Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #1

2703 surge guard install

Has anyone hard-wired a Surge Guard brand surge protector on their 2703WS, and if so where did you mount it?
seldent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do yourself a favor if you haven't already bought a surge guard and buy a progressive industries ems.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "2"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

I haven't purchased yet, thank you.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

Last week I installed a Progressive EMS in our 2703WS. I mounted it on the floor next to the furnace. I removed the right grill below the sink. The feed wire was just long enough to cut and feed through the EMS box. The gas line (for the outside connection) that goes through the floor was sort of in the way. I mounted the remote display on the floor inside the cabinet next to the power panel with double sided tape.

A day or two later the EMS started turning on and off every few seconds. I took the cover off of the breaker box in the garage and tightened all of the screws. The EMS hasn't shut off since. It found a problem I didn't know I had. I think I'll go downstairs and tighten the screws in the main breaker panel.

HW30C on Amazon 239.99 free two day shipping with Prime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_185737_(1024_x_768).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	106916  

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
Last week I installed a Progressive EMS in our 2703WS. I mounted it on the floor next to the furnace. I removed the right grill below the sink. The feed wire was just long enough to cut and feed through the EMS box. The gas line (for the outside connection) that goes through the floor was sort of in the way. I mounted the remote display on the floor inside the cabinet next to the power panel with double sided tape.

A day or two later the EMS started turning on and off every few seconds. I took the cover off of the breaker box in the garage and tightened all of the screws. The EMS hasn't shut off since. It found a problem I didn't know I had. I think I'll go downstairs and tighten the screws in the main breaker panel.

HW30C on Amazon 239.99 free two day shipping with Prime.

Just a suggestion, you should mount the pi on feet so the bottom has free air under it.
The bottom of the pi does get warm and will discolor the floor.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Do yourself a favor if you haven't already bought a surge guard and buy a progressive industries ems.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-su...uide-a/279.htm

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "2"
2015 nights camped "34"
X2
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

Thank you for all the ideas. I pick up my new unit next week, and this is the first thing I plan on doing.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Just a suggestion, you should mount the pi on feet so the bottom has free air under it.
The bottom of the pi does get warm and will discolor the floor.
I did put a piece of 1/4" plywood under it, but it would be better if air could circulate under it.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:22 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I did put a piece of 1/4" plywood under it, but it would be better if air could circulate under it.

Definitely
Old 05-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
New to Forest River

Good investment! I installed a Progressive 30 amp EMS about 18 months ago and it has paid for itself. The error display feature is great. Here is a list of issues that it has detected since I installed it.

Faulty ground
Reverse polarity
Excessively high voltage
Low voltage

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 05-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #11

Thanks all, purchased Progressive. Delivery of my 2703 is on Saturday morning and it will be installed Saturday nite.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldent View Post
Thank you for all the ideas. I pick up my new unit next week, and this is the first thing I plan on doing.
Let me know how yours is holding up. I was told my 2703 should be offline on 5/24. After the lightning storms we've had the last few days, I just ordered the HW50C (I've got 50A and two AC units on mine). I've thought about getting one for the 2104S for two years now and just never did. Since I'll be keeping this one a while, I figure I probably needed to go ahead and do it.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #13

We just got back from Gettysburg, checking out Travel resorts of America (Don't waste your time. The 21 days of free camping they offer for listening to their sales pitch is three coupons good for one visit of up to 7 days. Only one coupon for June through August. $14K for the buy-in and an annual fee). The 2703 got a good wet weather test. Over an inch of rain in 36 hours. The only problems were the toilet flap that failed less than 24 hours after we took delivery, failed again. The service tech that repaired said it may not have been a permanent fix. He was right. If that flap doesn't seal (no water staying in toilet), you pull black tank odor out when the vent fans are on.
The other issue is the sofa is not bolted down. At all! We have to make sure it is pushed back against the wall before we open the slide. It moves when traveling. It barely fits on the slide. If it moves out an inch, the front legs are supported only by carpet. I will contact RVW tomorrow.

As for the surge protector it's working fine. I put a strip of half inch plywood under each side so air can flow under the box. The relay is energized when shore power is on and OK so the coil heats up a little. Not too much though, it's in a plastic box. Someone on the forums suggested using plugs on the wires so you can easily pull the EMS out when you move on to a new trailer (not for a while I hope). That gas line I mentioned comes up through the floor to feed the furnace, not out to the grill hose.

I also installed a laundry chute on the right side of the bed and a dimmer for the awning LEDs

Old 05-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
The other issue is the sofa is not bolted down. At all! We have to make sure it is pushed back against the wall before we open the slide. It moves when traveling. It barely fits on the slide. If it moves out an inch, the front legs are supported only by carpet. I will contact RVW tomorrow.

May be SOP with these, as the one I looked at before ordering mine wasn't bolted down either. I noticed that when I was playing with opening the sofa.

I also installed a laundry chute on the right side of the bed and a dimmer for the awning LEDs
If I didn't need the outside storage space, I'd probably try the laundry shoot, lol. Now, the LED dimmer I like. I had to replace my 2104S awning lights and went RGBW w/dimmer for about $25 shipped. I liked having the dimmable feature.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:

As for the surge protector it's working fine. I put a strip of half inch plywood under each side so air can flow under the box. The relay is energized when shore power is on and OK so the coil heats up a little. Not too much though, it's in a plastic box. Someone on the forums suggested using plugs on the wires so you can easily pull the EMS out when you move on to a new trailer (not for a while I hope). That gas line I mentioned comes up through the floor to feed the furnace, not out to the grill hose.

Looks to be plenty of room under the sink for PI. seems to be a good location.

As for the sofa, I noticed right away that it was not attached to the floor. Let us know what they say....
Old 05-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #16

I had the same issue with my 2703 the sofa wasn't bolted down and after the second trip worked it's way loose...Went to Home Depot and bought alittle larger lag bolts and re-secured the the sofa to the floor I have been checking it after each trip and no issues so far.

One other thing on the 2703 to check is the decorative center piece moldings on the slide outs the one on the fridge slide out fell off and the one on the dinette slide out was loose so another trip to HD to pickup some finishing nails and fix all is good now
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #17

Follow Up

For anybody else with a 2703WS installing a PI EMS, I would suggest cutting the wires under the sink at the far right of the cabinet space, going to Lowe's or HD and buying six feet of 6-3 cable (about $18) and taking the breaker panel out.

I made the mistake of trying to install with very little room while standing on my head in nearly 100 degree heat. The extra wire allows you to wire the box where you have room then feed the six feet under the cabinet and out the breaker box opening into the hallway. Then you can cut off the extra and wire to the box and reinstall. MUCH easier with a little extra slack in the wires. That 6 gauge stuff is a pain to work with in tight areas.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
For anybody else with a 2703WS installing a PI EMS, I would suggest cutting the wires under the sink at the far right of the cabinet space, going to Lowe's or HD and buying six feet of 6-3 cable (about $18) and taking the breaker panel out.

I made the mistake of trying to install with very little room while standing on my head in nearly 100 degree heat. The extra wire allows you to wire the box where you have room then feed the six feet under the cabinet and out the breaker box opening into the hallway. Then you can cut off the extra and wire to the box and reinstall. MUCH easier with a little extra slack in the wires. That 6 gauge stuff is a pain to work with in tight areas.
This is exactly what I did. There is lots of room under the sink. But I used 10 gauge. The only difficulty I had was pulling the existing wire out of the breaker box, through the wire lock nuts.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #19

I wish I'd thought to get extra wire before I started. I've got 50A, so I had to use the heavier wire...just glad it wasn't winter. I can imagine trying to bend that stuff cold.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #20

Sorry this is off topic but I got an explanation for why the sofa is not anchored. They told me that the sofa has to move away from the wall a little when opening it. I checked mine and it opens without interference even when it is tight against the wall. I put two 5/16 "J" bolts through the floor next to the wall behind the sofa and used 1" straps to secure it.