Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 AM   #1

8289 black tank problem

Hi
We are on our 3rd short trip in our 2016 model 8289 5er. Two things happening with the black tank immediately upon arrival. Put some chemical and water down the toilet and a terrible smell came from the toilet. Ran some more water down it and added more chemical, but every time we flush it is awful. Also, the black tank is showing full even though we know it isn't. Does anyone know if these are issues for our specific model or have any of you experienced this? Your suggestions are appreciated.
Mark and Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:03 AM   #2

Use lots of water when flushing, fill the bowl 1/2 way or more before you flush. Wait till the tank is at least 3/4 full before dumping. With the problem you are having might be a good idea to flush the tank real good. Always a good idea to flush the tank real good before putting the camper away for the week. Google GEO method to keep tanks clean and odor free. We use the GEO method instead of the chemacles, have been for several years and never an odor problem. Your tanks are showing full because of paper and stuff stuck to the sensors. Always leave about 5 gallons of water in the tank when stored so any solids left in the tank won't dry, stick and build up in your black tank.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Kelly View Post
Hi
We are on our 3rd short trip in our 2016 model 8289 5er. Two things happening with the black tank immediately upon arrival. Put some chemical and water down the toilet and a terrible smell came from the toilet. Ran some more water down it and added more chemical, but every time we flush it is awful. Also, the black tank is showing full even though we know it isn't. Does anyone know if these are issues for our specific model or have any of you experienced this? Your suggestions are appreciated.
Phone Dude has it right, even through I don't use the geo- method. Did you dump after every trip. That's a brand new unit. I can go about 4 day's without dumping. If you where at a full hookup site, did you leave your black tank open ever? The only thing that I know of that will make your tank stink is solids that didn't get cleaned out. Next time at a full=site hookup use your black flush system and try to clean it as best you can. I always try to flush after every dump then add 5 gals of water and the chemicals. I have never had a smelling tank yet. hope that helps. I'm sure you know do not leave the black tank open when hooked up. I have learned from experience years ago. Almost cost me a new tank.Always keep atleast 5 gals of water and your preferred chemicals in when not in use....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Did you have a bathroom exhaust fan on? That will suck the fumes right into your trailer.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #5

I had troubles with my 2015 - 8289 black tank too. It plugged so that when flushing it would bubble at the toilet and smell because the vent was not open to the drain. Tried the usual stuff, plunging, etc. Had to use a power auger which brought up some fiberglass strands I'm assuming the hole drilled in the tank was not cleared prior to inserting the drain line. No problems since. Your unit has an outside flush valve. That works for me when the gauge does not read true.
timerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Did you have a bathroom exhaust fan on? That will suck the fumes right into your trailer.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
Have heard that for years, but we have the fan on when we use and flush the toilet and have never smelled the black tank. I guess we don't leave the valve open long enough for the odor to come up.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #7

I haven't paid attention to the the guages for the black tank for a very long time. When the toilet starts to bubble when you flush, it's just about time to dump. Water is your friend when flushing solids. I use RV digest-it and I think it works very well. I've also used the geo method. Google it if your not familiar with it. As was said above, don't leave your black tank valve open until you're ready to dump or else you will get the dreaded pyramid and believe me, you don't want to deal with that. As for the smell, your vent may be blocked so get on the roof and using a hose, shoot water down it to see if it's blocked or it's sitting too low in the black tank. Good luck.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have heard that for years, but we have the fan on when we use and flush the toilet and have never smelled the black tank. I guess we don't leave the valve open long enough for the odor to come up.
I agree have heard that myth all the time, I eat a lot of beans, and never had the smell come up from the tank with the fan on.. My poor poor neighbors and CG.... PS: RV digest is a good product, just follow the instructions. One members had a plugged tank, he used that and let it sit for 24 hrs as it says, his problem was gone in 24 hours.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Ditto the Pipeman. Don't leave the black tank valve open until ready to dump. As well, the vent pipe may be plugged if you have allowed the black tank to overfill at one time or another, or the mud daubbers have built a nest in it. Being full timers, I dump every Saturday or sooner if necessary when the bubbles appear during flushing.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I agree have heard that myth all the time, I eat a lot of beans, and never had the smell come up from the tank with the fan on.. My poor poor neighbors and CG.... PS: RV digest is a good product, just follow the instructions. One members had a plugged tank, he used that and let it sit for 24 hrs as it says, his problem was gone in 24 hours.
My nose wishes I could agree with ya, but not a myth in my case. I can verify first hand that it can and did happen to me. I make sure to turn the vent fan off now when flushing. It may have something to do with where the vent fan is actually at, per RV (mine is almost directly over the toilet)...or maybe ya's stuff don't stink.

You may want to look at the vent pipe as others have advised. We have had several members who have had their vent pipe installed too far down in the black tank, or is plugged on the top..... from the factory.

EDIT: Similar threads that may give you some ideas:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rip-27320.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #11

Not a myth for me either. If I have the bathroom vent fan on and flush the toilet the smell almost knocks me over.

It's not unusual for OLDER adults to have a diminished sense of smell. Just saying.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #12

Maybe you need to clean your toilet better, or buy some good chemicals.... Also just saying you should respect your elders, I don't think your any spring chicken either. All I know is that when I flush all I smell are the chemicals. Went through about 4 different brands before I found one that didn't smell like a half moon out house.... It is called Full timer sold by CW. Never had a smell since, and my 3 speed fan is directly over the head. Sounds more like plugged vent pipe to me.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

We have a Blue Streak, but don't use their chemicals, I use 1/3 SuperClean, 1/3 Pinesol and 1/3 water mixture and never get a smell. Our 3 speed vent fan is turned on lo when we use the commode and when we shower.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #14

Cool ICE is nice

On your next trip pour 3 bags of ice in your black tank with 1 gallon of water and some dish soap..while your driving the ice,water and dish soap will shlosh around and clean all the crud out...when you park to camp put a couple packets of odorlos into the tank and wait wait till your tank gets at least 3/4 full and flush the tank...repeat if necessary!!!!....and always wait till your tanks are at least 3/4 full before you drain your tanks....and when you empty the tank run some water b4 you do the dirty...and run alot after....i use odorlos religiously after i drain my tank......good luck....

Tags
black, black tank, tank