Old 12-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

8288WS Hitch & Overhang Heights

I have an '08 RAM Cab & Chassis with hauler bed, and need to determine how I will hitch that to a Rockwood 8288WS. I currently use a Colibert Goose Neck Adapter to tow my existing 5th Wheel, and have used that set up for several previous 5th Wheels.

Realizing that using the Goose Neck Adapter "may" void the structural warranty, I am considering installing a B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch for conventional 5th Wheel hookup.

I've read a ton of posts regarding the various heights of the Pin Box Plate, and RV Overhang heights, but need to nail the dimensions down.

Here is the Tow Vehicle:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM CC.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	22526

Here are the applicable heights:
Floor to Truck Bed Height is 36-1/2 inches
Floor to Top of Tool Box Height is 51-1/2 inches

These are my options:

Install B&W RVK3000 Companion Hitch, which will result in a hitch plate height of between 51-1/4 and 53-1/4 inches

Install B&W 3050 Companion Flat Bed Hitch, which will result in a hitch plate height of 47 inches

In order to determine which option to pursue, I would like to obtain the following measurements:

1. With the trailer level, the distance (height) from the floor to the Pin Box Plate, and how much adjustment is available with the Pin Box.

2. With the trailer level, the distance from the floor to the 5th Wheel Overhang (portion that extends over the truck bed).

Any assistance is appreciated.

RodeoGeorge

Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've measured our 8280WS level in the driveway...the 8288WS will be the same.
The overhang to the ground is 57", the hitch plate to the ground is 46 1/2". I have the pinbox in the lowest set of mounting holes and it could be raised a max of 2" (2 sets of holes) from it's current setting bringing it to 48 1/2" from the ground if needed.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I've measured our 8280WS level in the driveway...the 8288WS will be the same.
The overhang to the ground is 57", the hitch plate to the ground is 46 1/2". I have the pinbox in the lowest set of mounting holes and it could be raised a max of 2" (2 sets of holes) from it's current setting bringing it to 48 1/2" from the ground if needed.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Dave
You confirmed what I "thought". I've seen those numbers elsewhere on the Forum, but they were always in a gray area.

Now I "know". As the saying goes, "ask the man that owns one"!

Looks like the Flat Bed version, and I'll have 6 inches of clearance to the Tool Boxes. Fortunately, unlike a standard pickup with a tail gate, do not have the problem of a "truck nose down" bringing a tailgate up into the overhang.

Again, thanks

RodeoGeorge
Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've thought some more. The measurement I gave you is with a Lippert std 1621 pinbox where the new 5W come with a Reese Revolution pinbox. I'd have to do some checking to see if the hitch plate to mounting hole dimension is different between the two pinboxes.

Dave

Old 12-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I've thought some more. The measurement I gave you is with a Lippert std 1621 pinbox where the new 5W come with a Reese Revolution pinbox. I'd have to do some checking to see if the hitch plate to mounting hole dimension is different between the two pinboxes.

Dave
Thanks again Dave. Not having access to anything here in the area, it's hard to obtain the details.

I await your findings.

RodeoGeorge
Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have not been able to find any reference to that measurement, though I assume that it would be very similiar, but you know what the word 'assume' can mean.

Perhaps some kind sole with a Rockwood/Flagstaff 5W and Reese Revolution pinbox would measure noting the mounting position and post their results.

Dave

Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Owner/Operator

Just bumping to the top to try for an answer.

RodeoGeorge