Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #21

Thanks for the info. Having read your earlier posts I was watching out of r the carpet issues. Our shakedown trip turned out pretty successful . We only had two problems(knock on wood) both of which I was able to fix at the campground.

We went to Anza Borrego desert which was prety cold (to us) at about 38 F at night and 85 F during the day. The first problem was with the heater ducts. the center duct in the living area was not putting out any air at all. I went into the front storage area on the ODS side and took down the wall piece there and sure enough one of the vent tubes was split in half. After cutting and reattaching every thig worked fine.

The second problem had to do with the TV. It would not detect any channels after scanning. I found a disconnected cable behind the TV. Reconnected this and eveything worked fine.

I took not of your incident with the table turning over on you. When we dir the PDI I noticed two holes in the floor just under the edge of the couch. When I asked the service guy said these were supposed to be hooks for securing the table during trapsport. So I had them install the hooks and provide straps. We now strap down the table and put a bunch of pillows betqween the table and the sides during movement.

Other than those two problems, everything worked well and we very much enjoyed the space and the movable table. It served as an extension of the kitchen counter when cooking, an eating area we could put anywhere we wanted, and with both sides down a general surface area for sitting anything you want. We moved the towel holder from behind the toilet to on the sliding door. This makes much more sense in our opinion. Still struggling with where to put the toilet paper holder though.

All in all we are VERY pleaswed with the unit. It is everything we envisioned and more, and it tows like a dream.

Next trip to Solvang, CA. for New Years.
gbpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #22

Sorry for the grammer and spelling errors, we just returned home.
gbpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #23
Site Team

Knew you'd love the tow. I also moved the towel holder to the door. Wife bought a small metal free standing toilet tissue holder and puts it in the corner between bathroom door and towel cabinet door. I wanted to mount the roller inside the cabinet so that it swung into the top of lower compartment. we'll see. Any trouble with television latch?

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #24

Grey tanks

Hi guys
Sounds like you are enjoying the 8282 for the most part. Question for you... Some on here have mentioned the small grey tank capacity on the 8282 as a "knockout" or reason to eliminate the 8282 and chose instead the 8280 or other.
Is the small capacity an issue. We are still heavily leaning towards the 8282 but the weight police and the grey tank issue has us concerned. We looked at the 8280 and could live with it ... Less pin weight, less total weight, double grey tank capacity of 8282.... But the opposing slides and the open seating area the tv and desk configuration draws us back to the 8282
Any thoughts?
2021 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #25
Site Team

French, I went from a wildcat 5er with 2-50 gal gray tanks to the 8282 with 1-38 gal gray. Had concerns. So far it has not been an issue. Just me and wife and we usually have hookups. I did buy (traded for) a portable tank just in case we dry camp for any length of time. Its sad the tanks are so small but so far we've managed ok. Really enjoy the big room with fireplace and TV facing the theater seating. Good surround sound too. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #26

Thanks for the quick reply Dave, we appreciate the heads up on the island and floor issues as well. Camping season is over here in Ontario. The temperature has not been above freezing in days. We are thinking of waiting for the winter rv shows in Toronto to see what kind of deal we can get on a 8282 WS. Are there any options or add ons you wish you had ordered now that you have experience with your rig? We have a firm price of 38k on a 2014 8282 diamond a local dealer has in stock. Camping season starts here in April so we are not in a hurry to purchase and then store a rig....Any other thoughts or suggestions are most appreciated
2021 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Knew you'd love the tow. I also moved the towel holder to the door. Wife bought a small metal free standing toilet tissue holder and puts it in the corner between bathroom door and towel cabinet door. I wanted to mount the roller inside the cabinet so that it swung into the top of lower compartment. we'll see. Any trouble with television latch?
We installed ours inside the cabinet on the door. Out of site and is right where you want it when you need it...

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Hi guys
Sounds like you are enjoying the 8282 for the most part. Question for you... Some on here have mentioned the small grey tank capacity on the 8282 as a "knockout" or reason to eliminate the 8282 and chose instead the 8280 or other.
Is the small capacity an issue. We are still heavily leaning towards the 8282 but the weight police and the grey tank issue has us concerned. We looked at the 8280 and could live with it ... Less pin weight, less total weight, double grey tank capacity of 8282.... But the opposing slides and the open seating area the tv and desk configuration draws us back to the 8282
Any thoughts?
It's a tough call, I know. I went through the exact same thing. The grey water tank was never an issue for me, as I will never dry camp. It was always about the weight.
In the end, I decided that the extra 138 lb. pin weight difference wasn't enough to deter me from choosing the floor plan I like best. Would the 8280 work; absolutely, it's a solid floor plan copied by almost every RV manufacturer.
The rolling table in the 8282 I could take or leave (it can be a nuisance and there is more than enough cabinet space in the kitchen) but the large living area is without question the most redeeming feature, and ultimately the reason we upgraded to it from the TT.
Good Luck with your purchase...

Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
We installed ours inside the cabinet on the door. Out of site and is right where you want it when you need it...
Hmmm this sounds like a great idea! DW and I have been puzzling over where to install the TP holder

As for a towel rack, we already had this over the door 3 tier towel rack we used in Germany (German bathrooms are floor to ceiling tile and landlords do NOT like you to mount things on the walls ) It works great and I have seen similar towel racks in Target & Wally World.

Shower Mod: we got a suction cup hook from Bed, Bath & Beyond - it actually has a "pump" in the center than maintains suction. Put that on the left side of the garden shower and got this very lightweight 3 teir plastic shower rack that holds all the soaps/stuff you need in the shower. All seems more than sturdy enough to leave in place when on the road (guess we will find out in time )

Does the 8282WS have the cool laundry chute feature in the bathroom cabinet? If so, there is a collapsable laundry bag with handles at Wally World that fits *perfectly* under the chute and is large/long enough to actually hold a basket full of towels/clothes! I attached a couple of clips to the floor under the chute and the laundry basket "handles" clip to these to secure the laundry bag to the chute.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Hmmm this sounds like a great idea! DW and I have been puzzling over where to install the TP holder

As for a towel rack, we already had this over the door 3 tier towel rack we used in Germany (German bathrooms are floor to ceiling tile and landlords do NOT like you to mount things on the walls ) It works great and I have seen similar towel racks in Target & Wally World.

Shower Mod: we got a suction cup hook from Bed, Bath & Beyond - it actually has a "pump" in the center than maintains suction. Put that on the left side of the garden shower and got this very lightweight 3 teir plastic shower rack that holds all the soaps/stuff you need in the shower. All seems more than sturdy enough to leave in place when on the road (guess we will find out in time )

Does the 8282WS have the cool laundry chute feature in the bathroom cabinet? If so, there is a collapsable laundry bag with handles at Wally World that fits *perfectly* under the chute and is large/long enough to actually hold a basket full of towels/clothes! I attached a couple of clips to the floor under the chute and the laundry basket "handles" clip to these to secure the laundry bag to the chute.
Yes we use the chute all the time. I'll have to look for that next trip to Wally World.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
Yes we use the chute all the time. I'll have to look for that next trip to Wally World.
We found it in the kitchen/bath area in Wally World. It is blue & white and is spring-collapsable (similar to the spring sun shades you use to shade the windshield in your truck)
Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #32
Mod free 5er

We mounted the tp holder to the side of the shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet Paper Holder.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	43196  
Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Dave, we appreciate the heads up on the island and floor issues as well. Camping season is over here in Ontario. The temperature has not been above freezing in days. We are thinking of waiting for the winter rv shows in Toronto to see what kind of deal we can get on a 8282 WS. Are there any options or add ons you wish you had ordered now that you have experience with your rig? We have a firm price of 38k on a 2014 8282 diamond a local dealer has in stock. Camping season starts here in April so we are not in a hurry to purchase and then store a rig....Any other thoughts or suggestions are most appreciated
we got our diamond package for $38,200. Includes second a/c. We got theater seat but would have been OK with recliners too. Not many extras missing. You'll love it. Check em out in spring.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Here's the wife's idea. The tag accidentally got stuck in the sealed cabinet door and kept it from moving during transport, so we left it that way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131127_123056.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	43204

Old 11-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #35

Quote:
What did you use as the mounting adhesive?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Double sided tape?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #37

I wonder - what is the difference between the 8282 and 8289WS?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
What did you use as the mounting adhesive?
Mounted it to a pc of lexan, countersunk the screws and used 3M outdoor double sided tape. Put it on in Feb 12 and it's still holding good.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Fifth Wheel Floorplans by Forest River

Old 11-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #40

Quote:
The 8289ws has rear kitchen. The 8282 has mid-kitchen. There may be other differences. But that's the difference In layout.
Hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote