Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #1

Smile 8280ws Entry Door Gas Strut Bracket

New Trailer rockwood 8280ws 1 day old and gas strut brackets are bent and stripped on top of door and trailer. My Question is ? Can someone tell me how to install a lower gas strut or closer on the bottom of the door or remove all gas struts and install a t bar holder on the outside that can function with the awning in and out ?

I was told that the lower gas strut on the door are much better and will not cause the problems the upper ones cause. If anyone knows where to order all the parts and what i would need to install one please let me know.

Thank You
bradcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

pm member dunnnc he may have an answer for you !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcomm View Post
New Trailer rockwood 8280ws 1 day old and gas strut brackets are bent and stripped on top of door and trailer. My Question is ? Can someone tell me how to install a lower gas strut or closer on the bottom of the door or remove all gas struts and install a t bar holder on the outside that can function with the awning in and out?...Thank You
I have a 12Flagstaff 8528 and had the same problem. I fixed it by moving the strut anchor toward the hinge 2" and bolted it thru the wall and then moved the door anchor 2" closer to the hinge and used 3/16" pop rivets to attach. The door has about 1"-1-1/2" clearance to the awning arm and works great. It kinda helps close the door and has not come loose in over 8 months of use. You can open and close the door with the awning out or have the door open and then run the awning out.

When we first got the camper, we absolutely hated the strut on the door, so I took it off for a couple of days until I modified the anchor points, now we love the way it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door anchor relocated.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	20804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relocated strut.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	20805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up relocated anchor on trailer.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	20806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Close up door anchor relocated.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	20807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Both anchors relocated.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	20808  

Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've not had a problem with the strut on our door in the 3 years we've camped in it. I'm wondering if they changed to strut one with higher pressure. Can someone check the number on their door strut. The part number on mine is C16-42764 which has a 13 lb force according to the Suspa site.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 8280ws, gas strut bracket