights, range hood fan, etc.?

Your setup may be different, but any electric tongue jacks I have seen are wired directly from the battery to the jack. Any chance there is a major problem with your battery? Dead cell(s) might cause this, but allow the power center to pass enough juice through to operate your jack.

I'd be interested to know what you find as the cause to the problem.

John
john a v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Suggest you take your battery out and have it tested. Auto parts store, repair shop, etc. Sounds like the battery is not fully charging...discharging rapidly. If you let the battery discharge fully one time, it is probably shot and needs replacing.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyteacher View Post
We have had our 2509s for a year now (and love it). When we first started camping with it, we had power from the battery to raise and lower the hitch. Mid way through last summer, we lost this capability and always had to plug into power in order to hitch up. Even after camping for 2-4 nights plugged in (knowing this should be charging the battery as well) we still didn't have power to hitch up using just the battery. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Here are things we have done hoping to solve the problem: when we park the camper, we always disconnect the battery (turn the battery switch to off). We also charged the battery to see if that was the issue, it wasn't. We have looked at the relay 'box' and have used the reset button and that hasn't helped either. Are we missing something?

Could it be a problem in the relay box? Could it be a problem with the battery disconnect connection?
Most Properly installed Tongue Jacks have a "Inline fuse" between the Battery and Jack,follow the power wire! Youroo!!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Do you have one of these? (not exactly this one...probably in your tank panel. They are useless save for one thing, if they all don't light when you are hooked to shore power, your converter is not working!!! If they all light then you are charging...and the problem is probably your battery.

As far as the in-line fuse is concerned, the jack wouldn't work on shore power if it were blown.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I probably didn't word this right, but when we are camping we don't turn off the battery, only when we aren't using the camper do we turn the disconnect to off. Our other 12V items don't work without shore power. We have charged the battery (and so has camping world). The battery doesn't seem to be the factor. When we are camping our panel does say our battery is fully charged. I'll be sure to suggest checking the convertor. Keep other ideas coming.
sportyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyteacher View Post
... The battery doesn't seem to be the factor. When we are camping our panel does say our battery is fully charged...
By that I presume you mean that all of the lights glow when you are camping and connected to shore power. That means that converter is working. If you notice, the top LED doesn't say 100%, it usually says "charging" since it lights up when the voltage is over 13 volts, which a battery can never reach.

You may have a problem with your battery disconnect and it never actually brings the battery on to the circuit. If, as you say, the battery is fully charged, when you unplug from shore power, what do the LEDs say then. If none light up and the batteries are connected, you have a problem with the main DC battery fuse or the disconnect isn't connecting...

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
Dobbs from WI

My guess would be that your disconnect switch is faulty. If you are capable, remove and open the switch and remove the wires noting their locations. Using an ohmmeter test connectivity between the posts. The 'closed' position should show zero ohms on a digital meter or the needle should move toward zero on an analog meter (yeah, I still own one of those). The 'open' position will show 1 on digital, no needle movement on analog. I'm betting there won't be any difference and the switch is stuck in the open position.
If I am correct some, WD-40 or electric contact cleaner sprayed in the switch and worked back and forth may cure your woes. A replacement may be in order.
It is important to make sure no wires are on the disconnect switch for this test
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #10

My money is on the battery disconnect switch. Trace the twelve volt wires going into disconnect switch with a multimeter and I bet there will be no power coming out of switch. Take the cover off the disconnect switch, unplug shore power and pull negative battery post off of battery and then pull the fuses in the disconnect switch. There will probably be a 5 amp fuse that powers the switch that will be burnt out. Just dealt with that problem helping some other campers. They took it to repair shop and and the mechanic bypassed the relay so they could carry on camping but not able to use AC shore power untill he got disconnect switch ordered and replaced.

I was tempted to bypass the relay but not being 100 % sure and not wanting to have to buy them a new unit I declined.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #11

Youroo has the answer. IMHO
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #12

Ok, do this. Read voltage between the +and - posts of the battery. Anything above 12volts is ok for these tests. Then turn on the 12volt disconnect switch. Have the tow vehicle and shore power both unplugged for these tests. Go inside and try a couple of lights ect. Try and read the battery gauge. If the inside is “dead” turn the switch the other way and try again. Still dead? Turn the switch back on and check for power between the neg post and BOTH switch posts. If you have power on both sides of the disconnect switch with it turned on then the switch is ok. If you don’t have a multimeter they are cheap and sometimes free at Harbor Freight. Please post what you find out. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery