Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #101

Does anyone know if they fixed the issue with the new 2015 8289ws coming out of the factory? I am picking mine up this Saturday, and it would really suck to have to ask these guys if the work was done or to schedule it before I even take it out.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #102

Don't know about the 2015's but if you could get up to the decal ROCKWOOD or on top of the unit putting a fair amount of pressure above the ROCKWOOD decal it should be solid. If it has give to it you should request the fix or watch it real close as a "dent" may appear over time. I think that hot weather has more of an effect on the cap. Could be traveling in the heat next summer you might start to see the "DENT" if the cap lacks support under it. Mine looked great till the weather got hot.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #103

2013 Rockwood 8280WS fifth-wheel.

Update on our dent issue. FR denied RVWs request for warranty or other help with our repair. Laurie at RVW gave us the name and number of the service rep, Roger Bieler. We talked to Roger and he said that ours was a different issue than those that got a fix. Our dents aren't bad enough for a fix. He said he would send the request for a second opinion and would get back to RVW.

It think that a one year warranty on such a large and complex item is ludicrous. Our expensive extra warranty doesn't seem to cover much either.

I'm attaching a picture of our dents. Hope this works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1412872710.326465.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	64417
The Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #104

The fix isn't hard to do, the hardest part was separating the cap at the roof line. Looking at yours it looks like the cap at the roofline needs to be resealed anyway, this would be a good time to get the foam fix under your cap.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadrunners View Post
2013 Rockwood 8280WS fifth-wheel.

Update on our dent issue. FR denied RVWs request for warranty or other help with our repair. Laurie at RVW gave us the name and number of the service rep, Roger Bieler. We talked to Roger and he said that ours was a different issue than those that got a fix. Our dents aren't bad enough for a fix. He said he would send the request for a second opinion and would get back to RVW.

It think that a one year warranty on such a large and complex item is ludicrous. Our expensive extra warranty doesn't seem to cover much either.

I'm attaching a picture of our dents. Hope this works.

Attachment 64417
I don't know why that would be refused. Yours is worst then mine was. They just pealed the sealant off and stuck some 1" Form panels in under then resealed it. Theirs a wood brace down about a foot from the top. they put the foam sheets in to fill the gap then they then just resealed it. I have only seen one job that was done right on the forum. They removed the whole cap and installed 3 or 4 sheets behind from brace to brace to fill the gap. This is happening IMO because of the heat with the dark color and also they took the deep V's out which makes it weaker and changed the mil. of the plastic. Mine is white and at the roof line I still developed one dent. but about 8" or so in one place only. They put these caps on with just a wood frame behind them so they fail in between the braces. Just my opinion, but I can't see it happening any other way. It will just sink in because there is nothing pushing against it to keep it's shape. They know this is a problem that's why they came up with the fix so how can they refuse it? Good luck, but what is the difference? Just higher up.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #106

We are hopeful they will give us a break. I believe this issue is a manufacturer defect and should be fixed regardless of warranty. We have an appointment with our local RV service Oct 22. It'll be fixed no matter what, but it would be nice to have FR stand behind its product.

The rep has sent the pics to the service dept for a second opinion, so we will see.
The Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roadrunners View Post
We are hopeful they will give us a break. I believe this issue is a manufacturer defect and should be fixed regardless of warranty. We have an appointment with our local RV service Oct 22. It'll be fixed no matter what, but it would be nice to have FR stand behind its product.

The rep has sent the pics to the service dept for a second opinion, so we will see.
You are correct they know they have a problem other wise they wouldn't have come up with a fix. Warranty or not. Hope they come around and fix it for you.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #108

I have the Flagstaff twin with the same issue. It's been at the service center for three weeks. They told me yesterday that FR would only authorize the "shove some styrofoam in there and let's see what happens" fix. Not happy! Service guy not happy either. He thinks the whole cap needs replacing. He said he just replaced a cap where the styrofoam fix did not work and only now is getting a new cap from FR. Argh!!!
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
I have the Flagstaff twin with the same issue. It's been at the service center for three weeks. They told me yesterday that FR would only authorize the "shove some styrofoam in there and let's see what happens" fix. Not happy! Service guy not happy either. He thinks the whole cap needs replacing. He said he just replaced a cap where the styrofoam fix did not work and only now is getting a new cap from FR. Argh!!!
If your dents are at the roof line only, that's all they will approve. I have only seen one that was posted and done correctly. They removed the cap and put solid styrofoam in between the cross membranes. I had a small dent in mine and they saw it, I was just living with it, but at the rally Floyd seen it (from the factory) and told them to repair it the same way. It pushed it out and you can't see the dent anymore, has held up since August. The real problem is the bracing behind the cap. If your unit is the dark unit it shows more and the real problem is the heat and the thin plastic they now use instead of pure gel coat. Just another cost cutting thing that we have to deal with later. My advice to you is let them stuff that area. If you don't like the out come start screaming and don't accept it. There going to grease the loudest spoke. But it might just work out fine as mine did. At least they owned up to it now, and they are going to have to make you happy. Screaming might be a little harsh but I'm sure you get my point.....Good Luck, but I'm pretty sure you will be happy. What surprises me is there is no insulation between that cap and your wall at all. Am I correct that yours is at the roof line only?.... PS: I really don'e remember to many Flagstaffs with that problem it has been mostly the Rockwood #8289WS.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
If your dents are at the roof line only, that's all they will approve. I have only seen one that was posted and done correctly. They removed the cap and put solid styrofoam in between the cross membranes. I had a small dent in mine and they saw it, I was just living with it, but at the rally Floyd seen it (from the factory) and told them to repair it the same way. It pushed it out and you can't see the dent anymore, has held up since August. The real problem is the bracing behind the cap. If your unit is the dark unit it shows more and the real problem is the heat and the thin plastic they now use instead of pure gel coat. Just another cost cutting thing that we have to deal with later. My advice to you is let them stuff that area. If you don't like the out come start screaming and don't accept it. There going to grease the loudest spoke. But it might just work out fine as mine did. At least they owned up to it now, and they are going to have to make you happy. Screaming might be a little harsh but I'm sure you get my point.....Good Luck, but I'm pretty sure you will be happy. What surprises me is there is no insulation between that cap and your wall at all. Am I correct that yours is at the roof line only?.... PS: I really don'e remember to many Flagstaffs with that problem it has been mostly the Rockwood #8289WS.
Here's a pic of mine. Only appears to be at the top. Hopefully they can get it fixed and everything be okay. I do feel good that my service guy insisted if it's not right, he's got my back dealing with Forrest River.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	544.5 KB
ID:	67383  
Old 12-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #111

Quote:
Here's a pic of mine. Only appears to be at the top. Hopefully they can get it fixed and everything be okay. I do feel good that my service guy insisted if it's not right, he's got my back dealing with Forrest River.
Mine looked just like yours, I just got mine back from the factory and they replaced the front cap and put more reinforcement foam behind it.
albuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by albuilder View Post
Mine looked just like yours, I just got mine back from the factory and they replaced the front cap and put more reinforcement foam behind it.
Good to hear. I guess I'm gonna have to go with the foam fixed first. But like I said my service guy promised me that my fifth will not leave the shop unless it's fixed right. He's got a real good reputation.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #113

Quote:
Good to hear. I guess I'm gonna have to go with the foam fixed first. But like I said my service guy promised me that my fifth will not leave the shop unless it's fixed right. He's got a real good reputation.
Mine was kinda like that, it's easier to see with the dark then the white. Right below were it ends there is a cross brace, they stuff it down to that brace. If your there you will see how flimsy that area is. Just make sure that they seal it right across the whole top when done.....

Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #114
WFD

I'd almost rather live with it then trust them to take it apart and reseal it properly.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #115

Update-got a call from RV service center guy. There is a hole in the roof near the AC unit above the bedroom. I must have hit a treelimb somewhere but it was news to me. So it's new roof time as well. May be silver lining though as RV service guy said it may help in getting the front cap replaced since the whole roof membrane has to come off. Roof repair should be covered by insurance so keeping fingers crossed. Hope I can get this thing fixed by spring!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #116
Scotsman

Front Cap Problems

Hi Guys

Read the many posts on this issue and it really caught my attention. We have recently ordered a Rockwood 8285 IKWS, it will hopefully be ready near the end of Jan. 2015 and so I e-mailed my dealer with a picture of the problem and voiced my concern over this issue. I asked if FR where aware of this problem and were they doing anything about it? I just heard today that they have changed the production of the front cap and they feel that the changes that they have made will correct the issue. I really feel for the owners that are having to deal with this issue. You buy a new trailer and expect the best and then have to deal with a major flaw like this. All I can say is that I hope the problem has been fixed, but this should never have been an issue. It is mind boggling to think a major RV manufacturer could make a mistake like this. I hope that all the RV owners that are affected by this problem are able to get this corrected by RF. Have a great Christmas.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #117

I was thinking about buying a Rockwood 8289ws until I saw these front caps. One big concern is going down the road with all the wind resistance I am afraid the seal along the top might get loose and water could come in. I hear from the dealer that Forest River is now putting some kind of a fix in place but I don't know how good it might be. If it is like the video then I would not consider that a very good fix.. If anyone gets a picture of the supposed new fix I sure would like to see it.. Thanks Duke
dukeboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #118

I was made aware of this problem by another Rockwood owner with a 2013 model. I have a 2015 8280 and the cap design has been changed and it has a concave molding that dips in rather than a raised crown as shown on these pictures. It has a concave shaped dip at the top of the cap molding. I was wondering if anybody has any problems with sagging in this part of the cap molding?
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote