Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
The_Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 625
I have no doubt that a shiny new $40K+ F150 EB w/HD will perform better than a 10 year-old 3/4 ton with tired engine, 4/5 speed tranny, saggy springs, and worn tires... However, how will the EB hold-up in 10 years? I once had a Mazda 626 with turbo & the older she got, the less kick the turbo gave... Just sayin'...

I also agree that the Ram 1500 has a worthless payload... Although I am loyal to Ram for replacing my Hemi under warranty - no hassles - I would not recommend the 1500 to anyone serious about camping... However, you can pick-up a Ram 2500 for less than some others' 1/2 tons. I have the 5.7 Hemi but if I were buying today I would take a good look at the 6.4 Hemi w/greater payload & tow capacity compared to anything else in the price-range...
__________________

__________________
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi ($14K in '13)
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition ($20K in '14)
Days camped in 2017-31
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #52
pastorscottz
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 13
3/4 to 1/2 Ton Tow Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
While I am very happy that you have a great towing experience, there is zero chance that you are not over payload weight on that Ram 1500

I'm under payload by 250 lbs and towing by 1,500 lbs.
__________________

__________________
Scott Ziegler

2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS 5th wheel
2012 Ram 1500 Hemi
pastorscottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorscottz View Post
I'm under payload by 250 lbs and towing by 1,500 lbs.
Shipped weight is 1146 on the pin. most Rams have 1440 as their payloads. I am sure you and your wife are skinny, carry nothing in your fifth wheel and never have more then a 1/4 tank of gas in the truck

Not saying your truck won't handle it, but if you weigh it, you will be over
__________________
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
The_Rhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 625
Quote:
I'm under payload by 250 lbs and towing by 1,500 lbs.
If you are using your Ram 1500 to move it (empty) to a permanent site, then you are fine. However, as soon as you load passengers & gear I don't see how you can stay under your payload of <1,500 & GCVW of 14,000... Have you checked it at a CAT scale since loading people & gear?

In comparison, my much lighter 6,500 (empty) TT becomes 8,250 ready to camp & my GCVW is very close to 15,000. I run out of GCVW before I ever reach payload or tow capacity... I expect a CAT scale to show that you are well over your 14,000 GCVW...

Not trying to be picky, but most new folks make decisions on dry numbers & then end-up having to pay more to trade-up their TV. Just trying to help folks make an informed decision...
__________________
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi ($14K in '13)
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition ($20K in '14)
Days camped in 2017-31
2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ennis TX
Posts: 245
Ill throw my 2 cents in here as I have a unique position. I have a 2014 Ecoboost that was going to replace my 06 F350. Problem was we upgraded our trailer from a 6500lb 29' Wildwood to a 36' 8327 Rockwood @ about 9k loaded and 1350 on the hitch. Well I am still towing with the diesel. The Ecoboost has plenty of power but the suspension is not up to the tongue weight of that trailer. It would do ok for a quick short hop i guess. Car manufacturers are rating these trucks so high in tow capacity but the payload capacity is not up to par for towing these big trailers. I would always rather have more truck than needed.
__________________
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #56
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorscottz View Post
I'm under payload by 250 lbs and towing by 1,500 lbs.
If you're satisfied, that's all that counts. JMO
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you're satisfied, that's all that counts. JMO
X2.
__________________
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland (Land of Pleasent Living)
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
I have no doubt that a shiny new $40K+ F150 EB w/HD will perform better than a 10 year-old 3/4 ton with tired engine, 4/5 speed tranny, saggy springs, and worn tires... However, how will the EB hold-up in 10 years? I once had a Mazda 626 with turbo & the older she got, the less kick the turbo gave... Just sayin'...

I also agree that the Ram 1500 has a worthless payload... Although I am loyal to Ram for replacing my Hemi under warranty - no hassles - I would not recommend the 1500 to anyone serious about camping... However, you can pick-up a Ram 2500 for less than some others' 1/2 tons. I have the 5.7 Hemi but if I were buying today I would take a good look at the 6.4 Hemi w/greater payload & tow capacity compared to anything else in the price-range...

Rhino, my shiny new F150 was 29k new off the lot. It has the HD Payload package and the max tow package. The F250 had 80k on it when I sold it. E rated Tires had 10k on them. I know a lot of people can't wrap their minds around how well these Eco Boost trucks pull. Now in no way am I saying they pull better then a new 3/4 ton truck but the F150 is more then capable. As for 10 years from now, mine is 2013, I won't be able to answer that for 7 more years. But there are some Eco Boost out there that are 5 years old and still going strong.
__________________
fishrprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #59
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Shipped weight is 1146 on the pin. most Rams have 1440 as their payloads. I am sure you and your wife are skinny, carry nothing in your fifth wheel and never have more then a 1/4 tank of gas in the truck

Not saying your truck won't handle it, but if you weigh it, you will be over
To be fair, Ram has a 150 lb. driver and a full tank of gas (either 26 or 32 gallons) and all necessary fluids configured into the available payload capacity of your truck.
__________________
The Crow 1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 View Post
To be fair, Ram has a 150 lb. driver and a full tank of gas (either 26 or 32 gallons) and all necessary fluids configured into the available payload capacity of your truck.
I agree on the 150 lb driver, but I did think it was a half tank of fuel. Either way, you make a valid point.

I would assume that there is more than one person going. That adds 150 to the payload. That's 1300 lbs (Pin weight from the manufacture + passenger). What's a fifth wheel hitch weigh? If its more than 140 lbs, he is already over the payload without loading a single thing in his truck or trailer.

I just got done looking for a new Ram and couldn't figure out how to make the payload work so I bought a 2500. It was 35k out the door and I am ready when DW wants a shiny new camper

With that said, if he is comfortable towing it, that's his business, I wish him good luck, cold beers and hot campfires.
__________________

__________________
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Sandpiper 25RLS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.