Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
TMS

2509s Towing?

Hey everyone. I know asking tow questions on here opens a can of worms as far opinions go but I'm going to do it anyway, so here we go.

I've found what I think is my dream TT - the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s. Hitch weight is listed as essentially 700#s on the new model.

Now my issue. I have a Ford F150 FX4 Super Crew . The tow capacity is 9,500# however the GVWR on the truck is 7200#. The truck with me (200#) in it and a full tank of gas weighs 6250#. This leaves 950#. 950-700 = 250# for the wife, kid (eventually kids), and gear in the truck. Now onto the questions.

1. Has anyone with a 2509s actually taken it to the weigh station and gotten real hitch weight? I've heard manufacture published hitch weights are optimistic at best.

2. Since I'd be pushing the limits on payload, what are things I can do to improve safety while towing? I know about anti sway hitches and would definitely be using one. But what about adding airbags to beef up the suspension? Any other recommendations?

3. What are people towing this (or similar) TT's with? What has their experience been? I'm planning to do weekend warrior towing. Nowhere near full-time and we'll be in the midwest where the terrain is flat for the most part. I'd be interested in hear different stories about people who have put similar vehicles to the test with the same or near same TT.

Lastly, I'm not getting a new tow vehicle. I wish. I've only had the F150 for a little over a year and the wife would shoot me if I told her I wanted to upgrade to a 250. Plus I just love the truck. So yeah, thanks for any insight into my situation you might be able to provide. I appreciate it. If this post looks familiar it's because it is. I asked similar questions awhile back but since the 2509s has been around for a little longer now, I thought I'd revisit the issue. Thanks again everyone. I love reading all the differing point of views on this site and really take it to heart when trying to make decisions.

Cheers.

TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #2
TMS

Seems the 2509s thread I already once I should have read further into as some of these questions were already answered. Sorry for the repeat thread.

TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

IMO your combo will be fine for now...

Remember, your tongue weight will increase once you start packing stuff up-front like in the under-bed storage, front closets, and pass-through storage. For instance, our TT's empty tongue weight is 650, but ready-to-camp we're at 1100+... The empty tongue weight did not factor-in (2) full propane tanks, (2) batteries to power residential fridge, (4) tubs full of tools & stuff in pass-through storage, (6) heavy camping chairs under bed, (2) full closets, enough water for a couple flushes in the front FW tank, etc...

That said, IMO the 2 of you (plus 1 younger child?) can pack light-enough to enjoy this combo as-is. As long as you keep the PU bed empty & don't over-load the front pass-through storage, etc. you can keep everything within your payload. You can always add airbags if you want a more stable rear-end but you NEED a quality WDH, like the affordable Equalizer 4 1200... Our local dealer wouldn't budge from their competitive Internet sale pricing, but when push came to shove they included the WDH, installation & other extras for "free"...

What will get tricky is when you have (bigger) kids & want to bring along their bikes, scooters, dog(s), etc... However, even with that, there are work-arounds. For instance, we mount our (5) bikes to turned-over dinette seats with quick-release fork mounts. With a 3/4 ton we could place the bikes under our fiberglass cap, but that's where I keep the generators, gas, firewood, etc. - stuff I do not want in the TT... Now that they are teenagers, we bring-along inflatable kayaks, extra outdoor tables, canopy tent, firewood, etc. so there is very little room inside the fiberglass cap... And, that's with all of their bikes in the dinette & rear bedroom full of their stuff...

BTW I LOVE our outdoor kitchen. Wouldn't buy another TT without one. Keeps me from having to go in & out when grilling...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #4

hitch weight

Doesn't the WDH take some of the load off the hitch?
H-Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS View Post
Hey everyone. I know asking tow questions on here opens a can of worms as far opinions go but I'm going to do it anyway, so here we go.

I've found what I think is my dream TT - the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s. Hitch weight is listed as essentially 700#s on the new model.

