Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

Thumbs down 5th Wheel Hitch Adjustment

I just changed my tow vehicle to a Chev Silverado 2500 HD from a 1500. The 2500 bed is approximately 6 inches higher than the 1500. I have a Reese 5er hitch that can be adjusted to lower the hitch close to 4 inches. I don't have much experience with this, but it makes sense to me that if I raise the platform the hitch sits on 6 inches, lowering the hitch is the right thing to do. I can't find any information that addresses this specifically and would appreciate any insight anyone has. My Rockwood Signature Ultra Light has a Reese Revolution Hitch.
bross54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

your thinking right. Just need to make sure you have enough bed rail clearance if you lower the hitch that much
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross54 View Post
I just changed my tow vehicle to a Chev Silverado 2500 HD from a 1500. The 2500 bed is approximately 6 inches higher than the 1500. I have a Reese 5er hitch that can be adjusted to lower the hitch close to 4 inches. I don't have much experience with this, but it makes sense to me that if I raise the platform the hitch sits on 6 inches, lowering the hitch is the right thing to do. I can't find any information that addresses this specifically and would appreciate any insight anyone has. My Rockwood Signature Ultra Light has a Reese Revolution Hitch.
Had similar thing... put a Superglide hitch in, was 5" taller than one I took out. To keep trailer as close to level as possible, Ihad to raise pin box UP as far as I could and still needed 3", The Dodge of mine had 5" factory blocks on top of rear axle (4x4), so I pulled those out and made some 3" heavy wall square tubing blocks. As trailer was sitting with a 5" front to back angle, whatever you take out at the pin height will only take half that.....3" at front down at front will only be 1 and 1/2 up at rear. But buy lowering the tv back end, the front of tv needed a little love. So I made a couple of spring clamps for front coils to see how much it would take to level out, before I ordered any springs. Well, 1and1/4 was all it took, so I'm going to give the clamps a few days to see how they survive. Lot of monkey motion but it worked. Didn't want to raise trailer.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
... So I made a couple of spring clamps for front coils to see how much it would take to level out, before I ordered any springs. Well, 1and1/4 was all it took, so I'm going to give the clamps a few days to see how they survive. Lot of monkey motion but it worked. Didn't want to raise trailer.
Just heat the coils that you clamped and save the weight! Or remove the coils and cut a coil off the bottom and save even more wt. You need all the help you can get driving a reject goat.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just heat the coils that you clamped and save the weight! Or remove the coils and cut a coil off the bottom and save even more wt. You need all the help you can get driving a reject goat.
That's what I'm going to do as soon as my kid gets my bottles refilled.........Didn't want to post that as the engineer crowd would tell me about changing the molecular structure of what-ever. Whats that you're standing next to in your profile!!! THE SANTA-MARIA?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross54 View Post
welcome to the boards. i had one customer who got a new truck. when he figured the heigth was wrong, he just went back to the dealer and the dealer changed it for him for free. otherwise your at the mercy of coot n caldwell. you might get a little ribben or occasionally split a rib, get your thread jacked at the least...lol i like at least a 6" gap between the bed rail and the trailer. running a few inches high in the front isnt a huge deal as long as your not running torqflex axles. if you do end up lowering the truck, check back and let them know, so they can fill you in on the other particulars of possible pinion angle change ect...so you only modify once.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #7

OK, this might be more complicated than I had thought it would be. Thanks!
bross54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That's what I'm going to do as soon as my kid gets my bottles refilled.........Didn't want to post that as the engineer crowd would tell me about changing the molecular structure of what-ever. Whats that you're standing next to in your profile!!! THE SANTA-MARIA?
Yes, but the old girl sprung a leak and sunk in Carlisle, AR. (Sold it when we moved to NC)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #9

Bed rail clearance should be 6-8" and 8-10" for off road use. There are quite a few posters that go 8" because they have had touching incidents with some reports of damage at 6 " or less. Some campsites require that you cross a crest or two to back into the site. This can really twist things to the limit especially if you have a side pivoting hitch. Your trailer height might be a factor as to how level it will tow. If the trailer is too low, the axles may have to be adjusted.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Do I hear a challenge? What the result of lowering tv was giving alot more bed rail clearance and getting rid of the extreme tire to body clearance..... getting closer to the look of a 2wh'lr Ie: chebby 1500. Also, even with factory running boards the knees will thank me!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Do I hear a challenge? What the result of lowering tv was giving alot more bed rail clearance and getting rid of the extreme tire to body clearance..... getting closer to the look of a 2wh'lr Ie: chebby 1500. Also, even with factory running boards the knees will thank me!
Not from me, I just lowered the rear end on mine.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
Bed rail clearance should be 6-8" and 8-10" for off road use. There are quite a few posters that go 8" because they have had touching incidents with some reports of damage at 6 " or less. Some campsites require that you cross a crest or two to back into the site. This can really twist things to the limit especially if you have a side pivoting hitch. Your trailer height might be a factor as to how level it will tow. If the trailer is too low, the axles may have to be adjusted.
truly a better answer...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #13

I think this applies....I bought a Ram 2500 HD and its higher in the back. The trailer was so high iin front it was going to kill the rear set of tires on the trailer, so I lowerd the 5ve hitch. Now the clearence is not enough for comfort in the bed. I have not done this yet but here is the plan....I have got under trailer and got the name of the Axels, serial numbers and dates. I called Rockwood with this information. They sugested a lift kit for the Axels and will send them by courier. I then need someone to install. it seemd easy enough Blocks an bolts. Then I can raise the hitch back up for comfort level. I need to find my emails and get this ordered. I cannot remember the cost.
Mike101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike101 View Post
I think this applies....I bought a Ram 2500 HD and its higher in the back. The trailer was so high iin front it was going to kill the rear set of tires on the trailer, so I lowerd the 5ve hitch. Now the clearence is not enough for comfort in the bed. I have not done this yet but here is the plan....I have got under trailer and got the name of the Axels, serial numbers and dates. I called Rockwood with this information. They sugested a lift kit for the Axels and will send them by courier. I then need someone to install. it seemd easy enough Blocks an bolts. Then I can raise the hitch back up for comfort level. I need to find my emails and get this ordered. I cannot remember the cost.
With my trailer having tork-flex type axles, the mounting is already marginal and, for me, It's a pia to round up enough support to hold it up. Personally, I can't, and won't pay someone else, to do what I can do myself. For safety sake with a slight driveway tilt, would need to hook up to tv, and would be out in street some and I like my truck. Lowering truck was the less of two evils.

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel