Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #1

2703WS Awning Size

Hi! New to this forum, but not new to camping. My husband and I have been looking to purchase the Rockwood 2703WS. We love everything about it - the layout, the quality, the size, the storage. It basically has everything we are looking for in an extended stay RV. However, the only downside - and it may just be us! - that we see is the size of the awning.

With one slideout on the entry door side, it takes away from total usage of the awning. We're thinking that a picnic table would have to go to the right of the entry door, and that space is really tight for a standard 6 ft. picnic table.

I realize this is not the most critical of issues, but since we enjoy eating and spending alot of time outdoors while camping, it is important to us that we can utilize the awning.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do with the picnic table? Thanks!
bkjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjones View Post
With one slideout on the entry door side, it takes away from total usage of the awning. We're thinking that a picnic table would have to go to the right of the entry door, and that space is really tight for a standard 6 ft. picnic table.
I realize this is not the most critical of issues...
It was a critical issue for us and that is why we never considered buying a trailer with a curb-side slide. You can't have it both ways unless you go really big. That big ol' slide takes up most of your outdoor space. The 2703WS is made for indoor camping. (Which is why we got its cousin, the 2604WS).
Your solution will be to pack an E-Z Up and set it adjacent to the awning. Unfortunately, this is one of those "Can't have your cake and eat it, too" situations.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

Dear Teach - Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, that is the conclusion we're coming to also - ugh! We are also looking at the 2604WS. Do you find the indoor living space comparable to the 2703WS ? We definitely don't want to be messing around with an EZ Up! Thanks for your feedback.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Do you find the indoor living space comparable to the 2703WS ?
Glad to help. If you go here Rockwood Ultra Lite Travel Trailer Specifications by Forest River
you'll see how much longer the 2703WS is. I wanted a trailer under 30 feet. We still do a lot of state and federal parks. Penny wanted more floor room than our non-slide Sunline had and lots of clothes storage.
There are just we two so we took a chair out of Rocky to increase floor space for our two cats' bowls to be out of the way. The 2604WS has plenty of galley storage and enough counter surface w/o using the counter extension.
Since you are concerned about losing awning space, I'll assume that you all, like we, are outdoor livers and cookers? Both units come with an outdoor gas grill and work table. So here is the 21' awning with no slide in the way.

The choice is, of course, yours. All I can say is if I were you, I'd look at the 2604WS and if you want more galley space see the 2608WS.
But - they are smaller trailers, no doubt, and you will give up 2 feet of living area.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #5

Dear Teach - Thanks for the great feedback and pictures. Unfortunately, the awning issue may be a deal breaker for us since we do spend alot of time outdoors - weather permitting. On a good note, we are planning on looking at a 2604WS this weekend. We really appreciate the information you've shared. Enjoy your trailer - keep on camping! We'll keep you posted!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Canadian Member

Interesting point. We've been considering a move to either the Rockwood 2703WS or its Flagstaff twin the 27RLWS. We're OK with not having the full length awning but it hadn't occurred to me that there might be an issue with placing the picnic table in front of the door and not having it completely under the awning. I agree that that is a deal breaker.

Do any owners of these models have pictures of your setup that you can post here, or comments on this?

This page is the closest I could find that shows this model with the awning deployed.
http://www.cheyennecampingcenter.com...aders/FS27RLWS
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
This page is the closest I could find that shows this model with the awning deployed.
Flagstaff 27RLWS Super Lite Rear Living Room Travel Trailer
And you noticed when photographing the grill, table and awning, the slide was IN? Wonder why that is? Things that make you say, "Hmmmmmm...."
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Always Learning

Even with long awnings, we had issues with their placement and how we would use the camper. We struck a few really nice units from our list due to it.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #9

I did check out this website, and yup, the slide is in when the awning is out. And the door is closed. I still can't get a good idea of size from those pictures. I need to see some real-life pictures, with a 6 ft. picnic table under it somewhere! I have also posted this question on the Flagstaff forum for the 27RLWS and received similar responses. Hopefully, someone will come thru with actual pictures. Need to make a decision soon to be ready in time for the season. Just frustrated that manufacturers can't give me a TT with everything I want, that isn't 35 ft. long and weighs 8000 lbs! We will keep up the search.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Need to make a decision soon to be ready in time for the season.
Roger that. I heard tell the build time is now approaching 8 weeks and climbing.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 03-21-2014, 09:12 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
I did check out this website, and yup, the slide is in when the awning is out. And the door is closed. I still can't get a good idea of size from those pictures. I need to see some real-life pictures, with a 6 ft. picnic table under it somewhere! I have also posted this question on the Flagstaff forum for the 27RLWS and received similar responses. Hopefully, someone will come thru with actual pictures. Need to make a decision soon to be ready in time for the season. Just frustrated that manufacturers can't give me a TT with everything I want, that isn't 35 ft. long and weighs 8000 lbs! We will keep up the search.
Owned a 2703 ourselves. We had enough room for a picnic table under the awning, Just be careful opening the door and locking it back.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Canadian Member

I suppose you could always get one of these to extend out from the awning if the door swing interferes with placement of the picnic table.
SunBlocker by Carefree - Sierra Brown 6' x 17' - Carefree of Colorado 82178202 - Shades - Camping World
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #13

Look at 2904SS

Quote:
Dear Teach - Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, that is the conclusion we're coming to also - ugh! We are also looking at the 2604WS. Do you find the indoor living space comparable to the 2703WS ? We definitely don't want to be messing around with an EZ Up! Thanks for your feedback.
We have the 2904SS which is similar to the 2604WS with a few differences, the 2904SS does not have the wardrobe slide but has two wardrobes next to the bed. It has a pantry the 2604 does not. It is longer (33') but you do not have to move the recliner rockers when closing the super slide. The bathroom has the same amenities but is smaller in area. The awning is large and has plenty of room for anything you wish under it. One other thing to consider, less sliders to maintenance or worry about leaking (we had that with our old trailer, caused a lot of damage).

2013 Rockwood 2904SS Emerald Edition
2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 TRD

Nights camped 2014 = 5
majordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordel View Post
We have the 2904SS which is similar to the 2604WS with a few differences ...It is longer (33') ...
LOL! Yes, going from 30' to 34' (29'8" vs. 33'8") is a BIG difference.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #15

Great conversation! We currently have a Tracer with the RL floorplan. We are considering the Rockwood Ultralight 2703WS. The floorplans will work completely differently ( I hope ) and the 2703 should have tons more storage than our Tracer. The 2703 takes care of 95% of the things about the Tracer that drive me to distraction. There is the pro of having the whole awning area. What I dislike is the placement of the door and the way it opens right where the awning ends. In looking at the pix and the great link someone provided (thanks ) I'm thinking I will use the area to the left of the door for my outside kitchen. We do have the sunshade. We typically like using our chairs and tv size tables rather than a picnic table so I think we'll be ok. So many things to think about!!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #16

UPDATE: So after weeks of research, looking at and harassing RV sales people, both in-person and on-line, commiserating about awning size and storage space, we have finally decided on our new RV. Much to the chagrin of the Forest River folks, we have decided to purchase a Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 298REDS.

Let me say this. We had narrowed down our search to the Flagstaff 27RLWS or the Rockwood 2703WS or 2604WS – whichever one we could get the better price on. Then one evening while watching HGTV, there was a show on RVs. Low and behold, they showed some Coachmen travel trailers that looked like they had everything we were looking for. After looking on-line at the various floor plans, and trailer weight and height, we found our local dealer and made a trip. Long story short, once we saw the 298REDS we knew it was for us. It had everything we were looking for – a large awning, plenty of kitchen storage space, plenty of storage space period, a rear entertainment area and a floor plan that worked for us. Although it is a bit longer than we originally planned on! So yesterday we put down a deposit and placed our order.

Thanks for all of the feedback on the awning issue. It’s great to know there are people out there that went through or are going through the same issues we are and are willing to share their observations, thoughts and pictures!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Although it is a bit longer than we originally planned on!
Well, yes. Now you're at 35 feet. You needed a big trailer all along and you found it. Congrats!
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

Tags
awning