Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

8289 Antenna

so??? JUST GOT THIS 8289, RECEPTION IS TERRIBLE,,,Went to look for the fold down antenna on the unit and found out that it is no longer made,,,,,what's the deal with that???? on a new 2014 5th wheel??? no longer made????? so before I do something really stupid,,,,does anyone have any experience with this deal???
THESCUBADOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #2

Radio or TV? My radio antenna is on the dining room slide behind the radio. I get decent reception. It folds out from side and then extends. TV is normal crank up located in bedroom and gets good reception.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

the Radio,,,the antenna is on the outside side wall,,,only 3 extensions and it folds flat when not in use,,
Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

Yep. Same one. Had the same one on last camper too. I have to agree it is probably not as good as the whip antenna my first trailer had but I can still pull in most of the signals I can with my truck radio at the same location. May be a loose connection on back of radio unit. Would have to remove trim ring and unscrew and slide out to verify.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #5

antenna is connected OK,,,,looking for a ground wire,,, seems like there are 3 wires off the antenna, the antenna itself, a blue and a red,,,,any idea of where these guys might be???
Old 09-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

I abandoned the OEM Radio Antenna, and connected the receiver to the batwing roof antenna. There are a few posts on here telling how to do that.

Reception using the batwing FAR exceeds anything you'll get with that little stub.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESCUBADOC View Post
the Radio,,,the antenna is on the outside side wall,,,only 3 extensions and it folds flat when not in use,,
I think the antenna you are talking about is for the sirius xm only, I think the genesis antenna is just a wire behind the unit. I do not think the sirius and the genesis are connected to that antenna, but like I always say I have been wrong before.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

well, I heard from an Electrician at the company, and found out how they were wired,,,the antenna is the AM-FM antenna, connected through a harness, at the back of the radio....to a ground and a positive,,,,, will fool with it when I get home, if my next post is asking for advice on how to put out a fire,,, I did it wrong
This is my 4th RV, always had Keystones before, and I am impressed with the quality concern the folks at Rockwood have,,,, as well as the 5th wheel itself,,
Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think the antenna you are talking about is for the sirius xm only, I think the genesis antenna is just a wire behind the unit. I do not think the sirius and the genesis are connected to that antenna, but like I always say I have been wrong before.
Not so on the 8289WS. The antenna on the side of the TV/Dining Room slideout is the AM/FM antenna for the Genesis unit.

Reception using this antenna is horrible. I received 2 full limiting FM stations and 3 very fuzzy stations when this antenna was used.

I Connected the Batwing on the roof to the genesis and at the same location with the Antenna Amplifier turned on, receive 8 full limiting stations. I also can now receive two WX stations, and had zero with the OEM antenna.

Posts #17 and #19 in this thread explain the modification:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-36212-2.html

RodeoGeorge
Old 09-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #10

cool.....will give it a shot this week end.....thanks man
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Not so on the 8289WS. The antenna on the side of the TV/Dining Room slideout is the AM/FM antenna for the Genesis unit.

Reception using this antenna is horrible. I received 2 full limiting FM stations and 3 very fuzzy stations when this antenna was used.

I Connected the Batwing on the roof to the genesis and at the same location with the Antenna Amplifier turned on, receive 8 full limiting stations. I also can now receive two WX stations, and had zero with the OEM antenna.

Posts #17 and #19 in this thread explain the modification:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-36212-2.html

RodeoGeorge
I have never really checked I have the same unit, so where is the antenna for the sirius radio. All I found was the wire laying behind it. My unit had a label on that back antenna when it was new and said Sirius on it. If that is what you are talking about. But could be wrong, mine also wasn't plugged into the unit once I did that I get all kinds of am and fm and weather. But my unit is a 2012. The plug was just laying their. I have read your post but that black antenna is made for the Sirius radio.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have read your post but that black antenna is made for the Sirius radio.
That is the first that I've heard of it being for a Sirius radio. I do not have Sirius in my Genesis GT-3.0.

I also connected the output of an RF Signal generator to the small fold out whip on the side of the slideout to verify that it was in fact the FM antenna before doing the Mod.

I cannot see up inside behind the TV, but I'm 99% certain that the cable with the Motorola Plug on it that is plugged into the antenna input on the Genesis goes directly through the wall to that small whip.

The Frequency Bands of Sirius versus FM would prevent a single antenna from satisfying both receivers without some very expensive components.

Also, a Sirius and/or XM antenna requires a voltage on the center pin of the coax to power the circuitry (amplifier) in the antenna itself, and there is no voltage present on the center pin of the jack on the Genesis where the Motorola Plug goes.

Can you post a reference or link to the source for the Sirius antenna configuration?

RodeoGeorge
Old 09-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #13

I will try and find that then post it, I was even told that by my dealer. My unit came with the radio next to the Genesis 3.0 also it plays through the system through the Genesis 3.0. I have a dock box at home with an antenna also, and the unit also came from FR with an extra antenna and mount for your car so you can transfer it. I'm surprised that the new units did not come with one. That is the only outside antenna I have besides the TV. I'm 100% positive that is for my Sirius XM.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #14

RedeoGeorge, I can not find anything, except in the Genesis Manual that shows it as an accessory for the unit everything plugs into the Genesis. I remember when I bought the unit my unit would not pick up any stations, I found that the antenna wire was not plugged in the rear, once I did that I got all the stations and weather. But the XM worked fine with out the antenna wire plugged in. I will ask Bob Fields and see what he say's.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #15

the fold down antena is indeed for AM-FM there are 3 wires coming from it to the Genesis GT 3.0 unit,,,,,The blue is the ground, red is positive and the antenna has the motorola plug on it,,,,,,as it was explained to me, the ground goes to the negative on the radio, the red to the positive on the radio and the antenna plugs in, to the female on the radio ,,,haven't had time to get out and look at it , but I will this weekend,,,,, perhaps one of the wires from the antenna, just isn't making a good contact, but the reception is horrible,,,,, I purchased an "IN LINE" amplifier, so we'll see what that does as well,,,,,
Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
Paul & Sheri

My FM/AM/NOAA antenna is a "car antenna" type on the roof wired to the Genesis with a conventional car antenna wire. The Sirius XM antenna is a small black antenna about 2" square on the roof near the other.

I took the conversion route and hooked up the Genesis to the TV antenna too and now it works great. With parts in hand (18" cable, HD splitter and radio adaptor to cable) it took about 30 minutes.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #17

if all else fails, I'll do that as well,,,,, got to try a few options first,,,,I hate cranking up the antenna on the roof, always forget to put it down DUH ?? where did you buy the coax to Motorola conversion adaptors ?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
My FM/AM/NOAA antenna is a "car antenna" type on the roof wired to the Genesis with a conventional car antenna wire. The Sirius XM antenna is a small black antenna about 2" square on the roof near the other.

I took the conversion route and hooked up the Genesis to the TV antenna too and now it works great. With parts in hand (18" cable, HD splitter and radio adaptor to cable) it took about 30 minutes.
My unit came with SiriusXM already installed. I have been all over this camper, I only have 2 antennas. The TV winguard on the roof and the black one for the Radio. It has to be tied in to the Genesis system antenna somehow as the unit is. I know of the 2x2 black antenna for it, but I have searched all over, there is nothing. That came with the kit incase I want to use it in my car also. I have an email to Bob Fields, we will see what he say's and I will let everyone know. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #19
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THESCUBADOC View Post
if all else fails, I'll do that as well,,,,, got to try a few options first,,,,I hate cranking up the antenna on the roof, always forget to put it down DUH ?? where did you buy the coax to Motorola conversion adaptors ?
I don't even crank the Batwing up. Just turn on the Amplifier and use it flat on the roof.

One source for the adapter cable is in Post #19 of the Thread that I linked above.

RodeoGeorge
Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #20

Good Morning gljurczyk, the antenna for my SiriusXM is a little bump on the front outside corner of the roof on the dining slide.

Tags
antenna