Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 12:43 PM   #21

Right now we are having trouble hearing back from the dealer. We are about 40 miles away and we are supposed to do our walk through tomorrow. Thanks for all advice
Mark and Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Kelly View Post
Was that something you did yourself? Is the second a/c hooked directly to the 2nd 30 amp service? Installed simply for that one a/c unit? I wonder by doing that if it would affect the warranty in any way?
Thanks

Actually it was the dealers idea. The second 30A we plug in with an adapter to the 50A on the campground pedestal. Use both the 30A & the 50A plugs on the campground pedestal. Put a small breaker box in the camper with two circuits one for the second AC the other has a couple of outlets that we use for an ice maker and a second frig, (large dorm size for drinks). As far as the warranty you will have to ask your dealer, we did it late in the warranty period and our dealer was in on it. They put it in as cheaply as I could (I have been dealing with him for years though). That's how they commonly add a second AC to a 30A trailer here without all the expense of converting to 50A.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #23

We have a 8280 with a15,000 btu ac that has no problem keeping up with the heat I New England . So if you can upgrade you should be ok .
Old 07-23-2015, 01:42 AM   #24

We have a new 8289 with the 50 amp additional AC, and if it's hot outside, you're going to need it. When we brought it home, all we had was the 30 amp recepticle to hook up to. A couple of times I turned the AC on during the day, and it struggled to try and keep up. Couldn't, as a matter of fact. Got the 50 amp rec. hooked up, and on the hottest day, starting in the afternoon, it took about an hour to cool down. Best thing we ever did was get the RV with the 50 amp upgrade. If you start the AC in the morning when it's cool, it might keep up, but if you have the chance, DEFINITELY go with the upgrade.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #25

Hi All
Picked up our new 5th wheel and was able to find out even though it is a 30 amp it does have the 15. btu a/c. So we will see if that meets our needs.
I did get a quote on converting to 50 amp from a reliable coach repair place and they gave me a price of $1,000 for conversion and 850. for 13.5 btu a/c installed in bedroom.
We won't go that route right now, but good to know there is an option.
Love our new rig!
Mark and Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
You can upgrade. Better yet, get the second a/c if you do not have it.
X2 a 15K & a 13.5K in the bedroom is the optimal setup.

In really hot environments the single 15K A/C can barely keep up - it will run constantly from @ 0700-2200 daily. I know, we lost our 13.5K bedroom unit over the 4th of July last year.

I am not so sure how a single 13.5K A/C will function in hot weather.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The real killer is the Diamond Package and the dark brown finish. The newer 2016 have a lighter brown finish that is better with the heat gain. If we roast this summer we would add and extra Front AC on a separate circuit. Just a single breaker and inlet on the side of the trailer. The only place I have seen 50 amp we camp at is Goshen 4H camp.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #28

AC

We have the 2015 WJ 3006. set up in the sun and 95 to 97 degrees at the lake last week. It stayed approx 80 degrees inside all day evev as the kids were in and out. I used a fan bloiwing down the hallway but it was plenty bareable. Ours is white, the last white 2015 on the lot. The main reason I bought it.
McFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #29

Additional Experience

One thing I didn't see mentioned here was the capability of the bathroom fan. I'm not sure of the current 8289s but our 2012 doesn't have heat or air ducted to the bathroom. On marginal days with the air conditioning, we keep the bathroom door close with it's fan running. That pulls lot's of hot air out. It is a three speed fan.

I regret that I don't have 50A service with just my one, 15K BTU A/C unit. If the 30A shore service breaker is weak, with the A/C and microwave running, that breaker will trip. (Yes, I have a 50A to 30A plug converter) If it's not weak and the above combination are running, and the water heater is activated, the the camper's 30A breaker will trip.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #30

Well we are looking at getting the same 5th wheel as the OP...so should I make sure it at least has the 15,000 btu AC unit in it? Please forgive me if I am not hip to all the ratings as of yet. Do most camp sites with hook ups only have 30 amp service? The 5th wheel we looked at only had one AC unit installed.

I was telling the wife about getting two Honda 2000 generators and run in parallel for the AC units but she said we would always be going to places with hook ups. (in my mind that will not always be the case especially when traveling and stopping off the side of the road etc.) A buddy of mine was saying you would have to at least have that to run the AC and the microwave at the same time.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceValium View Post
Well we are looking at getting the same 5th wheel as the OP...so should I make sure it at least has the 15,000 btu AC unit in it? Please forgive me if I am not hip to all the ratings as of yet. Do most camp sites with hook ups only have 30 amp service? The 5th wheel we looked at only had one AC unit installed.

I was telling the wife about getting two Honda 2000 generators and run in parallel for the AC units but she said we would always be going to places with hook ups. (in my mind that will not always be the case especially when traveling and stopping off the side of the road etc.) A buddy of mine was saying you would have to at least have that to run the AC and the microwave at the same time.
Of course, this all depends upon where you choose to camp. We've never been to a campground that didn't have at least 30A hookups. Most have 20A, 30A and 50A.

Even in upper 80 degree temperatures, our 15K BTU has trouble keeping up. Having a 50A service would be a basic choice for me, had I known what the combination of A/C. microwave and hair dryer/hot water heater/ toaster, or whatever higher draw appliance would draw.

I was surprised how such an advertised, insulated camper was seemingly, so poorly insulated. With the camper shut, the overnight temperature inside will only vary by one or two degrees. With heat or A/C running, closed cupboards/closets, are super cold or hot, respectively. I suspect if the camper had slide toppers, this wouldn't be nearly such an issue on the hot side.
robertew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #32

We have had the bedroom A/C go out on us every year for 2 years running (thankfully it was under warranty last year and replaced for free at the FROG Rally in Goshen this year.)

I say this because in both instances we camped in the Rig during some really hot days and never once were we uncomfortable. In 2014, it was over 4th of July (in AL ) with temps in the high 90'2. This year we were at the FROG Music City fest with heat indexes in the 100's.

I do agree with the poster who commented the cabinets get *hot*

Also I believe (but cannot confirm) that another difference between the 50AMP 2 A/C unit and the 30AMP 1 A/C is that the 50AMP puts in ducts for the A/C & we have an A/C duct in our bathroom.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote