Originally Posted by Camper John
As a park owner I want to caution RV owners about using these splitters to connect 50AMP units to 30AMP site electric. I get told all the time that if a problem exists it has to be in the park system. I have 2 examples of why this is not always the case. 1 is the buzz bar we have one the office counter with the notice that NO adapters are permitted. The other are photos of the 40' HR MH that burned to the ground 2 years ago. After the insurance company and the State Fire Marshall investigated both concluded that the fire was caused by an overload of coach shore power system. I hear too many time that the park is "just trying to gouge campers by charging extra for 50AMP" and that is why campers use these magical adapters. Personally I won't risk losing my 5'r over a $5 @ day upcharge for 50AMP.
Which are you speaking about?
- the 50amp to 30+20 adapters that plug into BOTH the 30amp and the 20amp with the expectation that the power stand will provide 50amps? The don't work on GFI receptacles I believe.
- the dogbones that simply feed the parks 30amp into one leg of the 50amp?
I can't see how one can travel without a dogbone. I use one but restrict my trailer usage to stay under (i.e. only use one of these at a time -A/C -Microwave -hairdryer). Any two, including using 2 A/C's will go over and pop the breaker. But if you are diligent, it lets us 50ampers stay in parks that do not offer 50.