Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
MMCM/SS

3008W & 2618W Owners Need to Read this

I have a 2015 Windjammer model 2618W, the frig on my unit is located in the same place as on the 3008W. As far as I know only these two units have the frig on the left front just behind the V-nose. I like a cold adult beverage soon after we get set up, and I discovered the drink of my choice did not have the mountains turn blue until we were in the campground a few hours. The frig was not as cold as it should have been when we got to the campground. After a couple of hours parked all was fine.
Next time we went camping I had a inside/outside thermometer ( two piece unit), the outside unit in the frig and the inside unit in my truck. I always turn the frig on a full day before we depart so the temp inside my frig was 38F on the inside/outside thermometer. Once on the road at highway speed the temp keep going up inside the frig. I stopped after about an hours travel to check the frig to see if I could hear the propane at the outside vent cover, it sounded normal. When we got to the campground the temp in the frig was over 52f. Again after a couple of hours, the temp was correct and all was fine. The problem is the wind is blowing out the propane flame on the frig heater. The DSI re-lights it and the wind blows it out again. The DSI on the frig is not the same as on the Hot Water Heater, the DSI will try to light the Frig on propane for 30-45 seconds, and if it don't light you will get a fault light on the frig. I didn't get any fault lights, and of course when I stopped equaled no wind, so the frig on propane sounded normal. It could be the design of the V-Nose with the frig up front, I don't know. I do know that the frig was not cooling going down the highway at 60mph. I called Forest River but did not get any help, I called Dometic and after several phone transfers finally got to the right guy. He sent a unit to my dealer (camping World) at no cost that put a extra piece of metal around the burner unit (to block the wind-flow) and the problem has been solved. I know I am not the only one with this problem, if you run the frig on propane going down the road, I bet your frig DSI is working overtime trying to keep the flame going. Put a thermometer in your frig and check it out. If you like luke warm beer it don't matter.
Tooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #2

Any Apex 189 owners might have the same issue. I had it with ours and Dometic sent the mod kit to block the wind. Free of charge and corrected the problem.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for sharing the fix to this. It will probably help many members.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #4

Tooters could you either post name and number of who you talked to at Dometic with the part number or pm me please.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #5

Tooters,can you post a Pic.of the metal piece they installed in your refer? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
MMCM/SS

Dometic Air Foil Kit

The kit that Dometic sent to my dealer (Camping World) for me was the Dometic Air Foil Kit 3108039.003 for Dometic 6 & 8 cu. ft. Caravan Refrigerators in Truck Campers. I only installed the Burner Shield part number 3108069.000 The kit also had Baffles that you could install in the plastic outside cover to reduce air flow, but you need to take them off if you stop overnight, they think you might not have enough air to pass over the cooling unit if you are stationary. Even though this kit was made for truck campers, the Burner Shield fit on my 6 cu. ft. standard frig that came in my 2015 Windjammer model 2618W. The Burner Shield is installed with self drilling screws, and you don't take it off unless you were working on the frig. After I installed the Burner Shield, my frig temp operating on propane at highway speeds has been fine. I did not install the Vent Baffles because all I needed was the Burner Shield. Its not hard to install, but Dometic would not ship it to me, only to my dealer. Again this was a no cost item.
Tooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #7

When I had the issue with my previous Apex they sent the kit directly to me. Maybe they have changed their policy as that was about a year and a half ago.

I also did not install the baffles on the vents. I did a test run to ensure all was working fine and did not need to use them.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #8

Thank You so much for posting this information!
Texas LT and LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #9

I have the same problem with my 2014 2618. My solution is to put all the refrigerator items into a cooler with ice. Then, after we set up with the park electricity, we enjoy a cool beverage from the cooler until the refrigerator gets cold. I put the cooler in the front of the TT which has a side benefit of helping to ensure I have the proper weight over the hitch. But, I think I will contact Dometic about the Buner Shield. good suggestion.
TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 HD Allison/Duramax Diesel 4WD
TT - 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618
Texbahrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #10

Tooters:

I just went down to my dealer and ordered this fix. I appreciate you taking time to post the information. I'll toast you next time I pull for 8 hours and then pop open a cold one.

Kevin
Old 03-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #11

Who did you guys talk to at Dometic to get this resolved, I went through their online customer service and have gotten nowhere.

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil564 View Post
Who did you guys talk to at Dometic to get this resolved, I went through their online customer service and have gotten nowhere.
As for me I didn't talk to anyone at Dometic. I printed off the pertinent information from Tooters posts and took it to my dealer. He contacted Dometic and got the parts from them. No charge for the parts but i did have to pay for labor.

Tags
3008w