Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Owner/Operator

8289WS Ordered

We ordered a Rockwood 8289WS through a local dealer on 1/16/2013, and received confirmation 5 days later from Forest River that the order had been accepted with a 6-8 delivery time to our dealer.

We loaded it up pretty good with the "F" Package, Diamond Package, Dual A/C & 50 Amp Service, Slide Covers, etc. The only two items we did not order are the Stainless Appliances (got the raised wood doors on the Fridge) and the Lazy Boy Recliners. Could not justify $800 for the recliners. They are heavy and hard to handle.

In place of the Lazy Boys, we'll pull out the standard chairs and purchase one recliner to put in there. The wife is always on the sofa with the dogs, and I'm normally at the table on the computer, so besides the weight the Lazy Boys would have been a waste for US.

Now to get a B&W Companion Flatbed hitch headed this way, and start removing what I'm taking off the Weekend Warrior that I'm trading (Auto Drain Valves, Levels, Colibert Gooseneck Adapter, etc.).

Also need to order a TPMS, Central Vacuum System, and 2 or 3 Optima Blue Top Batteries. Nice to have some time to seek good prices.

Timing should be good, as the 20 degree temps here normally are back up into the 50s-60s in March. Might even get a trip in before heading back out on the Rodeo Circuit.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

Congrats on your new Rockwood 8289WS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #3

Congrats on your new camper! You'll love it. I had a Flagstaff (twin to the Rockwood) before the one I have now and loved it. Sometimes I wish I still had it because I could take it anywhere I wanted to. The one I have now is so long I can't into some sites in the state parks we like to frequent, lol.

One word of caution, depending on your layout, my Flagstaff had the small La-Z-Boys in it. One of them had to be turned sideways to get the slideroom in. You will need to measure before you buy a recliner for yours to make sure that a) it will pass through the entry door, and b) that the slide will come in.

Hope you have a ball with your new rig!
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new camper. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have ours. You'll be counting down on the calender.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #5

Rodeo George
Congrats on the new unit. We purchased the same model last year and have really enjoyed it.

First season was fairly uneventful, only real issue was the furnace which to me wasn't a huge issue however my wife can wear a parka whne its 80 degrees outside.

Let me know if I can answer any questions

Russ

2012 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Diesel
2013 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8289WS
midlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
garry

How did you order the dual ac and 50 amp for your 8289. I did not know that Rockwood would do that. I have been looking at that same model but my dealer told me we could not get it that way.

Garry
2011 Ford F250 Lariet 6.2l 3.73gears
camperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
Owner/Operator

I found out about that option on the RVW site. It is not listed in the Rockwood Brochure, however I had my dealer check with their factory rep, and it IS available.

I particularly wanted the second A/C, and that cannot be installed with 30A service, so the 50A service goes with the option.

You might want to take a second look at what dealer you're using. They obviously are not talking to the factory.

RodeoGeorge
Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
garry

I will look at another dealer. The one dealer I bought my last 2 campers from closed shop this year and we have been looking around for one. Thought we had found them but it looks like we keep looking.
Thanks
Garry
2011 Ford F250 Lariet 6.2l 3.73gears
camperdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #9

I have the same unit but not the Diamond package. We are very pleased with ours. Good choice on the 2 nd a/c and the 50 amp power pack. If you can upgrade to a better tire yours will come with Trail Express 50psi and c rated. It really needs D rated, The C rated barely make the weight limit.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have the same unit but not the Diamond package. We are very pleased with ours. Good choice on the 2 nd a/c and the 50 amp power pack. If you can upgrade to a better tire yours will come with Trail Express 50psi and c rated. It really needs D rated, The C rated barely make the weight limit.
The tires are already in the budget. Going to E rated. Not sure which brand, but many forum members are running maxxis, so might go that route. Will not need to go to the max pressure for the E rating, but I'm hoping that the rims are rated for at least 65 psi. And the TST TPMS is sitting on the workbench.

Second battery, and window awnings also in the budget, as well as a central vacuum system.

RodeoGeorge
Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
The tires are already in the budget. Going to E rated. Not sure which brand, but many forum members are running maxxis, so might go that route. Will not need to go to the max pressure for the E rating, but I'm hoping that the rims are rated for at least 65 psi. And the TST TPMS is sitting on the workbench.

RodeoGeorge
We have a similar camper, and the rims are good for 65 psi.
We changed over to D-rated Maxxis.
Because the camper isn't all that heavy, I only put 57-58 psi in the tires, and they run up to 65 psi on the hottest days.
I could run 65 psi cold, but checked the weight tables, and it wasn't necessary.
Sure feel a lot better about changing out the factory C-rated tires, as they were maxed out, as another poster pointed out.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:

Second battery, and window awnings also in the budget, as well as a central vacuum system.

RodeoGeorge
I went with Marathon (Good Year) My cold pressure rating is 65lbs. They fit on the same rim that came with the unit.....

Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I went with Marathon (Good Year) My cold pressure rating is 65lbs. They fit on the same rim that came with the unit.....
I hear that the Marathons are being made in the US again?
That would be good.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I hear that the Marathons are being made in the US again?
That would be good.
You have heard wrong, The ST are made in China. They do come with DOT stamp. About 6mos. Good Year moved it all, from what I was told by the sales manager of 32 black stores in NC . The Good Year store that I bought them at in Lumberton NC told me they were made in Fayetteville NC. WRONG I was not a happy camper. They told me they did not know and if I wanted to try and find a ST tire made in America that they would give me my full purchased price back, they said they didn't even know that. They checked for me because that is what I thought and requested an american made tire......

Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Owner/Operator

Can anyone with a 8289WS please tell me the measurements of the Front Storage where the battery is located?

Depth and available width at the bottom (where it is narrowest), and also the height from the floor to the connecting rod for the Landing Gear.

And while you're at it (LOL) also the height of the door opening.

Appreciate it. Obviously in the planning stage. RV goes on the production line on 1 March.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
Owner/Operator

The RV left the FR Factory today. I would imagine that by next Wednesday, I'll be doing a PDI (and probably Thursday as well).

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Quote:
The RV left the FR Factory today. I would imagine that by next Wednesday, I'll be doing a PDI (and probably Thursday as well).

RodeoGeorge
Welcome to the family, I think it is really a great unit, take your time when you walk it. I would still change out the tires to either Maxis or Marathon and "D" rated. They give you a "C" rated that I have never heard of and trust me they are GARBAGE and just meet the weight requirement which they have to do. Saying that I did get 9000 miles on them before I had trouble the first year, but I travel a lot. But I was always worried and and shot temps eveytime we stopped and checked pressures...

Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #18

I have to thank everyone who posts on this site. I have been researching 5th wheels for the last few years. I decided what I needed/wanted, and decided on the 8289WS. After lurking on this site (and others) I decided to upgrade tires, get slide toppers, etc etc. You folks have REALLY been helpful to me, in making my decisions. I am now a proud owner of a 8289WS, and looking forward to good times! Thanks
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I have to thank everyone who posts on this site. I have been researching 5th wheels for the last few years. I decided what I needed/wanted, and decided on the 8289WS. After lurking on this site (and others) I decided to upgrade tires, get slide toppers, etc etc. You folks have REALLY been helpful to me, in making my decisions. I am now a proud owner of a 8289WS, and looking forward to good times! Thanks
Congratulations Hans.

I'll be following in your footsteps in a few days, IF the snow cooperated with the delivery person.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
Owner/Operator

Got a call this morning that the RV is at the dealer. Going to take a "first look" this afternoon at 1:30, and will post comments later today.

Need I say, a bit excited. The salesman said that he was overwhelmed when he saw it with the options that we selected.

RodeoGeorge