Now my issue. I have a Ford F150 FX4 Super Crew . The tow capacity is 9,500# however the GVWR on the truck is 7200#. The truck with me (200#) in it and a full tank of gas weighs 6250#. This leaves 950#. 950-700 = 250# for the wife, kid (eventually kids), and gear in the truck. Now onto the questions.

1. Has anyone with a 2509s actually taken it to the weigh station and gotten real hitch weight? I've heard manufacture published hitch weights are optimistic at best.

2. Since I'd be pushing the limits on payload, what are things I can do to improve safety while towing? I know about anti sway hitches and would definitely be using one. But what about adding airbags to beef up the suspension? Any other recommendations?

3. What are people towing this (or similar) TT's with? What has their experience been? I'm planning to do weekend warrior towing. Nowhere near full-time and we'll be in the midwest where the terrain is flat for the most part. I'd be interested in hear different stories about people who have put similar vehicles to the test with the same or near same TT.

Lastly, I'm not getting a new tow vehicle. I wish. I've only had the F150 for a little over a year and the wife would shoot me if I told her I wanted to upgrade to a 250. Plus I just love the truck. So yeah, thanks for any insight into my situation you might be able to provide. I appreciate it. If this post looks familiar it's because it is. I asked similar questions awhile back but since the 2509s has been around for a little longer now, I thought I'd revisit the issue. Thanks again everyone. I love reading all the differing point of views on this site and really take it to heart when trying to make decisions.

Cheers.
Look at a pair of Timbren SES rear suspension add ons. They replace your existing rear bump stops. They are passive in that they take effect when the truck is loaded. Otherwise they retain your trucks original ride when not in use. IMO they are better than air bags and no maintenance. Also I believe they are made in Canada.
Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

We tow our 2509S with an Diesel Excursion using an equalizer WDH, but we have been renting our unit out and the last two renters had F150s and towed it without issue using our WDH. I did notice their back end drop some, but they said it felt find towing. So it can be done, now should it be done and is it safe, not sure but it is advertised (At least by the sales folks) that is can be towed by a 1/2 done.
efiguero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
Grammar Pedant

First, your actual tow capacity will be on your door jamb sticker. So, you don't have to do the theoretical math to calculate this. It's already rated.

Second, your trailer won't have a 700 lb hitch weight. The GVWR of the 2509 is in the 6,500 lb neighborhood and you'll have that thing loaded in the 6,000-6,300 lb range. They're a little front-heavy, so figure 12-13% on the tongue. You'll be in the 750-800 lb range ... probably closer to 800 lbs.

Then, as you have done, add up the weights of the people in the truck, the WDH itself, any aftermarket parts (lights, stereos, bumpers), any gear, pets, wood in the bed, bikes, etc. Make sure that all of this adds up to a number less than your door jamb payload rating ... you'll pass this # long before your tow capacity on a 1/2 ton.

I struggle to tow mine ... though I'm usually at 5,000 - 8,000'. If you're at lower altitudes, your experience will be better than mine.

You said nothing about the year of your truck, the options, the engine, or anything else. So, it's difficult to offer much more insight there.

Good luck.

TV: 2005 F150, 5.4L, Tow Package, 4WD
Current RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #8

It might help you some, but I am pretty sure Ford included the weight of a full gas tank in the available payload number on the sticker. Most F150s screws will land in the 1400-1700# range for available payload.
I pull my 2905ws w/ a 900# rough tw with my 2016 screw and it handles not problem. Granted I have max tow on it and also is the Equalizer hitch. My available pl is 1760#.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Allen View Post
Doesn't the WDH take some of the load off the hitch?
Absolutely not.
WDH is a weight distribution device, not a weight elimination device. It distributes weight across both truck axles instead of only the rear axle, but virtually the entire tongue weight is carried by the TV
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

X2 on the Timbrens! Got the 5400 pound models on our 2014 Chevy 1/2 ton. Now the truck rides the same with or without the 2504s attached. I do not use a WDH or sway control and have no problems. Jay

Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing