Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
THE NEW GUY

Question 30 to 50 amp

Going camping this weekend and all they have are 50 amp hook ups, my TT has a 30 amp, like most. I know you can buy an adaptor to go from 30 to 50 , has anyone ever had any issues doing this. Thanks ahead of time for your advise.

rvgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

No issues, but don't buy anything until you get there. Just because the post has a 50A service doesn't mean that it doesn't also have a 30A and a 20A connectiuon, as well. And if it ONLY has 50A, then the office likely has adaptors for loan, rent, or sale.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #3

You should be able to use an adaptor and be fine. Even though the pedestal has 50 amps available, your unit should have a breaker that will not allow it to use more than 30 +/- in order to prevent overloading the wiring and other systems. Just don't try to go crazy and use everything in your unit at one time and you should not have a problem with the breaker tripping.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

Go ahead, hook it up!

I love hooking up to a 50 Amp breaker! It just means it will be that much harder to trip the breaker, it is like having a deeper well of electricity to draw from. Your unit will only draw as much as it is going to draw. Doesn't matter if it is connected to a 30, a fifty or a million amp breaker. The only problem I can foresee would involve connecting your unit to a service that is LESS than 30 amps.
As far as a 50 amp service goes, If something were to go wrong with your unit, the breakers inside the unit should trip and no damage should occur but I suppose there are always exceptions and the good tech saavy people of the mighty Forest River forum will correct me if I am wrong! Happy Camping and I am happy to hook up to any campground service that has 30 amps or more!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
No issues, but don't buy anything until you get there. Just because the post has a 50A service doesn't mean that it doesn't also have a 30A and a 20A connectiuon, as well. And if it ONLY has 50A, then the office likely has adaptors for loan, rent, or sale.
I've bolded the parts that to me seem to be contradictory. On a recent trip to the States I grabbed an adapter at Walmart for $15; and put it into the storage of my trailer. For me that means I never have to worry about paying a higher price at some campsite.

I agree most campsites have 30 and 20 amp available as well; but I have seen one place that only had 50 amp. Their adapter wasn't as good as the Walmart one I bought, and they wanted $50 for it.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #6

I keep a 50 - 30 amp on hand in case the provided 30amp service outlet is worn out. Usually the 50 amp outlet will be in better shape. In4 years I've done it 4 times. The 30 amp outlets get more wear and are occasionally in bad condition. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

The only caveat I have regarding 50 amp to 30 amp adapters has to do with 30 amp extension cords. Since you have a voltage drop over a long run of extension cord, when using the microwave and air conditioner at the same time it is possible to overload the CORD without tripping the campers breaker.

The 50 amp service will allow up to 50 amps to leave the service; the power centers breaker won't trip until IT sees more than 30 amps. A long 30 amp extension cord (I have used 100 feet but watch my load) will get quite hot before you hit 30 amps at the camper.

Just sayin'

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp