Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

8280ws Need ideas on outside wiring ?

I would like some ideas on how to get a cable to the outside of the trailer for a cell phone booster and a WiFi antenna setup.

would like to go from the inside TV cabinet to the outside ladder rack on back. Just don't know of a clean/neat way to get outside access.

Also would like to mount a wireless rear cam on rear ladder or bumper any ideas on where i can get 12 volt power from.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No problem wiring anything from the entertainment center to the exterior wall above the outside shower. Mount an outlet there and run cable to wherever you locate the antenna. Why does the outlet need to be by the rear ladder?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcomm View Post
I would like some ideas on how to get a cable to the outside of the trailer for a cell phone booster and a WiFi antenna setup.

would like to go from the inside TV cabinet to the outside ladder rack on back. Just don't know of a clean/neat way to get outside access.

Also would like to mount a wireless rear cam on rear ladder or bumper any ideas on where i can get 12 volt power from.

Thanks
Why not go vertically from TV cabinet and mount the WiFi and Cell phone booster on the roof, use plenty of gunk.

Depends how high your camera is to be mounted, but you could take power from the fridge and mount the camera right above the grill.

I think trying to pull all those cable thru the roof from TV cabinet to the rear wall could be possible thru the airco vents to the airco and if you look inside the airco there are tunnels through the insulation to what couls have been more vents at the rear, since there are no vents at the rear I blocked mine off to help in the cooling flow, but you could use these to get cables to the rear wall. the next bit might be tricky, but some good measuring and a pilot hole and coat hanger wire could get you to the airco vent. Just a thought.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

There is a vent on the back of my 8526RLWS that allows access to the interior of the camper. Maybe yours has something similar.

I made a mast of a 1 1/2 inch 8 foot tall dowel. (cut into 2 4 foot pieces and connected by a 12 inch section of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe and spring pins). To that I mounted a plate that has my WiFi antenna and cell booster antenna. I also put an eye bolt to hang a colorful windsock.

It is attached to the ladder rack by a flag mount so it can be raised and removed easily.

Currently the wires enter a rear window through a custom made portal that is also removable when not needed. I plan on doing something more permanent one day.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

Great ideas by everyone....This is such a great forum
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Here are some photos of the mast.
The photo of the plastic window insert shows the slot in the top to pass the wires inside. It works for me and I most likely will not do much more than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1840.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	21986   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1837.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	21987   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1836.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	21988   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1835.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	21989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1839.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	21990  

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

I have my WiFi antenna strapped to my TV antenna so when the antenna is cranked up both antenna's are vertical. I'm luckey in that my dinning table slide is right at the TV antenna mount area so I only have to run the WiFi antenna wire in thru the slide, and have the Wifi cable right at my table.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 8280ws