Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

8289WS - Modifications

I will post information on the modifications that I make to my 8289WS in this thread.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

Converter Replacement Considerations

I considered installing the PD-9260 in the battery compartment, placing it closer to the batteries to shorten the DC wire run. However, the original converter is tied into the DC Distribution Panel with AWG 4 wires, providing a larger conductor for current flow when the converter is in operation and the DC loads are actually running off the converter.

The +12V DC wire running from the batteries to the converter, via the DC Distribution Panel, is AWG 6. If the converter were installed near the batteries, all DC loads would run through this AWG 6 wire between the batteries and the Power Distribution Panel. Replacing the AWG 6 wire with a larger conductor, while not impossible, would be difficult with regards to routing the wire, and would add at least 10 feet to the load wiring.

So I decided to replace the WFCO 8955 by installing the Progressive Dynamics PD-9260 in the same physical location.

Discussion/instructions for installation are in the next post.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Owner/Operator

PD-9260 Converter Installation

ENSURE THAT YOU DISCONNECT THE AC POWER FROM THE RV, AND OPEN THE BATTERY DISCONNECT BEFORE PROCEEDING.

Pictures for this Mod are in this link.

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: PD-9260 Converter Installation.

In my 2013 8289WS, the OEM WFCO 8955 Converter was mounted to the floor in the space between the back wall of the Power Distribution Panel (PDP) area and the Furnace. To access the Converter, remove the four mounting screws for the PDP face plate and then remove the face plate by lifting up the face plate. There are two tabs at the top of the face plate that slide down into recesses in the PDP Bezel, so you must lift up and not pull straight out. Next remove the four screws that mount the PDP Bezel to the cutout opening. Slowly pull the PDP out. The main AC power input cable is very stiff, and I temporarily removed a cable tie at
the rear of the PDP area to provide more freedom for the main AC cable.

If you look through the space where the PDP installs you will see the converter mounted to the floor between the rear wall of the PDP area and the furnace. My OEM converter was mounted to the floor with two screws on the far side of the converter. A mirror will allow you to locate the screws, and then it is a braille operation to remove the two screws.

Once the screws are out, you can pull the OEM converter through the rear opening into the PDP area to disconnect the two large AWG 4 wires that tie the converter into the PDP DC fuse buss. Make note of the +12V and Negative wire colors (normally Black 12v, and White Negative/Ground).

Unplug the OEM converter AC power plug from the rear of the PDP, and then completely remove the OEM converter.

Reverse the procedure to install the replacement converter.

I also purchased the Charge Wizard Remote Pendant for use with the PD-9260. I considered mounting the Pendant to the wall on the side or top of the PDP, but decided with the Surge Protector Remote Display and the 2025RV Battery Monitor already mounted around the PDP, it would be a bit too much. Physically mounting the Pendant with the double stick tape behind the swing down PDP access door was not possible, as the Pendant is too thick to allow the access door to close. I found that the Pendant will fit very comfortably at the bottom of DC Fuse area between the fuses and the front panel. This also allows you to see the Pendant LED to check the mode of operation if you look closely though the smoke colored window.

While I had the PDP out, I also installed a Progressive Industries Surge Protector, and added a 20A Circuit Breaker to the PDP for a Central Vacuum. Ran the wire for the Vacuum back through the rear of the PDP area to the Furnace area where I'll install a receptacle. The discussion/instructions are in the next post in this thread.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

Surge Protector Installation

ENSURE THAT YOU DISCONNECT THE AC POWER FROM THE RV, AND OPEN THE BATTERY DISCONNECT BEFORE PROCEEDING.

Installation of the Surge Protector (SP) is pretty straight forward. Pictures of the install are located here.

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Surge Protector Installation

Removal of the Power Distribution Panel (PDP) was discussed in the previous post for installing the converter. Refer to that post on how to remove the PDP. If you are going to mount the Remote Display above the PDP, mark the wall where the upper edge of the PDP front panel meets the wall so that you will know where to drill the hole for the Remote Panel wire.

I removed the wall panel in the under storage to obtain more light in the area, and also because I'm also installing a Central Vacuum System and will need access to that area above the furnace. You do not need to remove the panel in the under storage to install the SP.

Remove the two AC input wires (Red and Black) from the 50A Main Circuit Breaker. The #2 Square head, and the flat tip slot on one of my circuit breakers was damaged when they installed the Main Circuit Breaker. I could not get that wire out, and had to cut the wire at the Circuit Breaker. I purchase a replacement at a local hardware store. Take the old breaker with you if you need to do this, to ensure that you obtain a Circuit Breaker that fits.

Next remove the White Neutral wire from the Neutral Buss in the PDP, and remove the bare Ground Wire from the Ground Buss. Loosen the cable retaining clamp on the rear of the PDP, and pull the input cable from the PDP. If you have temporarily removed the cable tie at the rear of the PDP area, you should have enough slack in the input power cable to pull it out the front of the PDP opening, allowing you to make the connections out in the open.

You will need about a two foot length of power cable to install between the output of the SP and the input to the PDP. I had a length of SOOW 6/4 cable available, and while working with the finer copper stranded wire was a bit difficult, the flexibility of the SOOW cable helped when re-installing the PDP.

Connect the RV power input cable to the SP as described in the SP instructions. I crimped, and then soldered the Ground wire to the provided Wire Lug, as it is difficult to get a good connection to the small ground wire by crimping alone.

Dress (strip) the wires for the output of the SP, install the current sensors on the Red and Black wires as described in the SP instructions ensuring that the arrows on the sensors are toward the SP contactor. After crimping, I also soldered the Ground Wire to the provided Wire Lug for the output cable. Instructions state that you should NOT solder or tin the AC and Neutral wires (Red, Black, and White). I stripped the output wires so that the input and output ground connection could all be made to one ground screw that was already present in the SP. Secure the input and output cable to the SP with the cable clamps that are pre-installed on the SP enclosure to absorb any stress on the cables.

Remove the two small Phillips screws on the plastic cover over the contactor, and check for any foreign matter in the contactor area per the instructions. Then replace the plastic cover on the contactor. Now install the cover on the SP.

Now you can install the output of the SP to the PDP. Strip and dress the wires so that they will reach the intended connections. Black and Red wires to the 50A Main Circuit Breaker. Ground to the Ground Buss, and the White wire to the Neutral Buss.

I attached the remote display, and applied power to the RV before physically installing the SP, to ensure that all worked as expected. After the test, REMOVE THE AC POWER FROM THE RV, and then install the surge protector inside the PDP area. I mounted the SP to the outside wall towards the rear of the PDP area. Replace the cable tie (if you removed it) for the original input power cable. I drilled a 1/2" hole on the line that I marked on the wall at the top of the PDP before removing the PDP. I drilled right on that line, as half of the hole can be behind the PDP front panel leaving enough room for the small cable once the cable connector is pushed through the hole. Once the PDP is re-installed, I mounted the Remote display above the PDP.

Done Deal!

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Owner/Operator

TM-2025RV Installation

Pictures relating to this modification can be found here:

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: TM-2025RV Installation

I installed the wiring for the Bogart Engineering Tri-Metric Model TM-2025RV at the same time I did the Surge Protector installation, as it made it easier to run the wires through the under storage between the front battery compartment and the wall on which the Power Distribution Panel (PDP) mounts.

If you are doing a separate TM-2025RV installation, you will have to pull out the PDP to run the required wires.

I used some two pair AWG 22 overhead telephone wire that I had on hand. It is very rugged, and probably an overkill, but it is routed suck that it does not show. Any four conductor wire with AWG 22 (good for up to a 110' run) conductors will do.

Start by physically mounting the box into which the TM-2025RV itself is mounted. Once the box is mounted, drill a hole through the rear of the box, continuing through the wall, large enough for the four conductor wire with it's insulation.

Next in the front battery compartment use a very small drill bit to test where the hole drilled from the battery compartment will come out in the under storage area. I drilled right next to the upright frame member about 6" down from the ceiling of the battery compartment. This placed the hole just below the aluminum framing in the under storage. CAUTION: as shown in the picture there are water lines in the area where the hole will come out. Drill carefully.

Feed the wire from the battery compartment, through the under storage, and over the rear wall (removed in the pictures) of the storage compartment. From here it can be routed over to the PDP area, and then fed through the hole drilled in the back of the TM-2025RV mounting box. Use cable clamps to prevent the wire from drooping down into the under storage area where it runs along the aluminum floor joist.

At the TM-2025RV mounting box, strip the wires and attach them to the G1, G2, SIG, and B1+ terminals of the TM-2025RV. If you are going to monitor a second Battery or a Solar Panel voltage, you will need to have a fifth wire and connect it to the B2+ terminal. Make note (write down) the colors of the wires attached to each terminal. You can install the TM-2025RV itself into the mounting box at this time.

At the battery compartment, mount the Shunt. I mounted the Shunt to the frame, since that location is both close to the batteries and the cable from the RV-2025RV. Ensure that the Kelvin Terminals (the screws to which the wires will attach) are located so that you can access them when attaching the wires.

I replaced the negative battery wire which ran from the battery to the chassis frame with a larger cable. I also relocated the point at which it connects the the frame to shorten the cable. The only cable connected to this side of the Shunt should be the cable that attaches to the frame.

Next strip and attach the wires from the TM-2025RV terminals G1 and G2, and attach both of the wires to the Kelvin Terminal on the side of the Shunt that attaches to the frame. I used wire lugs, and both crimped and soldered the wires to the lug, as it is easier than trying to wrap the two wires around the Kelvin Terminal. This is the only point at which the G1 and G2 wires should join.

Now strip and attach the SIG wire to Kelvin Terminal on the other side of the Shunt. This should be the side of the Shunt that will attach to the Negative Terminal of the batteries.

The fourth wire (B1+) will connect to +12 Volts. I connected this wire to the Battery side of the disconnect switch, so that the TM-2025RV has power at all times. This preserves any historical data in the TM-2025RV. The TM-2025RV has a very low power requirement of 32mA (.032 Amps) when the display is lit, and 16mA (.016 Amps) with the display off. So battery drain is minimal.

Next connect the Battery negative to the Shunt, and you're ready to program the TM-2025RV as described in the Installer and User Instruction.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
Owner/Operator

Central Vacuum Installation

While disconnecting the 110V Input to the RV, and disconnecting the Battery "may" not be required to perform this mod, it is recommended that you do this in the event that a wire is nicked during the installation.

Pictures of this installation are located here:

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Central Vacuum Installation

I found that a convenient location for the Central Vacuum unit is above the furnace, just inside the street side storage door. In this location it is easy to change the bag, and access the motor filter for cleaning. It also places the unit where the input hose duct can be routed to the area behind the steps without sharp bends, improving efficiency.

My initial thoughts were to mount the unit so that it was flush with the rear wall of the under storage area, and this can be done if two brackets are fabricated. However, if the existing frame for the rear wall is used as one of the mounting brackets, it results in a much more rigid installation. When the wall frame is used, the unit protrudes about four inches into the storage area, but it does not stick out into the storage door opening.

Measure from the ceiling of the storage area (actually the bottom of the floor above) to the top of the existing wall frame. Cut two pieces of aluminum angle that is the width of the cross piece angle longer than the measured distance. The angle piece for the right hanging bracket, which is installed on the far side of the floor joist due to the pipe on the near side, may have to be notched, as there is a floor register on the far side of the joist.

You can assemble the bracket (cross piece and two hanging supports) but before mounting the bracket it is easier to drill the mounting holes for the Vacuum in the cross piece.

On the Vacuum Unit, to fit it into the opening between the wall frame and the ceiling, I had to straighten the bottom mounting bracket tabs so that they were flush with the bottom of the unit. These four mounting points (two in front, two in rear) are 9-3/4" apart front to rear.

So if the front mounting tabs are bolted to the wall frame, the center of the rear mounting bracket needs to be 9-3/4" behind the center of the wall frame.

Without the rear mounting bracket installed, slide the unit in place between the wall frame and the ceiling, supporting the rear of the unit. I had to remove the storage area light attached to the ceiling to be able to put the unit in place. Determine how far from the side wall you want the unit. Mark the wall frame where the mounting tab holes are. Remove the unit, and drill the holes in the wall frame for the bolts that will secure the mounting tabs.

Now measure the distance from the wall to each of the two holes you just drilled, and drill two holes in the rear frame the same distance from the edge that will be next to the wall.

You can now install the rear mounting bracket, ensuring that it is 9-3/4" behind the wall frame (measuring on center).

Slide the Vacuum Unit into position, and bolt the unit to the wall frame and rear bracket. You can now attach the input duct hose, and route it with the least amount of bends to the area behind the steps leading to the bath/bedroom.

Now inside the RV, remove the return grille between the first and second step, to gain access to the rear of the riser panel on the left of the steps. Position the backplate for the vacuum hose plate, where you desire to mount the plate. Mark the top, bottom, and sides of bends in the backplate on the wall, and then cut out the square into which the backplate will fit (from the rear).

Cut the input duct hose to the proper length, and then assemble it to the backplate. Now route the switch wires (which are attached to the Vacuum unit) to the area behind the steps. I had to extend the wires, as they did not reach the point where the plate is mounted.

Run the switch wires through the upper opening in the backplate and insert them into the switch holes on the front bezel. Now hold the backplate in position, and mount the front bezel to the backing plate. The screws that were provided were not long enough to mount the front bezel, and I had to substitute longer screws due to the thickness of the riser.

You're finished with the inside work, and can replace the return grille.

Go back to the under storage area, plug the Vacuum Unit into the 110V AC receptacle that is on the front under storage area wall. Plug in the RV to shore power, and test the vacuum. Ensure that you have installed a bag in the vacuum, and you can use the vacuum to clean up the sawdust from cutting the step riser hole.

When I installed the Surge Protector (covered in an earlier post) I also added a 15 Amp Circuit Breaker to the Power Distribution Panel for the Central Vacuum. The Vacuum draws 5 Amps Average, and 11.3 Amps Peak. You can just plug the Vacuum into the receptacle in the under storage, but be aware of the load when vacuuming. You may have to turn of other items in the RV.

The final task is to cut the rear under storage wall to fit around the Vacuum, and a portion of the hose on the right side. I removed the staples that held the felt material to the back of the wall, and peeled the felt down the front enough to make the cuts. You can stand the wall at an angle against the wall frame and mark the Vacuum location, or you can measure twice and cut once. LOL. After you've cut the wall and checked for fit, trim the felt, glue it back in place, and staple the back side as it was when you started.

Install the wall, and you're done.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
Owner/Operator

Front Awning Remote Installation

AS A SAFETY PRECAUTION, DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES WHEN PERFORMING THIS MODIFICATION

Pictures of the Front Awning Remote Installation can be found here:

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Front Awning Remote Installation

I ran a new 12V DC line from the Power Distribution Panel, and put the
Remote on it's own fuse. I will also use this circuit when I install the LED strips under the Awning, so the circuit will have a dual purpose.
You can use the 12V DC that supplies the light in the under storage area if you do not want to run a separate circuit. In that case, skip the next paragraph and use the Black wire going to the light to obtain +12 Volts for the Remote.

To install a separate +12 Volt circuit, remove the Power Distribution Panel (PDP) front bezel. There are three unused fuse holders at the bottom of the +12 Volt Buss, and you can use anyone. Feed a wire through the rear opening of the PDP where the other +12 wires exit the PDP. Now the fun part. Fish that wire into the under storage area routing it above the furnace. Secure the wire to the ceiling with cable clamps to keep it off the furnace. Attach the end of the wire to a terminal to the right of vacant fuse.

DO NOT install a fuse at this time.

The motor wires for the front awning run just inside the under storage door along the ceiling. Mine were crimp connected to the wires that come down and into the RV from the motor. I cut the wires at the crimp connection, which left enough wire running up to the crimps to go to the Remote Box. I extended the Awning Motor wires with crimp butt connectors, adding enough wire to reach the Switch area. I used cable clamps to keep the wire extensions up at ceiling level.

I used two switches in the installation. A Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch to select either the OEM Awning Operation Switch inside the RV, or the Remote Box. The DPDT Switch that I used also has a Center OFF position, so I can completely disable the Awning if desired. The second switch is a Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) switch to turn the power off to the Remote Box. I did not measure the current draw of the Remote Box when only the receiver is in operation, but know that there will be NO battery drain with it turned off.

Wiring of the Remote Box is pretty straight forward. The original wires that were extended from the Awning Motor are attached to the center contacts of the DPDT Switch. The original wire that used to connect to the Awning Motor (the ones that you cut at the crimp connectors) attach to one side of the DPDT Switch. The Yellow and Blue wires from the Remote Box connect to the other side of the DPDT Switch.

Run whatever you are using for +12V (the new circuit wire from the PDP, or a wire tapped into the Black wire of the ceiling light) to one of the terminals on the SPST Switch. Attach the Remote Box Red wire to the other terminal of the SPST Switch. To obtain a Ground for the Remote Box, I crimped a spade lug on the Remote Box Black wire, and secured it to the frame with a self tapping screw above where the Remote Box is mounted.

I mounted the Remote Box to the rear under storage wall between the Central Vacuum and the wall, with the wires coming out of the Remote Box next to the wall. Having the Remote Box wires next to the wall permits the Green Remote Box Antenna wire to be run down the wall in the corner, giving it the best reception.

If you have run a new +12 Volt circuit for the Remote Box, install a fuse in the PDP for that circuit now.

Connect the batteries. Place the DPDT Switch in the OEM Awning Switch position, and test the operation of the Awning using the original Awning Switch inside the RV. Now select the Remote Box with the DPDT Switch, ensure that the SPST Switch is on to provide power to the Remote Box, and test the operation of the Awning using the Remote Fob.

After I have extended or retracted the Awning, I place the DPDT Switch in the center OFF position, and turn off the Remote Box with the SPST Switch to prevent activation of the Remote Box & Awning by any stray signals.

When you operate the Awning with the Remote Box, you can move around outside the RV to determine the distance you can get from the Remote Box. As you approach the limit, the Awning operation will stutter as the signal is lost.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
Owner/Operator

AC Receptacle near table for computer

ENSURE THAT YOU DISCONNECT THE AC POWER FROM THE RV BEFORE PROCEEDING.

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Receptacle near Table for Computer

The closest AC receptacle for anything placed on the table was in the left side of the TV cabinet. Running a power cord from the existing receptacle, besides looking terrible, also interfered with the chairs on the left side of the table.

My solution was to install an AC receptacle on the right side wall of the TV cabinet near the floor.

To accomplish this, remove the panel inside the lower doors of the TV Cabinet. The panel which also blocks the output of the Sub Woofer (See that mod for solution). Behind the panel is the Sub Woofer enclosure, which is mounted with two angle brackets. Remove the screws mounting the angle brackets to the floor and the right side wall. Move the Sub Woofer enclosure out of the way.

Behind the Sub Woofer enclosure you will find some DC wiring, the place where the Power Awning wire exits to the awning, the LP Hose for the outside BBQ, and the AC power cable that brings the AC into the Slideout.

The AC enters the Slideout, and immediately connects to a yellow/clear plug and jack. The clear plug then carries the AC through romex to the outside AC Receptacle. The romex also loops out of this receptacle and goes up into the TV cabinet to supply AC to the TV receptacle (behind the TV and to the receptacle inside the TV cabinet just to the right of the DVD Player.

I installed a junction box on the floor at a location where I could cut and feed both ends of the romex a short distance from the plug and jack. I then inserted a new length of romex that carries the AC to the new Receptacle. Wire nut the Ground, Neutral, and Hot wires from each of the three romex ends together (3 bare grounds together, 3 white neutrals together, 3 Black hoe leads together). Push the three sets of connections into the Junction Box and put the lid on the box.

Cut a hole in the right side wall of the TV cabinet in the location where you want the new receptacle. The right side wall has two panels, the inner and outer, with about 1" between the two walls, so when you cut the hole you will need to cut through both pieces of paneling.

Push the new length of romex through the hole, insert the wires into the new receptacle, and then mount the Receptacle into the wall.

Check the new receptacle with a circuit tester that ensures proper polarity and ground.

Replace the Sub Woofer enclosure.

Replace the panel in the lower storage area.

If you desire to eliminate the panel that sits right in front of the Sub Woofer, measure and mark the panel where it meets the left side of the Sub Woofer enclosure. Cut the panel at the mark. When I cut the panel, there was only one mounting screw left in the remaining section. I drilled new holes through the 1X1 and used two screws to re-mount the remaining section of panel.

If you expose the Sub Woofer in this manner, some sort of grille should be placed in front of the Sub Woofer Speaker. I found some black aluminum grill at Lowes and Home Depot that will work.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
Owner/Operator

Remove Panel blocking the Sub Woofer

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Sub Woofer blocked by panel

The panel in the bottom of the TV Cabinet is installed right in front of the Sub Woofer, muffling the output of the Sub Woofer.

To solve this, loosen the panel, which is mounted to the floor with two screws through the 1X1 to which the panel is stapled.

Measure and mark the panel where it meets the Sub Woofer enclosure (the left side of the Sub Woofer enclosure).

Remove the panel, and cut it where marked.

The location of the screws that mounted the panel to the floor was such that only one screw remained in the 1X1. I drilled two new holes in the 1X1 so that I could reinstall it with two screws.

Place the cut panel in place to the left of the Sub Woofer enclosure, and mount it to the floor.

If you expose the Sub Woofer in this manner, some sort of grille should be placed in front of the Sub Woofer Speaker. I found some black aluminum grill at Lowes and Home Depot that will work.

The removed section of panel works perfect as a wall for the "Under Microwave Storage" covered in another post.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
Owner/Operator

Under Microwave Storage in lower cabinet

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Under Microwave Storage in lower section

The lower portion of the cabinet below the Microwave as a panel on the left, and a "false" door on the right. I say false door, because on the handle (right) side of the door there is a single hinge which prevents the door from opening unless the hinge screws are removed.

There is some useful storage behind the door, providing that protection is provided for the plumbing at the rear of the Water Heater.

I used the piece of panel that I removed in the Sub Woofer mod to install a wall behind the Water Heater.

I then removed the hinge on the right side of the door, and installed a roller catch (see pictures).

I now have the ideal area to store the Central Vacuum hose and attachments. And the Central Vacuum inlet is just to the right of this cabinet on the second step riser.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Sub Woofer blocked by panel

The panel in the bottom of the TV Cabinet is installed right in front of the Sub Woofer, muffling the output of the Sub Woofer.

To solve this, loosen the panel, which is mounted to the floor with two screws through the 1X1 to which the panel is stapled.

Measure and mark the panel where it meets the Sub Woofer enclosure (the left side of the Sub Woofer enclosure).

Remove the panel, and cut it where marked.

The location of the screws that mounted the panel to the floor was such that only one screw remained in the 1X1. I drilled two new holes in the 1X1 so that I could reinstall it with two screws.

Place the cut panel in place to the left of the Sub Woofer enclosure, and mount it to the floor.

The removed section of panel works perfect as a wall for the "Under Microwave Storage" covered in another post.

RodeoGeorge
This is pretty wild RodeoGeorge. I have the same setup except there is a devider between the cabinet on the left and the area where the sub woofer is. You can see the sub woofer in mine similar to how yours is now.

Looks like someone goofed on the assembly line.

Jim
Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #12
Owner/Operator

Trojan Battery Installation

Pictures are in my Miscellaneous Mod Album:

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Miscellaneous Mods

I replaced the OEM Batteries with Trojan SCS225 12V Batteries. These are 130 Amp Hour Batteries, so with the pair I have 260 Amp Hours available.

While at it, I also rewired the 12V circuits in the front battery compartment, and installed a Battery Disconnect Switch.

I fabricated the Battery Box Vents from excess Central Vacuum hose that I had available.

I also installed the JWP Quik-Fill battery water kit. Now it's just a few pumps the first of each month to ensure the batteries are topped off.

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #13
Owner/Operator

Storage Compartment Lighting

I have never liked the limited lighting in the Thru-Storage. The single OEM Light on the right side sheds little to no light on the left side. And when I do need light, it seems that I'm always on the left side of the RV, and have to walk around to the right side to turn that light on.

I had some White LED Strip lighting laying around, and decided a good use would be inside the storage area. I attached two strips in the storage area to floor joists located about 1/3 of the way from each side of the storage area.

I then wired two Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switches to make a two way circuit. You can PM me if you want to know how to wire the switches. I mounted a switch on each side of the storage area to the rear wall, and powered the LED Lights from the same circuit that I installed for the RF Awning Remote and Awning LED Lights.

You can power the LED Lights with the 12V that supplies the existing OEM Light.

The pictures in the my Miscellaneous Mods Album speak for themselves.

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
Owner/Operator

Ultra Fab Eliminator Stabilizer Installation

The installation went smoother than I anticipated. About 4 hours, but that included a lot of "measure twice, drill once".

The front stabilizers that run toward the rear of the RV wound up mounting 30" to the rear of the landing gear legs. This measurement places them beneath the under storage doors on each side. Inside the storage doors there is a black vinyl insert on each side which, when removed, permits access to the upper side of the frame lip to which I attached the mounts. This permitted a much more solid installation than using the self tapping screws provided, as washers and nylock nuts could be used.

The front stabilizers that run toward the center of the RV were mounted at the very front of the front storage floor. This is where the metal floor material bends up, providing a solid mount point. There is a vinyl skirt on the front below the storage door that wraps under the floor. It is about 3/8" below the floor, so I inserted two stiffener spacers between the vinyl and the floor to prevent pulling the vinyl up to the floor when the eye mounts were tightened. I also used a stiffener on the inside of the storage compartment for added strength.

The installation instruction show the rear stabilizers running toward the center rear of the RV. This, in my opinion would provide good side-to-side stability, however the design of the power rear stabilizers already provides good side-to-side stability. For that reason, I mounted mine going forward to provide better front-to-back stability. The frame is readily accessible through the slide out areas. I used a stiffener above and below the mounting points, with the eye bolt through one hole and a bolt through the second hole. A Slide Out mechanism assembly is located on the left side under the Slide Out that required the threads on the eye bolt to shortened (hack sawed off about 1") to clear the mechanism. You can see the original length of the eye bolt on the right rear picture.

Pleased with the stability provided by the Eliminators. Still have to get the wife to lay in bed while I walk around to pass the final "test".

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #15
Owner/Operator

Step Light Enhancement

I had some single color (White) LED Strips laying around. The wife mentioned that the OEM Step Light shed very little light on the steps for the dogs. This mod was a snap.

Unscrewed the existing Step Light, drilled a small hole in the right side of the step well and fished a pair of wires through the hole and out the existing step light hole.

Connected the wires to the existing Step Light wires, through a 1 Amp fuse. Replaced the OEM Step Light.

Connected the wires to the LED Strip (observe polarity) and attached the LED Strip to the back of the step well using the 3M adhesive on the back of the LED Strip. Applied silicone to the ends, and one dab in the middle of the LED Strip.

Done deal.

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
Owner/Operator

Rear (Slide Out) Awning Remote Installation

Picture of the switches is located here:

Forest River Forums - RodeoGeorge's Album: Front & Rear Awning Remote Installation

Sorry that I did not get pictures of the actual installation, but it went so fast that it was finished when I thought about the camera. I think the write up on the procedure will provide sufficient detail.

Find the fuse that controls the Antenna Amplifier Power Supply and Slide Out Awning, and remove the fuse.

On the 8289WS this mod is simple, because all circuitry required is accessible through the opening that the Stereo is mounted in.

Remove Stereo outer bezel by slowly prying it from the stereo unit itself. Work around the bezel, being sure to not bend it more than required, as it could crack. When the bezel is off, you will see the mounting screws for the stereo (Mine were two at the top, and two at the bottom). Remove the screws and slide the stereo out of the opening. I opened the door below the stereo and set it in that opening. The wires were long enough to do this.

Next remove the existing OEM Awning Switch, and pull it and the wire out a bit. Make note (a drawing) of how the wires are attached to the switch. On mine, the red/white pair are the input power to the switch. If you pull on the wire a bit, you can find where they come down into the space behind the Stereo. They attach to the power input for the TV Amplifier Power Supply, and a green/white pair leaves the power supply and goes down to the wire bundle behind the Sub Woofer. Just a FYI and not required for this mod.

I drilled a hole below and slightly to the right of the OEM Awning Switch to mount a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switch that will select either the OEM Awning Control or the RF Remote. I used a DPDT switch with a center off position, but this is not a requirement. Picture of the location is in the Album link listed above. I did not mount the switch until all the wires were connected, and did all the wiring with the switch outside the wall.

Make a pair of jumper wires about 12" long with female spade lugs on each end. Remove the second pair of wires (NOT the Power Input Wires, mine were a black/white pair) from the OEM Awning Switch, and attach them to the center contacts of the Local/Remote DPDT switch. These are the wires that run to the Awning motor. Use the jumper wires you made to a attach one side of the DPDT switch to the now vacant terminals on the OEM Awning switch.

Make a second pair of jumper wires about 30" long with female spade lugs on one end. Mark the other end "Motor Control". Thread the wire through the hole that the OEM Awning Switch was mounted in, down to the area behind the Stereo. Attach the spade lugs to the remaining set of contacts on the DPDT switch.

At this point, you can test the operation of the OEM Awning operation by replacing the fuse in the power panel, selecting the OEM switch with the DPDT switch, and operate the awning with the OEM Awning Switch. This will verify that the wiring of the DPDT switch is correct.

Remove the fuse for the circuit after verification.

Drill a hole to the right of the OEM Antenna switch to mount a Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) switch to control power to the RF Remote unit. Again, I did not mount the switch until it was wired.

Make a third pair of jumper wires about 30" long with female spade lugs on one end. Mark the other end "RF Power Switch" Attach the third pair of wires (the end with the female spade lugs) to the SPST power switch. Thread the wire through the hole that the OEM Awning Switch was mounted in, down to the area behind the Stereo.

Now reach up through the Stereo opening, push the SPST switch through the OEM Awning switch opening, and mount it into the hole to the right of the OEM Antenna switch.

Next reach up through the Stereo opening, push the DPDT switch with the six wires attached through the OEM Awning switch opening, and mount it into the hole below and to the right of the OEM Awning switch.

Next remount the OEM Awning Switch.

The remainder of the installation is done in the Stereo opening.

Splice one of the "RF Power Switch" wires into the red wire (attached to the Antenna Amplifier Power Supply) that runs up to the OEM Awning switch through a 2 Amp fuse. I used a wire tap to do this. The second "RF Power Switch" wire connects to the RED wire on the RF Remote.

Splice the Black wire on the RF Remote to the white wire that is paired up with the red wire. This is the ground for the RF Remote.

Splice one of the "Motor Control" wires to the blue wire on the RF Remote.

Splice the other "Motor Control" wire to the yellow wire on the RF Remote.

I then just pushed the RF Remote to the back of the Stereo opening.
Replace the fuse in the power panel, and check the operation of the Awning using both the OEM Awning Switch by selecting the OEM Switch with the DPDT switch, and then the RF Remote by selecting the RF Remote with the DPDT switch and turning the power on with the SPST RF Remote Power Switch.

If all function properly, reinstall the Stereo. Check the three wiring harness plugs on the rear of the Stereo to ensure that they did not pull out when you removed the Stereo. After I reinstalled my stereo, the outside and bedroom speakers did not work, and I found that one of the connectors had pulled out of the Stereo.

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #17
Owner/Operator

Better Stereo System Antenna - Built In

I have my RV parked inside a Steel Storage Building, and I realize that has a major impact on FM Radio Reception. Even taking that into consideration, I was displeased with the reception of the Genesis GT-3.0.

When I used the Auto Tune function, the FM radio would receive only 3 very weak (noisy) stations, and I could not receive the Weather Broadcasts.

The solution for better FM and Weather reception is built into the RV. The Off Air TV Antenna with Amplifier.

We do not have a TV in the bedroom, and do not use the outside Antenna Connection, so using one of these outputs from the TV Antenna for the Stereo was a logical idea.

On the rear of the TV Antenna Amplifier Power Supply there are three coax connections. One is the input from the roof antenna, the second is the input from the Cable Input jack on the outside of the RV, and the third is the output to the bedroom.

On my 8289WS, the output to the bedroom goes to a three way splitter, the outputs of which go to the Main TV, the bedroom TV jack, and the outside TV jack located in the storage compartment.

I identified the coax that goes to the bedroom jack. You could also use the coax that goes to the outside/storage compartment jack. Disconnected that coax and used a short piece of coax to connect the TV Antenna to the Stereo.

The difficult part is finding a Type F to Automobile Antenna Plug adapter. I have a box of various adapters (from Amateur Radio hobby) and was able to make an adapter with what I had on hand.

After connecting the TV Antenna to the Stereo, inside the steel building I was able to use the Auto Tune to find 9 solid FM stations, and I receive 2 Weather Broadcasts. This was with the Antenna Amplifier turned on. I received 5 Stations (no Weather) with the Antenna Amplifier turned off.

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #18

Where is the antenna amplifier located?
albuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
Owner/Operator

The amplifier itself is in the head of the roof antenna. It is powered by 12V that goes up the center conductor of the coax to the roof antenna.

The Power Supply for the antenna amplifier is part of the wall plate that is in the recess under the TV on the left side. It is the plate with the small push button ON/OFF switch and a green light. It also has a Type F connector on it for a TV, as well as (in my case) the input Type F connector for the Satellite Receiver input (from the outside satellite connector at the left rear of the RV).

Behind this wall plate there is a small circuit board with the Power Supply itself, and three more coax connectors (Antenna, Cable, and 2nd TV). The 2nd TV connector is normally for a TV in the bedroom.

Rockwood did not use the front connector on the plate for the main TV, but rather put a 3 way splitter on the 2nd TV connector on the back of the power supply and distributed the signal to the main TV through a coax that runs up behind the wall on which the main TV is mounted comes out a hole behind the TV and connects to the Antenna Input jack. The other two coax on the splitter go to the bedroom and a connector just inside the right storage compartment door (for connecting a TV outside).

Since I do not have a TV in the bedroom, and do not watch TV outside, I could have used either of these outputs from the splitter to supply a signal to the Stereo.

I did find a source to the Type F to Motorola (car antenna connector). The cable is 36" long, but can just be rolled up. Here's the link.

Motorola to F Connector 36'' Cable | 10TV110 | Distributed By MCM

Hope this helps.

RodeoGeorge
Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
The amplifier itself is in the head of the roof antenna. It is powered by 12V that goes up the center conductor of the coax to the roof antenna.

The Power Supply for the antenna amplifier is part of the wall plate that is in the recess under the TV on the left side. It is the plate with the small push button ON/OFF switch and a green light. It also has a Type F connector on it for a TV, as well as (in my case) the input Type F connector for the Satellite Receiver input (from the outside satellite connector at the left rear of the RV).

Behind this wall plate there is a small circuit board with the Power Supply itself, and three more coax connectors (Antenna, Cable, and 2nd TV). The 2nd TV connector is normally for a TV in the bedroom.

Rockwood did not use the front connector on the plate for the main TV, but rather put a 3 way splitter on the 2nd TV connector on the back of the power supply and distributed the signal to the main TV through a coax that runs up behind the wall on which the main TV is mounted comes out a hole behind the TV and connects to the Antenna Input jack. The other two coax on the splitter go to the bedroom and a connector just inside the right storage compartment door (for connecting a TV outside).

Since I do not have a TV in the bedroom, and do not watch TV outside, I could have used either of these outputs from the splitter to supply a signal to the Stereo.

I did find a source to the Type F to Motorola (car antenna connector). The cable is 36" long, but can just be rolled up. Here's the link.

Motorola to F Connector 36'' Cable | 10TV110 | Distributed By MCM

Hope this helps.

RodeoGeorge
Thanks RodeoGeorge I now have 18 channels siting in my driveway.
Did not know that button was there.
albuilder is offline   Reply With Quote