Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
Owner/Operator

Question 8244WS or 8288WS in Arizona?

I am considering purchasing a 8288WS in the first quarter of 2013. The 8244WS would be my second choice. Needless to say I've been all over the Specs and Options and available pictures with the wife, and she "likes" the 8288WS.

She is, however, adamant about seeing one of the Rockwoods before we purchase, hence this post.

I am located in Chino Valley, AZ, but could travel to just about anywhere in AZ (or Las Vegas / Southern CA) so that she could view a unit.

If there is anyone with one of these, would you please either reply here or PM me. Any help with this is appreciated.

I've got a 36' Weekend Warrior Wide Lite that I need to sell before purchasing, and the Christmas season is not the time to sell an RV.

Thanks

RodeoGeorge (wa3pnt)
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I used the dealer search function on the Forest River site for Rockwood dealers and found Galpin RV in Dewey, AZ and they have a new 2013 Rockwood 8288WS in stock. Have you tried there?

Here's a link... http://www.galpinrv.com/new_vehicle_...&submit=Search

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I used the dealer search function on the Forest River site for Rockwood dealers and found Galpin RV in Dewey, AZ and they have a new 2013 Rockwood 8288WS in stock. Have you tried there?

Here's a link... Current Inventory/Pre-Owned Inventory from Galpin Ford & RV

Dave
Just got back from Galpin (25 miles away). Unfortunately they have sold the 8288S that they had in stock. However, we did get to see several interior options, and much to my surprise the wife likes the exterior with the Diamond Option (every other RV with the exception of a London Aire have been white exteriors).

They did have two 8265WS and a 8260WS with various interiors so the wife was able to determine which interior decor and wood she desires.

Having had 6 5th wheels over the past 25 years, we're pretty comfortable in selecting a floor plan and options now that we've satisfied the structural and build quality questions.

We're in no hurry, so now the number crunching game will begin. Hopefully Galpin can make a local purchase affordable, realizing that overhead is an issue that will impact their price versus a wholesale purchase.

I do have one question that neither the dealer, nor the brochures can answer regarding the "minimal carpet" option. There is nothing that shows exactly what carpet is replaced by the Lino type flooring, so we do not know if that option also affects the carpet in the bedroom. Fortunately plenty of time to get an answer to that question.

I can see where I'll be spending quite a bit of time on this Forum, as I've already gleaned a wealth of information from the members.

RodeoGeorge (wa3pnt)
Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

I have minimum carpet on my Flagstaf 8528ckws which is the same as the Rockwood 8288WS. We have carpet in the bedroom and on both slides. everything else is linoleum. Love the floor plan but you should also consider the RW 8289WS or Flagstaff 8528IKWS.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I have minimum carpet on my Flagstaf 8528ckws which is the same as the Rockwood 8288WS. We have carpet in the bedroom and on both slides. everything else is linoleum. Love the floor plan but you should also consider the RW 8289WS or Flagstaff 8528IKWS.
I took a more detail look at the Flagstaff, and see it's almost a carbon copy of the Rockwood. The one option that is a must for our desert environment travel is the second A/C and 50 Amp Service. I did not find that offered on the Flagstaff.

The way you described the minimum carpet is the way I envisioned it being implemented. There is just nothing that actually shows that, like a floor plan for the minimum carpet.

Perhaps I need to re-gear my thinking about carpet, since I'm no longer literally coming into the RV from a livestock corral.

Again, thanks for your input.

RodeoGeorge (wa3pnt)
Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

The only difference in the Rockwood and Flagstaff is exterior decals and interior colours. They are built in the same factory. I read somewhere that they build Flagstaff one week and Rockwood the next week. You can spec either unit with the same options.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

As Terry has said, both the Rockwood and Flagstaff are made on the same line in Millersburg, IN. They're identical models other than decals and decor colors.

We also have minimum carpet...the the slide is carpeted in the main living area and in the bedroom. Here's a couple of photos of that option in our 8280WS.

I have since remove the carpet strip that was in front of the slide which looks better to me. I just put a 12 x 36" piece of carpeting on the floor at each end of the slide before I bring it in. There's some staple holes where the carpet was, but you'd have to get on your hands and knees to see them.

If you're ordering, it can be really difficult to determine what exactly is currently being built as they make changes, some major, some minor, wihtin the model year.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	22506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	22507  

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #8

You might consider the darker roof on the Diamond Package may be an issue in AZ heat. When we toured the factory in October, they mentioned the additional a/c unit as an option because of the darker roofing material.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Owner/Operator

Thanks Dave/Monica. I remember well using strips of the heavy plastic cut from a desk chair mat under the slide rollers in a Monico Medallion to prevent black marks on the carpet.

Ralphieadie, I intend to include the second A/C option. However, in going through the options available in both the RVW and RVD order forms, the second A/C with 50 Amp service is listed. I just found out that the option is not listed in the brochure I downloaded from the FR Site. Another issue to be resolved. Hopefully that option is available.

RodeoGeorge (wa3pnt)