Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 PM   #11

We took delivery of our 2703WS the last week of June. Had issues with the kitchen slide after second trip. Back to dealer and they supposedly replaced one motor. Still wouldn't work properly, but we were leaving and they couldn't get us back in (or weren't interested to be more precise). Towed it 1000 kilometres to our next stop and found a great guy at one of the local RV shops who was an expert on slides. He got us in next day and replaced, reseated, and rewired both motors. Neither one were seated properly and one was wired backwards. $600 later it works perfectly. Trying to recover that bill from Forest River.
The opposite slide -the dinette - blows the fuse every time we retract it. At least it goes out every time ! and only takes a minute to replace the fuse. Will check wiring now that i have a few days to look at things. Haven't had the dreaded shower leak and that part is all good. We had the dealer install a fireplace in the cabinet under the TV and it is awesome. The TV remote also turns it off and on, which is a PIA, and the only circuit it could be wired into is the kitchen one - so if the toaster, microwave, or coffee maker are in use, the fireplace gets kicked off. But thats manageable, and we love the fireplace.
Overall fit and finish are mediocre, and its really pretty hard to believe. Had we bought a car for the same price we would probably have returned it if we could. The better half has lots of comments and simple suggestions that would improve finish and function, but where do you send them and will anyone listen ????
We tow with an F150 EcoBoost MaxTow and find the trailer very light on the tongue. Still trying to get balance right, but way more "bucking" than there should be.
We love the layout and have been full time since the end of July - a month after we took delivery. We plan to travel a fair bit and the 2703 seems to be the best compromise for space, towing, and access to the places we want to go.
From what I read on these forums the quality issues are rampant in the industry, and I'm glad we opted for a sensible option to try this lifestyle out instead of going for the top end "bling" and still having quality issues. Unfortunately, it seems you must be prepared to take delivery of a less than quality product and then make it work for you. This probably means whatever you buy or order, you should plan on an extra grand or two and a few months to sort everything out.
But once everything works ...... it's great !!

Old 09-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

[QUOTE=Ancha71;678985]I will replace these with manual jacks the first chance I get.[/QUOTE]
Just remove the electric motors and use the hand crank to extend the stabilizers. You do it from the street side. I had a motor go bad (water ingress - replaced under warranty) and discovered how easy the manual crank was to operate.

2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #13

Anyone else having problems with the key locks. The deadbolt on the door failed first and now the slam lock under the bed is getting more difficult every time we put in the key. Any ideas for a lubricant to put on the Key?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #14

We don't use our deadbolt that much but haven't had a problem when we did. I've been using WD40 on the slam locks.
Bob
Old 10-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe wessling View Post
Any ideas for a lubricant to put on the Key?
Molybdimumdisulfide(sp?). We auto mechanics shortened it to "molly." It is a graphite-like lubricant, applied wet, it dries to a coating that is dry and slippery as snot. (That's an industry term).
Powdered graphite, also sparayed as a powder, put into the lock will work, too. These are available at NAPA.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #16

2014 Rockwood 29RKSS 5th wheel

This is the first RV that my wife and I have purchased. We made the purchase the beginning of February 2014. All I can say is from the "after sale" issues with the dealer and service department through the last 8 months of ownership, I will NEVER own another Forrest River product again. As a new owner, I fully expected a learning curve. The "quality" and "craftsmanship" are not there. I understand that this unit is an entry level unit and is far from their top of the line flagship line, but come on, that doesn't mean that you can produce a poorly constructed unit and then take advantage of your customers. I was told by the dealer that the unit would be fully ready to travel across country upon delivery. On my first stop when I hooked up the on site water, the low drain plugs and water heater plug wasn't installed. Then when we were off of water, the water pump wasn't working. Well I guess it won't work when the water pump screen cap isn't installed. Then the kitchen sink was leaking all over the floor. It ended up being that the drain pipe was cut about 1/4" to long and wasn't making a good seal. Three weeks into ownership we experienced our first propane leak which I must say was not my idea of a good time. The electrical breaker is constantly tripping. The GFCI breaker will trip and I'll push in the reset button but it won't reset. The motorized awning quit after the third time that I extended it. All of the wall seam tape has separated. The privacy shades ripped from the wall on our second trip. The weatherstripping around one of the windows on our main slide out came out just from extending the slide. The refrigerator won't switch to propane when disconnected from power. That was awsome to drive 10hrs to find that all of our food had spoiled. I have a whole list of thing but I've gone on my rant long enough. My experience has not been good and if it wouldn't count as a repossession and affect my credit, I would have returned it a long time ago. Like I said, I will NEVER own another Forrest River product again.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #17

2703ws woes strike again

MDW finally calmed me down from out last rant about the poor quality of the 2703WS and our dealer (Dandy RV, Al). We took the RV to them (Did I mention they are 1.5 hours away from us) in late October for them to replace a bad front Stabilizer motor and we got it back last Saturday (21 Nov)(3 weeks??!).
I checked the unit out while we were at the dealership and all looked well and quick electrical tests passed for slides and the like...everything worked.
We get her to the house and powered her up and find now the Rear stabilizer will not lower down and the porch light led bar only comes on 1/2 way across!!. WT!
Glad I didn't drive further than I did or the damned thing would have started to fall apart.
We must have bought a Monday unit!! Its been in the shop more than on the road. I called and complained to the service manager and told him I was ver unhappy and he told me to bring it back in and he would check out the issue!!.
No way - I'm trading it in!!! I want a unit I can depend on not one that is a maintenance horse! I totally understand maintenance is required however when a unit has been in the shop for more than 8 months out of a year something is wrong (or is it just me projecting?).
I don't think I will never buy another Rockwood unit again.
Days Camped in 2017: 25 (so far)
ejknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 AM   #18

It's too bad y'all are having so many issues with your trailers. We purchased our trailer in April and have not had any problems to speak of. Everything is still working so far. We did get the air mattress replaced and I had a couple of small insignificant things fixed. Our dealer checked our trailer thoroughly before we did our walkthrough and made sure all issues were corrected before I arrived for pickup. So far I have no complaints.
thecigarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #19

I guess I have been luckier than most. My dealer RV ONE in Tampa did a three hour walk through and we had only a couple of issues. Hasn't been back for any repairs. As a matter of fact they have sent a technician to us to replace a faulty switch on the awning, that was misdiagnosed as a motor and replaced the door lock that failed. The cabinet over the sink started to come apart but we fixed that with some longer screws and mending plates. Overall DW and I are very pleased so far and would recommend FR and my dealer. Considering all that goes into these units I would be surprised if any were perfect.

2015 Rockwood 2703ws
Ford f-150 5.0
24 Nights camped since Sept 11
Old 01-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #20

Update ...I have been in contact with Chris at Forest River warranty department and he says he has saved the day...
He has been more than helpful in getting me to the right people to fix my issues (according to him) so we will try it the Forest River way and see how it goes. Maybe the dealer they are having me go to will be able to fix the remaining issues

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Days Camped in 2017: 25 (so far)
ejknight is offline   Reply With Quote