Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Retired

2880ws converter location?

I purchased a new 2880WS fifth wheel in May. Due to a wiring error on my part, my converter has stopped working. After much searching I am unable to determine where the converter is. It's clearly in place that will require removing various panels. I would prefer not to completely dismantle my RV just to find it.

Can anyone tell me where to look?

Thanks.
dcmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmccracken View Post
I purchased a new 2880WS fifth wheel in May. Due to a wiring error on my part, my converter has stopped working. After much searching I am unable to determine where the converter is. It's clearly in place that will require removing various panels. I would prefer not to completely dismantle my RV just to find it.

Can anyone tell me where to look?

Thanks.
Should be a WFCO converter and it's behind the fuse/breaker panel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Retired

Thanks. I know it's a WFCO 9855 but couldn't figure out where it is. I guess I have to pull the breaker panel out to get to it?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Team

The converter location can vary. On some it may be directly below the electric panel in the RV, and you just simply remove the panel cover.

Some may be under a step to the bedroom in a fifth wheel. Some can be under a bed. Some can be accessed thru a pass thru storage hidden panel.

We have a previous thread on this. Let me see if I can find it as it has pics.

I have a feeling you have blown your converters reverse polarity fuses. These can be on the converter itself or actually in the distribution panel, especially if a wfco.

If in the panel, Look for a pair of 30-40 amps fuses and see if they are good. If you connect a battery positive and negative wire incorrect, these fuses blow to protect the converter. It happens a lot. If the fuses blow, your converter will not work till you replace them.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Here is a pic of two 40 amp reverse polarity fuses in a wfco distribution panel.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Retired

I have the manual for the converter which states the reverse polarity fuses are on the converter. Since my mistake was on the AC side and not the DC side, I would be pleasantly surprised if that is the problem, but I need to find the unit to test that.

My distribution panel is on the back wall under the refrigerator, with a fairly large space behind it. There is definitely room for the converter there. But the only way I see to access that space is to remove the panel. At this point that's a project for another day.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Site Team

Ahhh, AC side sounds like 240 volt input error

If that's what happened, then yes you will definitely need to get to the converter as in all the member threads I been involved with that.... they always need replacement, or give up the ghost shortly thereafter.

Also if 240 volts applied...the microwave, television, fridge control board, and electric fireplaces are hit and miss items on needing replaced

Old 09-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

The WF-9855 converter is separate from the distribution panel so it could be anywhere. The reverse polarity fuses are on the converter. It may be closer to the battery compartment than the distribution panel. The troubleshooting chart can be found here: http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...800-Series.pdf

If you plugged into 240v service you may have other damaged appliances.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Ahhh, AC side sounds like 240 volt input error

If that's what happened, then yes you will definitely need to get to the converter as in all the member threads I been involved with that.... they always need replacement, or give up the ghost shortly thereafter.

Also if 240 volts applied...the microwave, television, fridge control board, and electric fireplaces are hit and miss items on needing replaced
What actually happened is the neutral wire was not anchored properly in the box, and I got 170 volts on one leg and 85 volts on the other after the neutral burned away. This happened in July. So far it looks like the converter is the only casualty. Amazon lists a new WFCO 9855 for about $135, so if that's all I have to replace I consider myself very lucky. I just have to find it.

Replacing it is not all that urgent at this point. I have an extension cord running to a battery charger so I have reliable 12v power.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmccracken View Post
What actually happened is the neutral wire was not anchored properly in the box, and I got 170 volts on one leg and 85 volts on the other after the neutral burned away.
OK, so you had an open neutral. We've seen that several times too.

Let me do some searching at home tonight as there is a thread I was involved in one time that had a bunch of pics of different converter locations in RV's...that may help you find yours if nobody with your same RV chimes in.

For those who may be following, one of my favorite RV websites has a good article on open neutrals with 50 amp RV's. You can find such here, on the open neutral tab.

RV Electric

Old 09-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
Site Team

Since you have to replace the converter on your dime anyway, why not get a better unit.

Contact Best Converter and they'll be able to give you a good replacement for the one you have.

Tags
cat, converter, location