Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

4 SEASON TT's ?

I'm wondering how close my Windjammer 3025w is to be considered a 4 season Trailer. Going to be fulltime in less than 2 weeks. My 3025w does have heated tanks, and from what I gather lots of foam insulation. I don't really want to be in the cold climate, but you never know where you might end up.
Jammer3025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
WFD

Has been many a post on this subject here....consensus seems to be there really is no such thing as a true "4" season TT or 5th...too much air space underneath, too little insulation in those thin walls...not enough to protect your water coming out and your holding tank outlets...now having said that....there is a huge difference between staying south or venturing up to MN. In some areas you could get away with skirting the trailer and insulating the water and drain pipes. These trailers are just not built for true winter...unless your idea of winter is the likes of AZ, CA, FL, TX...
Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

I have had 3 travel trailers and now I have a 2013 5th wheel. The 5th wheel has a sticker advertising that it is a 4-season camper and it dose have extra insulation and all of that stuff, but it is still a mobile unit with 3 slide outs with only rubber seals around them. There are too many air leaks in any camper, not only the windows and doors but you have cold air around all 4 sides of the camper, the roof and under the camper. Remember there pipes coming out from the bottom and they had to come out of the underbelly and let's face it quality is hard to find these days. No one will make sure that your camper some what air tight.
I have been camping since 2000 and I have found that once it gets down to 45 degrees at night that is the cut off, I go in the house or a warmer climate.
If you are going to full time and you live in the north then head south like everyone else.
Campers are temporary housing and I have talk to some campers that are full timing and they tell me the best thing to do is stay where it is warm, you will find that warmer weather is easer to handle and it is easer on your camper.
Remember, salesman will tell you anything to get you to spend your money.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #4

Ok, thanks for the response. I don't plan on going where it's cold. That's one of the reasons were going, and that is to follow the sun or warmer wx. Just wondering how these things will do if by chance it does get down in the 40 deg F area. I can see now that like you was saying about the rubber seals and lightweight pvc piping how the wx could be a problem.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

We camp year-round and, in Virginia, that means temps in the 30s are possible. You'll be fine as long as you don't have prolonged, sub-freezing weather. We routinely handle trips where the overnight temps briefly drop below freezing. As long as the daytime temps climb into the 40s, there's no problem.
We always have electrical hook ups in the winter and load our fresh water tank on arrival in case we have to unhook and drain the water hose at night. I did a mod and have a 100W trouble light in my water pump/filter bay.
We carry two electric space heaters and I run a separate power cord to the 115A recepticle on the power pole to operate one of them. Having a "paid for" heat supply allows you to crack roof vents to allow moisture (your biggest enemy) to escape.
We escaped to Florida last January during that bad cold snap. It was 30 degrees warmer in St. Augustine than it was in Richmond. Problem was - it was 9 in Richmond so it was 38 outside my trailer.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #6

^^^ good to know.