Old 09-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #1

8289 Black tank flush out

Hi
Our new 5er model 8289 has a black water tank flush line that you can use instead of the toilet wand. We tried it on our first trip out but we are not sure how it or if it works. Can anyone out there tell us how you use yours? Thanks

Old 09-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #2

I have a Windjammer, if it's like the one on mine, I use it like this.

I dump the black tank, then I hook up a water hose to the black tank flush on the camper. Here;s what I do that the directions say not to do, I then close the black tank drain valve. I turn on the water and let it run for a few minutes. While its running I can hear the water spaying into the tank, I listen for the sound to change, don't know how to describe what the change sounds like. When it changes I turn off the water and drain the tank again. I usually do this two or three times until the water is running clear. I have a clear 90 degree elbow that I mount on the dump stand pipe coming up out of the ground.

The directions say to leave the valve open when running water thru the black tank flush but I think it does a better job if you let the water build up some in the tank before you drain it again.

strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #3

I have the same unit, you really need a clear elbow to see it work . You drain your tank first then you hook your hose to the black tank cleaner. You will here water being sprayed inside the tank at the toilet. You could watch the clear elbow to and see a stream of water coming out. when the water turns clear and you will see it, then just shut the water off and disconnect the hose. Some people use a separate hose being your hooking it up to the black tank.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

I do it just like strat56 does it.

Bruce
Old 09-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
WFD

The reason they tell you to always have the valve open is in case you walk away and forget you have the black tank flush hooked up...the tank will eventually fill itself and well....I think you get the picture!
But it doesnt fill that fast, so I also do what others have mentioned and close the valve and let the tank fill some., and do this a couple times. Just don't get distracted and walk away.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
The reason they tell you to always have the valve open is in case you walk away and forget you have the black tank flush hooked up...the tank will eventually fill itself and well....I think you get the picture!
But it doesnt fill that fast, so I also do what others have mentioned and close the valve and let the tank fill some., and do this a couple times. Just don't get distracted and walk away.

A buddy of mine just texted me last week. Said he spaced out and "turned off the black tank flush .... twice." Meaning, when he walked away, it was on.

He said the tank ended up rupturing from it. I'm curious about that since I would have actually expected water to fill up and come out the vent pipe for a horrible crap-fountain/shower.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I do it just like strat56 does it.

Bruce

Same here; in fact, dumping tanks right now. The elbow takes all of the guess work out of knowing if the tank is empty and if I'm getting clear water or not.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #8

I generally leave my valve open after the inital dump and use a clear elbow as well unless I know it is not draining well and have some build up. Then I will (without leaving) close the valve and let it fill up some to get things flowing again.
DG, DH
Tally the Greyhound and Itty the Chihuahua
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Cyber Phrenologist

I use the clear elbow, and...

I shut the valve off and let the tank refill only slightly, and...

in addition to ordinary non-formaldehyde toilet treatment (whatever is on sale at Walmart) I keep a small scoop of laundry soap and some fabric softener in the tank during use and retreat after dumping. Makes the tank slippery so it cleans easy.

Some folks insist on Calgon but any brand will do.

I have a 2009 Rockwood and you can easily hear the washer arm spinning inside the tank. Just let it run.

I bought a 50ft green water hose. I made a 15' and a 35' out of it. I use the 15' at the dump station. It's easy to handle and doesn't need to be any longer as it just takes up more space and time to handle. And the white hoses stay packed away at the dump station. Eeewww!
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

8289 Black tank flush out

Good ideal on the green hose Radio.

Both of mine are white but the one I use for the sewer flush hose is the one provided with the trailer and it is shorter so I have no problem keeping them separate.

My system is pretty much like mentioned here. Key is the clear elbow. I like to see what is going on, or rather "going down."

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, tank