Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

8289WS/Dodge 2500 CTD and Mountains

We just finished a 1200 mile jaunt over 8 or 9 of Colorado's passes and mountain roads. I have come to several conclusions.

This 5er is fun to pull over passes with my 2007 6.7 and exhaust brake. The light weight is very easy to handle and just cruises over the passes. with the exhaust brake engaged and the cruise set at 60 I never had to use the brakes coming down Eisenhaur or Vail pass. The truck and trailer proved to be a very nice compliment to one another.

I did lock up the Sidewinder and found that the trailer did handle a little nicer on some of the rougher windier roads. Sometimes it seemed to have a little extra sideways nudge on the truck going from one curve into another. This seemed much better with the hitch locked out. It was not atrocious or scary just a little annoying.

I had a problem with the umbilical cord getting hung up on the receiver hitch while backing into my spot at the RV park in Montrose. Tore all the wires loose and blew a fuse on my truck. Any suggestion for this would be appreciated. I don't like the idea of putting a hole in the box on my truck but if needed I will do that.

I have aften wished I had gone with a Ecoboost 1/2 ton because this truck is my daily commuter but I really appreciated the power and exhaust break, I will live with the expense of the diesel as my daily driver.
Overall I was very happy with the way everything performed.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

Just got done with our trip up and over Monarch on 50 and past Montrose down 550 to Ridgeway. Curious where you stayed in Montrose if we should ever return, did not see many parks there.

I think my trailer is actually heavier than yours, despite being a bumper pull. And I really appreciated the diesel power and braking. I do not have an exhaust brake, but still felt totally in control every moment. Hit some amazing winds, gusts well over 45 mph after coming down the far side on Monarch.

I think long term, you will be much happier every time you hook up your trailer with that Dodge.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #3

[QUOTE=jeepman71;418295]

I did lock up the Sidewinder and found that the trailer did handle a little nicer on some of the rougher windier roads. Sometimes it seemed to have a little extra sideways nudge on the truck going from one curve into another. This seemed much better with the hitch locked out. It was not atrocious or scary just a little annoying.

QUOTE]

That is interesting, as another poster claims that there is no effect whatsoever. Seems that not everyone is as honest as you.
I think you have a great setup, and dream one day of upgrading to a diesel Ram.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Thank you BAkkan. I actually searched for a 7.3. I have always been a fan of that motor. The earlier trans on the Ford and Dodge had a bit to be desired but that engine is tough. I do like the exhaust break.

Jeeplj8, we stayed at King River Bend Riverbend RV Park and Cabins .

When we made our reservations we were a bit concerned because the people seemed uninterested and annoyed by our call. When we got there we were pleasantly surprised. They were very nice people. We got a spot that backs up to the river. We were right on the edge of town and felt it was very secluded. I would recommend this campground.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #5

jeepman, the 7.3 is a great motor, but you have gobs more power than I.
We just got back from Cody, Wyoming, turning just over 3000 miles round trip. No real issues, even though we went through the Bighorns with their wicked grades. Just would have been nice to have a few more ponies now and then.
Have considered chipping it, but would hate to put too much stress on the old girl!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I have aften wished I had gone with a Ecoboost 1/2 ton because this truck is my daily commuter but I really appreciated the power and exhaust break, I will live with the expense of the diesel as my daily driver.
Overall I was very happy with the way everything performed.
I pull 8500# with no slow downs over mountains with my ecobeast. (420# torque and 365Hp) Also, the 6 speed Ford transmission set on Haul mode down shifts when it feels it's going down hill similar to your exhaust brake. It also has a manual mode where I hold the speed myself with the transmission. I get 20mpg traveling and 11 pulling the trailer and with a 36 gal tank, I have good range.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #7

The Ecoboost if definitley a nice truck.