Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
What most don't realize is with a 50 amp connection you actually have 100 total amps available. If you use a 30 to 50 adapter you will have only 30 total amps split between two 50 amp connections. If you use the adapter that has the 30 and 15 amp connections you will get 45 total amps only if the campground has not just pulled the 15 amp breaker connection at the ped off of the 30 amp circuit feed. Most campgrounds will power multiple sites from one common feed so the 45 amp will work if all campers at the site is not pulling maximum current.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
If you only have a 30 amp camper a 50 amp site would be pointless i believe. I have my first 50 amp unit on order and am used to 30 amp rv's. Must spots I camp only have 30 amp service so I will be going the other way and hoping it is never hot enough to need both air's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I believe if you have a 50 to 30 amp adapter, you will get 30 amps from ONE of the two 50 amp circuits. Since your 30 amp is only a single circuit, it cannot be set up to split between the two 50 amp circuits, or you would be "shorting them together."

Most adapters use one side or the other of the 50 amp circuits; although I believe someone makes one that allows you to chose which one you use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
With a 50 (male) to 30 (female) you will get 50 amps to the single RV 30 amp buss. As said a 30 (male) to 50 (female) will get you 30 amps (total) to both 50 amp RV busses.
I think we're in violent agreement here, if you're intent was to make everything clearer with the male/female. The original quote was "50 to 30" which at least to me (not owning a 50 amp TT) means 50 at the pedestal and 30 at the camper (i.e., 50 male, 30 female), especially given that the original post related to plugging into the 50 amp outlet at the pedestal. So I stand by my statement that 50 to 30 doesn't split the 50 amp circuits.

30 to 50 will connect both of the TT's 50 amp circuits to the same 30 amp supply, and will be limited to 30 amps total (by the pedestal's 30 amp breaker).

WMTire's post #14 explains all this the best.

But adding male/female certainly makes it very clear which direction you're talking about..

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #22

A 50 amp pedestal to 30 amp camper dogbone simply passes on ONE leg of the 50 amp service.

A 30 amp pedestal to 50 amp camper dogbone takes the one leg of 30 amp (only one leg available) and connects it to both legs of the 50 amp end of the dogbone. This means there is 30 amp available across both legs in the 50 amp camper. Those 30 amps can be used all on one leg or shared across both. This would simply occur naturally based on what you are running at any given time. Total across both legs cannot exceed 30 amps though.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #23

The big advantage to a 50A plug with 2 30A pigtails is you can have a choice of which leg in the system you draw power from.

Depending on the campground if many 20A and 30A users are on the SAME line , the second 120V is frequently left for the coaches with 240V and air cond.

Using the circuit with the least users will give the highest voltage , a big help to your air cond unit.

The 50A to 2 30A can be home made keeping the price reasonable.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I think we're in violent agreement here, if you're intent was to make everything clearer with the male/female. The original quote was "50 to 30" which at least to me (not owning a 50 amp TT) means 50 at the pedestal and 30 at the camper (i.e., 50 male, 30 female), especially given that the original post related to plugging into the 50 amp outlet at the pedestal. So I stand by my statement that 50 to 30 doesn't split the 50 amp circuits.

30 to 50 will connect both of the TT's 50 amp circuits to the same 30 amp supply, and will be limited to 30 amps total (by the pedestal's 30 amp breaker).

WMTire's post #14 explains all this the best.

But adding male/female certainly makes it very clear which direction you're talking about..
Yes, but you also said that there would be 30 amps with a 50/30 amp adapter when in fact there will be 50 amps to the rv. Just clarifying for the op. The rv's 30 amp breaker should protect the rv but if it fails then 50 amps from the pedestal could possibly destroy something before it opens. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Yes, but you also said that there would be 30 amps with a 50/30 amp adapter when in fact there will be 50 amps to the rv. Just clarifying for the op. The rv's 30 amp breaker should protect the rv but if it fails then 50 amps from the pedestal could possibly destroy something before it opens. I'm done.

True, when plugging in a 30 amp rig in a 50 amp pedestal there will be 50 amps available up to the 30 amp breaker in the camper. However that 30 amp breaker will limit the current draw to 30 amps throughout the connection.

If you are concerned about that 30 amp breaker failing in a way that it locks closed and does not limit the current... yes, I guess that could happen. Chances are pretty slim for that type of failure though. In that situation, you would still have to draw more than 30 amps to get in the danger area. Although the cord is rated for 30 amps, it would take much more than that CONTINUOUSLY to get dangerous. If there was a dead-short, the 50 on the pedestal would trip before any damage occurred. Just trying to lay out the realities. Odds are this is all just a non-issue. Campers have been plugging their 30 amp rigs into 50 amp pedestals since... well, since 50 amp pedestals.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, service