Old 06-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

5th wheel hitch with turning point

Hey does anyone recommend a good 5th wheel hitch. Just purchased a new 2020 Rockwood 2888WS it has the turning point king pin. Towing with my 2013 F250 Lariet 4x4 Diesel. This is my first 5th wheel although I have been towing bumper hitch trailers since the 70ís. The turning point uses the wedge system. I like the Demco Recon but apparently it does not work with the wedge. Iím in my 60ís so lighter is better. Thanks for your feed back.

Lbbike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #2

I use the Andersen Ultimate 5th connection. It is light, connects to your gooseball. I hear the Reese Gooseneck adapter which replaces your factory fith wheel king pin works perfectly. No need for a hitch in your truck just a goose ball. Check out You Tube BigRv Big Truck posting.

Rivasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

For the Turning Point, same principle as Sidewinder and Revolution, just buy a simple, standard fifth wheel hitch. Usually around 100# but comes apart into two easy to manage pieces (base and head). Cheap also. Be sure to buy the correct wedge for the hitch if there is one.
Or you can buy any number of hitches, but weight and price increases with complexity and features.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #4

I have B&W Patriot 18K with my Rockwood 2898KS .... my pin is unlocked to take advantage of the Turning Point ... if you go with Andersen you cannot unlock the pin and move pivot point back 22 inches. B&W make good hitch. Edit... Patriot is a 2 piece hitch ... I am old and I can remove it. https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/patriot-18k
Frank & Cindy ... Rockwood 2888WS Ultra Lite 5th Wheel---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage camp pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Goodyear Endurance ... Predator 3500---48 days 2019---Payload 4394
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

With the Andersen you can have a 8" setback so no need unlock. Plus no chucking and trailer can go side to side. I pull a Big country 3560ss GVWR 16,000 pin weight 3k.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:29 PM   #6

Do check out the Reese 2nd Gen Goose box adapter. All the weight is attached to your rig.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivasiuk View Post
With the Andersen you can have a 8" setback so no need unlock. Plus no chucking and trailer can go side to side. I pull a Big country 3560ss GVWR 16,000 pin weight 3k.
I haven't seen any standard type fifth wheel hitch that wasn't fully articulated in a very long time. So a standard hitch allows side to side angles as well as front to back.
If your main goal is weight reduction, then Anderson is the ticket, otherwise I don't see any other real advantages in that option.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #8

Love my Andersen also and have no clearance issues. No need to climb in the bed and pull any lever, it's cable operated and mounts on the pin box. Plus it's so light I hang it on the wall when not in use. I had a Husky slider before it which was a heavy, chucking pain in the butt.......er, back to wrestle in and out of the truck. I am also in my 60's and no more heavy iron hitches for me. Give Andersen a call if to make sure it works with your Turning Point. They have great customer service.

Try this with an iron hitch...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivasiuk View Post
Do check out the Reese 2nd Gen Goose box adapter. All the weight is attached to your rig.
Another good hitch but cannot unlock the Turning Point with any goose box connection .... My opinion moving the pivot point back is just a terrific feature ... camper tracks better a zero worries of coming in contact with cab ... I would have bought the Andersen just did not want to lose that feature ... Thanks Frank
Frank & Cindy ... Rockwood 2888WS Ultra Lite 5th Wheel---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage camp pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Goodyear Endurance ... Predator 3500---48 days 2019---Payload 4394
Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #10

SeventyGTX, can you please provide more details on a couple things?

Which version of the Husky did you have?

With the Anderson, I always envisioned needing to be in the bed, hunched over, with a torque wrench, wrenching down a couple bolts before departing and unwrenching them prior to disconnection. Is that not the case?
Skip12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As NMWildcat said, with the Turning Point, Revolution or Sidewinder, just buy any basic 5th wheel hitch and get a custom fit wedge for it.

The rearward pivot eliminates any need for a slider and while the Andersen lovers here tell will tell you there's nothing better, there are certainly other options, especially with a Turning Point/Revolution style.

I have a basic Reese slider that I've never slid while having it in three different short bed trucks.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=14
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
SeventyGTX, can you please provide more details on a couple things?

Which version of the Husky did you have?

With the Anderson, I always envisioned needing to be in the bed, hunched over, with a torque wrench, wrenching down a couple bolts before departing and unwrenching them prior to disconnection. Is that not the case?
Boy, I can't remember the model of Husky I had. But it mounted on the rails of my previous Ram. I bought it used and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I bought it just to go pick up our fiver in Oregon, so only used it once and sold it and got the first Andersen.

As far as disconnecting the Andersen from the fiver, you simply twist and pull a cable mounted by the pin box. Raise your fiver a few inches and pull away. Reverse for connecting.

Installing and removing the Andersen from the truck, is really no big deal torqueing down 3 bolts, two at 40lbs and one at 60lbs. It probably takes 5 minutes to torque the bolts down. The weight savings alone makes it well worth it though. But I only take it in and out a couple times a year and don't even think about it. It is out during the off season, and in during. I did install an Amp Bedstep that makes getting in and out of the bed much easier.

My first Andersen was a steel rail version which was smaller and similar in weight to the aluminum Ultimate I have now. It was super simple to install with just four pins. I miss it in a lot of ways, but don't miss having those rails in the bed. Plus it always had some clicking noise, I assume from the pins as the one I have now does not do it. Hope this helps. I added a picture of where I mounted the release cable, so no need to get in the truck when you are disconnecting....

Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
As NMWildcat said, with the Turning Point, Revolution or Sidewinder, just buy any basic 5th wheel hitch and get a custom fit wedge for it.

The rearward pivot eliminates any need for a slider and while the Andersen lovers here tell will tell you there's nothing better, there are certainly other options, especially with a Turning Point/Revolution style.

I have a basic Reese slider that I've never slid while having it in three different short bed trucks.
The OP did say....."lighter is better". Can't get much lighter than an Andersen.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

X2 ..... with no Turning Point/Revolution king pin I would have a Andersen
Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
The OP did say....."lighter is better". Can't get much lighter than an Andersen.
They also said they have a Turning Point.
You can't use the Turning Point function with an Andersen. You have to lock the pin box and that defeats its purpose.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=14
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #16

Here is a copy of the owners manual for the Turning Point Pin Box. It will answer most of your questions.

On Page #6 it shows the wedge that is supplied with the unit. It is described as a "Universal" wedge because it fits several different Fifth Wheel hitches.

That wedge and its correct installation is a HIGHLY critical part of that unit. Installed incorrectly or on the wrong Fifth Wheel could be potentially catastrophic.

I would suggest you look at the wedge, determine which hitches it fits and make your selection of a Fifth Wheel based on what you know the wedge will fit.

We have the very similar Reese Revolution and absolutely LOVE IT!!
Old 06-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Here is a copy of the owners manual for the Turning Point Pin Box. It will answer most of your questions.

On Page #6 it shows the wedge that is supplied with the unit. It is described as a "Universal" wedge because it fits several different Fifth Wheel hitches.

That wedge and its correct installation is a HIGHLY critical part of that unit. Installed incorrectly or on the wrong Fifth Wheel could be potentially catastrophic.

I would suggest you look at the wedge, determine which hitches it fits and make your selection of a Fifth Wheel based on what you know the wedge will fit.

We have the very similar Reese Revolution and absolutely LOVE IT!!
They also make custom wedges for the Turning Point. This article says the custom wedges for the Sidewinder and Revolution will also fit. https://www.etrailer.com/question-321170.html
Old 06-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #18

Here's what I have and other options considered.
I installed a B&W Turnoverball hitch in my short box 2017 Ram 3500.
I replaced the 5th wheel king pin box with a Reese 20K gooseneck pin box on our 2018 Coachman 370FL.
The Coachman 370FL has 90 deg. turn designed into its nose.
Pros:
Less chucking,
Air bag on pin box gives a smooth ride,
Only need to flip the ball to have a full box when needed.
Cons:
Need to be very close on alignment with the pin box to set it on the ball (had to install cameras in the box to do so),
With the long low angle of the pin box cannot put much in the area from ball to tailgate and less beside the ball (will get crushed when turning),
Needed to install towing chains (required for goosenecks...in my area).

With this set up I carry a generator, toolbox, 2 - 20L Diesel fuel cans, 2.5L gas can for generator at the front and a large bag of leveling blocks at the back (do a lot of boon docking). I use cargo bars to keep items from going into the pin box swing area.
I have a Cap-it F-Type Tonneau cover and travel with the front section down so I can see out the back window.
My second option was what SeventyGTX has.
A few friends have the rail type Anderson hitches with great reviews.
The Anderson pin box adapter also has a little more forgiveness on alignment.
My third option if I stayed with a king pin was a Reese Revolution.
One of our travel buddies has the Reese Revolution. He has a short box GMC 2500 and has made U turns where I could not.
Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #19
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbbike24 View Post
Hey does anyone recommend a good 5th wheel hitch. Just purchased a new 2020 Rockwood 2888WS it has the turning point king pin. Towing with my 2013 F250 Lariet 4x4 Diesel. This is my first 5th wheel although I have been towing bumper hitch trailers since the 70ís. The turning point uses the wedge system. I like the Demco Recon but apparently it does not work with the wedge. Iím in my 60ís so lighter is better. Thanks for your feed back.
If you want to use the Turning Point pinbox to its best advantage, you cannot use the Andersen Ultimate or any other hitch that connects to a gooseneck ball like the regular B&W Companion. Youíll need a standard hitch that connects to standard bed rails. The only alternative would be to have the Ford puck system installed but thatís a lot of expense. I would only consider that if you really donít want to have bed rails.

My Rockwood 5er has a Reese Revolution pinbox and, like Frank4711, I use a B&W Patriot 18K hitch on standard bed rails and a custom wedge for the Patriot. I do get some chucking on rough roads though.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbbike24 View Post

I had really good luck with the B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch and if we get another f/w that will be my choice. Easiest to hookup and unhook Iíve ever seen.

Prunyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel