Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #1

Question 8285sw Questions

We are considering buying a Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 5th Wheel Model 8285SW. I have a few questions, which I am hoping some more experienced Rockwood owners can answer. We previousily owned a Sportsman 5th wheel so are not new to this. We can't find this camper locally, so can't get my questions answered.

1. This camper is listed as having a 76 gallon gray water tank. Is this one large tank with one cleanout or two tanks with two cleanouts? I don't want to have to battle this at the dump station.

2. I don't see anything about a spare tire, but am assuming one comes as standard equipment. Is this true?

3. Because the roof ladder is an option, I am wondering if it is okay to walk on the roof? I know on some campers, the roof is not strong enough to support your weight.

4. My tow vehicle is a Ford 2001 F-250 V10 SD extended cab Gas 2-wheel drive with short bed. Is anybody pulling this camper with this tv or something similiar to it? I would welcome any and all comments about towing.
mvsu002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsu002 View Post
First of all, welcome to the forums. We have a 8280WS but for your questions, it won't matter.

1. This camper is listed as having a 76 gallon gray water tank. Is this one large tank with one cleanout or two tanks with two cleanouts? I don't want to have to battle this at the dump station.

It will have 2 - 38 gallon tanks...one located under the basement area with a common sewer hook-up with the black tank. The 2nd tank is for the galley and would be located behind the camper's axles with it's own, separate sewer hook-up.

2. I don't see anything about a spare tire, but am assuming one comes as standard equipment. Is this true?

The spare tire and cover are part of the convenience package which is a mandatory option (oxymoron!)

3. Because the roof ladder is an option, I am wondering if it is okay to walk on the roof? I know on some campers, the roof is not strong enough to support your weight.

The roof is plenty strong enough...I frequently go up there to check the general condition of the roof and caulking. No clog dancing up there, however!

4. My tow vehicle is a Ford 2001 F-250 V10 SD extended cab Gas 2-wheel drive with short bed. Is anybody pulling this camper with this tv or something similiar to it? I would welcome any and all comments about towing.

You'll won't have any issues towing the 8285WS with your TV. The pin weight is listed at 1187 lbs...will probably be in the 1500 lb area when loaded. Perhaps some 8285WS owners will respond also.
Good Luck with your choice.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

Dave,
Thanks for the information. I wish Forest River would come up with some way to connect the 2 gray water tanks, so you only have one drain. How do you handle this at the dump station? Do you dump the aft tank first then pull ahead and dump the front tanks?
mvsu002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

I have 2 10ft. and one 5 ft. drain hose. This gives me 25 ft. I have not had a problem at a dump station.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can also purchase a "y" connector to attach hoses from both dump connections together, then all you have to do is pull and close all the handles.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #6

Hi and congrats on your new 8285WS. I think you wrote 8285SW

Yes it has 2 tanks. One for galley and one for the show/sink. Two different locations and not hooked up together. I think they may have done this because of weight distribution.

As far as I know the spare tire and carrier was a seperate option but may be included in a particular package.

As far as I know the ladder was a seperate option but may be included in a particular package.

You will not have any problem with your F-250 V10 puling this 5th wheel.

Ask more questions or you can see me at the Forest River Owners Group Rally in Branson MO on May 1-4, 2011 (see below)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote