Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

8288WS - Where do the Recliners go?

In looking at the pictures of the 8288WS, it appears that the recliners extend out into the room from the back wall beyond the point where the Slide would come in.

Where do the recliners go, when the slide room is in?

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

I have a 2604ws which is a similar layout. You have to move the chairs when the slide room is in. Usually you can stack one on top of the other and strap them down.

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

Wow. If the Lazy Boy option is selected, that would mean lifting and stacking those monsters. I'm in pretty good shape, but that would still be a feat for me to accomplish. I really don't know the weight of them, but it was a chore to just move the Flex Steel recliners that I had in my Monaco Medallion.

This might necessitate looking at another floor plan.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

While I haven't heard from an actual 8288WS owner, based on NMWHITIS' input, we're looking at going with the 8289WS on which the Slides will clear the chairs when they are turned sideways.

Two things that led us to the 8288 as opposed to the 8289 originally were the fixed Dinette (as opposed to the free standing table), and the fact that the exit door opens very close to the rear end of the awning, resulting in the possibility of getting wet when exiting during a rain.

Our local dealer is going to locate a 8288 owner, and have them call us so that we can pick their brain.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #5

We have a similar model in a Flagstaff, and you just turn the chairs sideways. And we have the leather Lazyboys.
I would never stack them on top of one another, or on top of anything else either. There is no way you could tie them down securely enough, and something would get damaged while travelling.
They travel very well when stowed properly.
That 8289 is a beautiful layout, but the two short awnings seem kindof useless.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #6

One question; why do you not like the free-standing dinette?
We ordered it, and love it. The table is much more sturdy than any booth table I have ever seen.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Owner/Operator

BAKKEN,

Thanks for the information.

What model Flagstaff do you have? One like the Rockwood 8288, or 8289? I'd like to look at the Flagstaff Floorplan and see if the small slide is closer to the rear than the large slide (as in the 8288).

The Dinette as opposed to the table is the wife's preference. Don't know why, other than a little storage with the Dinette. We've had both in the RVs that we've had over the years, and she just prefers the Dinette, BUT we've never had one with the type of table that they use now.

RodeoGeorge
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #8

Well whatever you do better make sure they are secure. Its a bumpy ride in the back of a TT and they get rocking and can move around. My Rockwood has straps that attach to the floor to secure them while traveling.

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #9

George, we have one like the 8288.
The chairs are definitely a tight fit, but we strap them to one another, face-to-face, rather than to the floor with the factory mounts.
It seems to work fine.
It would have been a lot better if the factory had just made these units 6 inches longer, which would have provided lots of room.
But if we had room for everything, the camper would be 100 feet long!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #10

We turn the Lazyboys sideways, back to back. We place a thick towel over the backs so they don't rub as we travel. We don't tie them down in any way, and have not had any issues. We also place the two barstools, wrapped in cloth, on top of them in such a way that they too don't move.

We love the free standing table, although we leave two of the chairs at home as there is just the 2 of us. We also put covers over the two chairs so they will not rub if they move around. We are careful to not let them get near the windows!

We LOVE the Lazyboys!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
We turn the Lazyboys sideways, back to back. We place a thick towel over the backs so they don't rub as we travel. We don't tie them down in any way, and have not had any issues. We also place the two barstools, wrapped in cloth, on top of them in such a way that they too don't move.
It's a good idea to check to ensure that they haven't moved before you put the slides out. If they have shifted forward, the recliner could get caught on the slide fascia and damage the chair and the fascia. I don't know if you can get to the back of the camper with the slides in to check though.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Owner/Operator

Oh, I WILL find a way to get there. Bring out the monkey in me. LOL

I've had that happen with other rigs, and not fun. Fortunately no major damage.

I will be taking the two standard chairs out, and putting in one relatively small recliner. I'll also look into some sort of strap to ensure that it stays in place.

But thanks for the heads up.

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #13

RodeoGeorge, We have a 8288ws and absolutely love it. As I am only semi-retired we liked the idea of having a desk so I can work as we travel. As for your Recliner chair question, they turn upside down and interlock into the couch on the superslide. There are pre-mounted floor rings and straps that hold the chairs firm. Although we have not traveled great distances, I have never had any shifting of the chairs, nor anything else.
8288wsToronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #14

George, I have a 8288WS and have traveled 8500 miles around lower USA with it. I have now exported this unit to Australia. The 2 recliners are a tight fit but one is placed in front of the entertainment unit and the other turned sideways at the rear wall. I also have the collapsible dinette which is handy for an extra bed.
sanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #15

To NMWHITIS:

In the 2604, there is plenty of room for the chairs without stacking. Turn the backs to the door with chairs side by side. They never move. Not sure why anyone would stack them. Jack
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote