Old 08-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #81

Could Someone post a picture of there cap fix. I would post mine but can't seem to figure out how. They did the foam fix at my dealer and it isn't any better.

Thanks, Al

Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #82

Page 4 post 37 has a video on how they preform the fix.

PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #83

We have a 8282ws with the same issue. Once fixed, I was going to post what our RV dealer did to remedy the problem. Thus far, our RV dealer has exceeded my expectation on fixing and preventing this from happening again.
In summary, after reading threads regarding the 8289 front cap dents, I began to notice our front cap shown signs of large indentations. Few weeks back, the issue was shown to our RV dealer’s warranty and service department. We all agreed that the front cap should be replaced and front area reinforced with additional support material. They addressed the issue with FR, who agreed to warranty and replace the front cap, decals, and provide additional support foam/material based on my RV dealer's recommendation to remedy the problem. Last week, FR delivered the parts, and our 8282ws is at the dealership for repairs now. As of today, the front cap was removed and my service tech began installing additional styrofoam across the top front. Well I tried to attach pics, but having problem on attachments. I do have pics of the old front cap w/the crater indentations, and today our RV warranty and service tech took pics for me to show what has been done so far (Great bunch of guys). Couple pics show the front cap off, apparently the factory install flat styrofoam inserts from side to side between the aluminum braces (top to bottom of front). My RV dealer used thick styrofoam (looks like 3-5 inches thichness) and secured with adhesive across the top flat front styrofoam panel. There will be additional foam installed once the adhesive sets up. Then the new cap and decals will be install, with new rubber seal. Sorry about no pics, but I will try to show before, during, and after re-install of front cap.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:42 AM   #84

Hi all. We have a 2013 Rockwood 8280WS with the same problem. We noticed it just this spring when we were getting the trailer ready for the season. We also have the Diamond package and it may be that the darker color makes a difference. I've sent pictures to our dealer's warranty dept. haven't heard back yet.

Thanks for all the info you all have provided.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #85

Pictures of Front Cap Fix

Here are some pictures - old cap with dents, front cap removed(the existing front cap had approximate 1 inch of styrofoam support between the shell cap and front top section). Picture showing install of long section of thick styrofoam (approx 5-6 inches) across the top support member of cap. Not shown in pictures, the Service Techs added a couple more inches of styrofoam prior to install of new front cap. Also, added styrofoam across the middle. Today, the new cap was installed, so I went over to take a quick look.

The top and middle of front cap are now solid and dense. Previously, it seemed to feel hollow or an empty cavity between the front cap and support structure of RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Cap Dent.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	61539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Cap Off No Foam.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	61540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Additional Foam 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	61541  
Old 08-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Here are some pictures - old cap with dents, front cap removed(the existing front cap had approximate 1 inch of styrofoam support between the shell cap and front top section). Picture showing install of long section of thick styrofoam (approx 5-6 inches) across the top support member of cap. Not shown in pictures, the Service Techs added a couple more inches of styrofoam prior to install of new front cap. Also, added styrofoam across the middle. Today, the new cap was installed, so I went over to take a quick look.

The top and middle of front cap are now solid and dense. Previously, it seemed to feel hollow or an empty cavity between the front cap and support structure of RV.
That is a nice job they did, should take care of the problem IMO. A lot better then just stuffing pieces under the cap. like the video posted to fix.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #87

Thanks. I guess the fix needs to be tailored to each issue. I've read that some had just a couple sheets of styrofoam install to fill the void, unfortunately that wasn't going to work on ours.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #88

They tryed the stuff job on mine but it still didn't work. Forest river just approved replacing the the front cap like the one above.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #89

Albuilder - glad to hear that you will get a new cap. Recommend they install foam as above, or as needed to fill the void across the front. Make sure they ship all the decals to dealer. Forest River forgot to ship one of my decals, so it's in route. But the rest were shipped with cap. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Albuilder - glad to hear that you will get a new cap. Recommend they install foam as above, or as needed to fill the void across the front. Make sure they ship all the decals to dealer. Forest River forgot to ship one of my decals, so it's in route. But the rest were shipped with cap. Good luck.
Yes thank you for posting pictures, I'am going to show them the pictures you posted, and also make sure they install extra foam for suport.