Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

5th Wheel Tracks Slightly Sideways

Hello! I have a 2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty that I use to haul a 2012 Forest River Rockwood UltraLight 30' RV. The 5th wheel has a Reese Revolution (Sidewinder) pin box with wedge. I use a Reese 20K Elite 5th wheel hitch. When driving, the Revolution pin box pivots correctly but at times after making a turn, I notice the 5th wheel is tracking at a slight angle rather than straight back from the truck. In other words the pin box does not return to being fully straight. I have checked and double checked to be sure the wedge is installed correctly and to the correct torque on the attachment bolts.

Has anyone experienced this with a Reese Revolution or Sidewinder pin box? Is this something I should be concerned about, and if so, is there a fix?

Thanks in advance for feedback.

LakerMan
LakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #2

I have noticed that on very curvy mountain roads (mainly downhills) at slow speeds, that the sidewinder may not return to exact dead center immediately on short straight aways. But it's not enough for me to think the fiver is not tracking straight. As soon as I get on a longer straight section and can accelerate it positions to where I think it should be. I always attributed it to the very slight play you have to have in the wedge.

But after thinking about it, after I re-greased the turret and base bearings this spring, I haven't noticed it doing that anymore. Doesn't mean it isn't still happening, it's just not enough to catch my eye in the mirror.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree with NMWildcat... grease the pin box where it pivots, it's sticking.

It isn't an easy job and there's been lots of prior discussion here whether lubing is necessary or recommended but I say if it pivots, it needs to do so without binding.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

I have heard that the revolutions seem to be a much tighter turret fit, so getting the turret to slide down can be a chore.

Greasing my sidewinder is about a half hour, one man job. I back a truck under the sidewinder, placing a small floor jack under the turret. With the base of the sidewinder supported on the jack I remove the top turret bolts. Then I lower the jack and the hitch comes down with it. I use Red-n-Sticky grease on the turret and base bearings. Then I just jack it back into place and torque the top bolts.

Good luck, and I hope it helps.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #5

Oh... I actually use Red-n-Tacky grease by Lucas......
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

While I am no mechanic, if that were a situation of mine, I would have the trailer wheel alignment checked.
Robertpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #7

I agree w/Robertpaul. Factory assy folks get in too big a hurry sometimes and figure the custmer is prob not going to notice if the axle just a little bit off.
ishwashgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #8

Hi
I noticed that using the Reese Revolution I had the trailer not tracking straight as well. I got fed up with the problems of hooking up and unhooking the revolution how you had the be exactly on and level ground as well. I finally changed back to the regular hook up and that solved the problem. The revolution is great in theory but in my opinion they have to improve the engineering to make it easy to work.
Good luck
Wayne
wfwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Had a Revolution on my Rockwood. Great Hitch, worked just fine. No tracking issues. I have a sidewinder on my Heartland Bighorn and very happy with it as well. If the hitch is not straight check your wedge. I have a Reese wedge that works well and fits my Elite hitch. Like all things hitching up find the sweet spot that works. The Revolution is different from the Sidewinder.

OC Has made custom wedge for his Revolution and has no issues in fact has a full tonneau cover over the truck bed. Look him up he has gone better than factory.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #10

My first thought would be a problem with the trailer axles or suspension but I know nothing about the sidewinder.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:16 AM   #11

I have helped several folks in campgrounds who complained of having problems hitching their sidewinders/revolutions. One had the wrong wedge, and the rest had the wedge adjusted too tight to the hitch. Snug it up and then back it off 1/8". Also call manufacturer, and if they make a custom wedge for your hitch, use it! They will usually send it to you for free.

Do you have to be slightly more accurate lining up to hitch your sidewinder? Yes, but with a little practice, you will soon not even notice the difference.

I will always use a sidewinder with a SWB truck. Simple solution that eliminates worry of hitting the cab. I find sliders to be too heavy, take up too much room, and usually bind when you need them most.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
My first thought would be a problem with the trailer axles or suspension but I know nothing about the sidewinder.
If the trailer always tracked offset to the tow vehicle, then I might agree with you. But since the OP said it only happened occasionally after a turn, I'm assuming it only does it for a short period until he either gets up to speed or makes another turn.

So those of us that actually use these type hitches think he just needs to grease his turret and check torque on the turret bolt(s).

At least that is the place to start.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If it the trailer always tracked offset to the tow vehicle, then I might agree with you. But since the OP said it only happened occasionally after a turn, I'm assuming it only does it for a short period until he either gets up to speed or makes another turn.

So those of us that actually use these type hitches think he just needs to grease his turret and check torque on the turret bolt(s).

At least that is the place to start.
Thanks NMWildcat. I have a Cedar Creek on order and just purchased a Reese Elite Ford Custom hitch. First time fifth wheeler (although many miles in semis) so I have a lot to learn. I am sure I will be asking the questions soon.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #14

Hi Scott and Liz, thank you for your feedback. I will attempt to grease the turret to see if that helps. Others have said that over time after use it will loosen up where one could turn the king pin by hand. That is certainly not the case for my unit. Can't budge it even when banging on it with a sledge hammer and block of wood.

Leo
LakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpaul View Post
While I am no mechanic, if that were a situation of mine, I would have the trailer wheel alignment checked.
A huge +1 on checking the alignment. Not only will trailer track properly but tires will last longer. Tracking is affected by correct balance of toe-in/out. If each axle has it's wheels exactly parallel to the centerline of the trailer, or at least equal toe in/out to the centerline on each side, it will follow the tow vehicle.

Might have to find a truck shop that does trailer alignment but the effort (and cost) will pay dividends in better tracking, less rolling resistance, and improved tire life.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfwilson View Post
Hi
I noticed that using the Reese Revolution I had the trailer not tracking straight as well. I got fed up with the problems of hooking up and unhooking the revolution how you had the be exactly on and level ground as well. I finally changed back to the regular hook up and that solved the problem. The revolution is great in theory but in my opinion they have to improve the engineering to make it easy to work.
Good luck
Wayne
I did the same thing. My pinbox was really stiff when I took delivery. I had some occasional noise and found it was interfering with the trailer correcting when I was backing it up. I locked it up and haven't given it a second thought in 5 years (until now).
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, light, wheel