Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 358
2509s Storage Recommendations Wanted

Hey Guys,

Today is the day I start organizing my gear into bins; I bring the camper home this Wednesday. Sewer, water, electric, leveling, awning mat, etc. Coming from a motorhome I had more external storage to stow all this. How are you guys organizing your gear and where are you putting it? I知 planning on making some good use out of the rear area where the bottom bunk flips up; that just screams totes to me.

I知 thinking most of the native storage on this unit (cabinets and storage bays) are either right over the axles or forward towards the tongue; to me putting some bins in the back would seem to help unload the tongue a little as this little rig would seem to want to hover around 14%-15% tongue heavy naturally.

So what say you guys? How are you loading up?
__________________

__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 F-150 3.5 EB SCREW Max Tow - 1797 payload
Blue Ox SwayPro w/ 1000 lb bars
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Hey Guys,

Today is the day I start organizing my gear into bins; I bring the camper home this Wednesday. Sewer, water, electric, leveling, awning mat, etc. Coming from a motorhome I had more external storage to stow all this. How are you guys organizing your gear and where are you putting it? I知 planning on making some good use out of the rear area where the bottom bunk flips up; that just screams totes to me.

I知 thinking most of the native storage on this unit (cabinets and storage bays) are either right over the axles or forward towards the tongue; to me putting some bins in the back would seem to help unload the tongue a little as this little rig would seem to want to hover around 14%-15% tongue heavy naturally.

So what say you guys? How are you loading up?
I'm interested in hearing what others do as well!
__________________

BostonRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Grammar Pedant
 
67L48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 1,261
I don't worry about where my weight goes in the external storage, as most of my weight is inside: cookware, food, bedding, A/C, and so on.

In the front pass-thru, I tend to put chairs, leveling items, and other long items -- it's about half full most of the time. I keep my tools, general industrial items (grill brush, hatchets), and water hoses (blue and black) in bins in my rear storage (where your rear grill stows). Mid is for electrical, some cookware, bottled water, and some other less industrial items.

I camp with spouse and 2-3 kids and we use less than 75% of our storage outside and probably in the 50-75% of storage inside. Tons of storage options and it's really easy for us to pack everything we need.

I also use the bed of my truck for a few items like wood and my 2-burner camp chef stove.
__________________
Every time you use an apostrophe to make a word plural, a puppy dies.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 358
Until I see how much I'm ringing up tongue wise on my Sherline I'm trying very hard to leave the bed of my truck empty, or perhaps putting just the leveling equipment back there. These 2509s models are quite tongue heavy.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 F-150 3.5 EB SCREW Max Tow - 1797 payload
Blue Ox SwayPro w/ 1000 lb bars
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Chief T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
I'm trying very hard to leave the bed of my truck empty, or perhaps putting just the leveling equipment back there. These 2509s models are quite tongue heavy.
Anything in the bed of your truck forward of the wheelwell will not count against your tongue weight.

Safe and happy travels.
__________________
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 6.2l
Future: 2020 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE
Past: 2017 Prime Time Tracer Air 206
Days camped 2017: 7
Days camped 2018: 15
Days camped 2019: 15
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
Grammar Pedant
 
67L48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 1,261
Don't overthink it. Trailer has 6,800 lb GVWR, so figure 1,000 lbs on the hitch.

You have a bunkhouse trailer, so I'm figuring at least mom (150), dad (200), and a kid (100). 450 lbs for the fully-clothed trio. WDH and other gear in the cab for another 100 lbs.

So, you're at 1,550 lbs. That leaves you with 250 lbs for more kids, wood, bikes, and other gear in your bed ... or to accommodate heavier people.

What you store and where you store it will be rounding errors ... particularly on a double-axle trailer.

Done and done.
__________________
Every time you use an apostrophe to make a word plural, a puppy dies.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
Anything in the bed of your truck forward of the wheelwell will not count against your tongue weight.

Safe and happy travels.
I know, but it all goes against my payload. I'm trying not to roll down the road maxxed out on everything, so the more i can put in the trailer and keep then tongue around 14% the better.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 F-150 3.5 EB SCREW Max Tow - 1797 payload
Blue Ox SwayPro w/ 1000 lb bars
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Don't overthink it. Trailer has 6,800 lb GVWR, so figure 1,000 lbs on the hitch.

You have a bunkhouse trailer, so I'm figuring at least mom (150), dad (200), and a kid (100). 450 lbs for the fully-clothed trio. WDH and other gear in the cab for another 100 lbs.

So, you're at 1,550 lbs. That leaves you with 250 lbs for more kids, wood, bikes, and other gear in your bed ... or to accommodate heavier people.

What you store and where you store it will be rounding errors ... particularly on a double-axle trailer.

Done and done.
Any towing detriment to trying to keep the tongue around 14% vs. the 15% you're estimating? I'm thinking it'd be easy to do w/ the back of the camper; the bottom bed folds up to give me gobs of storage space.

Thanks !
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 F-150 3.5 EB SCREW Max Tow - 1797 payload
Blue Ox SwayPro w/ 1000 lb bars
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
Grammar Pedant
 
67L48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 1,261
I was just using the most conservative value of the range you gave in your OP. Moving a 100 lbs around here and there won't make that much difference, especially on a double-axle trailer.

I'd worry more about convenience than I would in balance. That is, put things where you like them and don't worry so much about which end of the trailer it's on.
__________________
Every time you use an apostrophe to make a word plural, a puppy dies.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 27
Storage in a TT

My last TT didn't have much storage unless in a small cabinet for such as dishes, clothes, etc. I put the chairs, propane tank, BBQ, leveling wood, jacks, sewer hose extensions box, propane outdoor stove, cables, hoses, an RV softner and some tools in the truck box and bed. That is how I got by but it was a pain emptying all that stuff when needing the truck when returning and storing it in the garage.
__________________

Bob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
storage

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


×